Control Panel Fails to Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

512dude

XP Pro SP3
Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz
2GB Ram
NVIDIA Quadro4

The control panel fails to open and then the Desk Top flashes, all the icons on the Desk Top disappear and then reappear when:

1) I click on the Control Panel icon under the Start menu
2) click on Run under the Start Menu and type Control Panel
3) when I open a File Explorer window and click on the Control Panel icon

However, if I open a File Explorer window and expand the Control Panel icon by clicking on the + beside the Control Panel icon and then click on any of the sub items such as Administrative Tools, Fonts, Network Connections, Printers and Faxes, Scanners and Cameras or Scheduled Tasks and then go back and try any of the above three methods for opening the Control Panel, it now opens.

How to fix this issue?

What if I have a newer version of Windows XP loaded vs. the original Windows XP CD that I have. Will it cause an issue if I use the repair operation? I am concerned it will replace other files with older versions and create other problems.

That is it! xanimefanx!

I suggest the following..

Do the TechSpot 8 steps: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Skip no steps (do not install another virus scanner if you already have one, ask me before installing a Firewall).

Most importantly update MalwareBytes (MBAM) and SuperAntiSpyware (SAS)!

Before you scan with either MalwareBytes or SuperAntiSpyWare do the Extra Configs below these have become most important lately

SuperAntispyware extra config

After installed double-click the icon on your desktop to run it.

Update the program definitions.

Click the Preferences button.

Then Scanning Control.

In Scanner Options make sure all boxes are checked except #3 Ignore System Restore.. are checked:

MalwareBytes extra config

After update but before running
Click settings and confirm all are Checked.

I repeat Update these 2 programs.

Run them and attach their logs.

Mike

It must be the Service Pack as the original install, and the same XP (Home, or Profesional) as what was installed. After that, it is all luck. It does not have to be the same disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back