TechSpot giveaway: Win a DJI Spark drone & a Star Wars BB-8 droid

Cruel prank sees glass skywalk 'crack' as you walk across it

By Shawn Knight ยท 10 replies
Oct 10, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. Pranks that elicit a primal response from their target are great but those that can impact onlookers from half way around the globe are the cream of the crop. Such is the case with a recent viral video out of China.

The gag in question involves a tourist walking across a glass skywalk affixed to the side of a mountain in China’s Hebei Province. Management apparently thought it would be a good idea to replace a few of the glass floor panels with transparent LCD screens that simulate cracking glass as you walk across them, complete with sound effects.

Judging from the reaction of the guy in the clip, the prank certainly worked.

Of course, if you’re like me, you’d never put yourself in this situation to begin with due to an overwhelming fear of heights (just watching this clip makes me slightly nauseated).

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Thumbnail courtesy Getty Images

Permalink to story.

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 8,461   +3,180

I think it's staged. Some people (the jokers) could get into some very serious trouble if it was real, especially if a somebody got hurt or even died... from a seizure.

3. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 3,086   +1,775

In as much as it was built by the Chinese government I doubt there would be any serious trouble, but I have to admit the "prank" was in very poor taste, even if it was just a simulation. Of course, if I had thought it up it would have been brilliant!

4. dms96960

dms96960 TS Addict Posts: 292   +52

This prank is brilliant (though the walk looks scary enough as it is).

5. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Evangelist Posts: 906   +270

It's China, I don't think our rules apply.

6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 8,461   +3,180

Perhaps. Their government doesn't seem to have much of a sense of humour so maybe the pranksters will be shot at dawn.

7. namesrejected

namesrejected TS Guru Posts: 381   +286

Oh dear, I'm so used to disliking China, but this stunt has me liking them.

8. veLa

veLa TS Evangelist Posts: 773   +221

Great, now if it actually starts to crack, nobody will take it seriously.

wiyosaya and dms96960 like this.
  9. davislane1

davislane1 Inquisitor Posts: 4,677   +3,704

If a glass plate cracks beneath your feet, you aren't going to ignore it. As soon as you feel the shift in the glass, you will know its not a joke.

10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 9,303   +3,356

The fake crack will disappear, a real crack will be permanent. While watching the short videos you can see the cracks starting to disappear within a few seconds.

11. Reehahs

Reehahs TS Maniac Posts: 473   +244

This could work well for breaking constipation.