Cruel prank sees glass skywalk 'crack' as you walk across it

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Pranks that elicit a primal response from their target are great but those that can impact onlookers from half way around the globe are the cream of the crop. Such is the case with a recent viral video out of China.

The gag in question involves a tourist walking across a glass skywalk affixed to the side of a mountain in China’s Hebei Province. Management apparently thought it would be a good idea to replace a few of the glass floor panels with transparent LCD screens that simulate cracking glass as you walk across them, complete with sound effects.

Judging from the reaction of the guy in the clip, the prank certainly worked.

Of course, if you’re like me, you’d never put yourself in this situation to begin with due to an overwhelming fear of heights (just watching this clip makes me slightly nauseated).

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Thumbnail courtesy Getty Images

Permalink to story.

I think it's staged. Some people (the jokers) could get into some very serious trouble if it was real, especially if a somebody got hurt or even died... from a seizure.

In as much as it was built by the Chinese government I doubt there would be any serious trouble, but I have to admit the "prank" was in very poor taste, even if it was just a simulation. Of course, if I had thought it up it would have been brilliant!

Great, now if it actually starts to crack, nobody will take it seriously.

If a glass plate cracks beneath your feet, you aren't going to ignore it. As soon as you feel the shift in the glass, you will know its not a joke.

The fake crack will disappear, a real crack will be permanent. While watching the short videos you can see the cracks starting to disappear within a few seconds.

Back