Cyberpunk 2077 returns to the PlayStation Store next week with "performance issues" on PS4

midian182

Staff member
TL;DR: For all the problems Cyberpunk 2077 has had since launch, the worst is arguably its performance on last-gen consoles. The game performs so poorly on the PlayStation 4 that it was pulled from the PlayStation Store. Now, over six months later, CD Projekt Red's title is returning, albeit with a warning that performance issues on the PS4 remain.

It was back in mid-December, just a week after launch, that Cyberpunk 2077 was pulled from the Sony store "until further notice" following a massive backlash against a PlayStation 4 version that had horrendous performance problems, game-breaking bugs, graphical issues, and more.

Despite the many bug fixes, patches, and CD Projekt Red's insistence that it wants Cyberpunk 2077 to be a game it can be "proud of," the RPG has remained absent from Sony's store. But IGN yesterday reported that it was once again listed, though only for wishlisting and not for purchase. CD Projekt later confirmed in a regulatory announcement that it would return to the store on June 21.

A screenshot of the store taken yesterday, courtesy of IGN

"The Management Board of CD Projekt S.A. with a registered office in Warsaw hereby publicly discloses the decision by Sony Interactive Entertainment to reinstate the availability of the digital edition of Cyberpunk 2077 on PlayStation Store, effective on 21 June 2021," the company said.

Just because Cyberpunk 2077 is returning to the store doesn't mean all its problems on the PS4 are fixed. Sony is warning users to expect performance issues if they are running the PS4 Edition and that the PS4 Pro and PS5 will offer a better experience.

"Users will continue to experience performance issues with the PS4 edition while CD Projekt Red continues to improve stability across all platforms," Sony said. "SIE recommends playing the title on PS4 Pro or PS5 for the best experience."

Earlier this month a Cyberpunk 2077 comedy bug montage created by CD Projekt Red before the game launched leaked online, the result of a ransomware attack on the company earlier this year. Many of the clips actually look like they've been lifted straight from the PS4 version.

Permalink to story.

I downloaded Cyberpunk on my PC on Day 1 release and was blown away by how immersive and gorgeous and fun it was.

But lets be serious: short of a 2080Ti equipped PC with SSD storage and 32GB of DDR4 RAM, that game was NEVER going to work right on an oldass PS4 or Xbox.

The mistake CDPR made was ever announcing it for PS4 and Xbox. PS5 and XboxSX maybe...

My only problem with Cyberpunk 2077 was the lack of multiplayer or anything to do once you complete the game. sure you can go back and complete it again or do side missions, but I was hoping for more.

Why even bother? They had record sales without the PS4 & Xbox releases, so not sure why companies feel obligated to release next gen video games on such dated hardware.
It's still more sales at this point. PS4 and XB1 have bigger user bases compared to the stunted growth of the next gen consoles.

And I think MS is insisting on not leaving the XB1 behind for a few years. Sony doesn't care. However, I think CDPR will support PS4 for the Pro version (and because people already own it there despite it having problems).

I downloaded Cyberpunk on my PC on Day 1 release and was blown away by how immersive and gorgeous and fun it was.

But lets be serious: short of a 2080Ti equipped PC with SSD storage and 32GB of DDR4 RAM, that game was NEVER going to work right on an oldass PS4 or Xbox.

The mistake CDPR made was ever announcing it for PS4 and Xbox. PS5 and XboxSX maybe...
While the game is GPU intensive, the main thing holding back the performance on the older consoles is the CPU. The Jaguar cores are just not powerful enough and almost always holding the GPU back. Its like trying to use a Celeron Silver processor 5 years back, where even if you pair it with a RTX 3090, you will quickly run into a severe CPU bottleneck.

I feel the game should never be announced for the older consoles, since the developers should be aware of the limitations during their testing. Adding the older consoles in the list will increase the user base, allowing them to sell more, but what is the point when it runs badly and people can't enjoy it. Just makes people upset with them for "poor optimisation" for the older consoles. If they are going to get upset anyway, might as well not release it for older console in the first place.

While the game is GPU intensive, the main thing holding back the performance on the older consoles is the CPU. The Jaguar cores are just not powerful enough and almost always holding the GPU back. Its like trying to use a Celeron Silver processor 5 years back, where even if you pair it with a RTX 3090, you will quickly run into a severe CPU bottleneck.

I feel the game should never be announced for the older consoles, since the developers should be aware of the limitations during their testing. Adding the older consoles in the list will increase the user base, allowing them to sell more, but what is the point when it runs badly and people can't enjoy it. Just makes people upset with them for "poor optimisation" for the older consoles. If they are going to get upset anyway, might as well not release it for older console in the first place.

I agree with you. Which beckons the question: WHY DID THEY announce this for PS4 or Xbox?

Almost 6 months later, that's a yikes from me.

Seriously this game is just dead now but CDPR probably still makes enough money out of it to pretend it cares but well, they clearly don't: they've got your money.

I agree with you. Which beckons the question: WHY DID THEY announce this for PS4 or Xbox?

I think when they originally started development on it, they were doing it for PC and the older consoles so a lot of the marketing materials and promos were for the PS4/Xbox before the PS5/Series X were announced. Tldr: Long dev cycle means fulfilling original promises to the older consoles even if it should have been scrapped anyway.

PS4 is so underpowered it is farsical. I tried playing Witcher 3...there was a loading screen for every bit of dialogue. A conversation with a single NPC took 5 minutes. I can't imagine Cyberpunk being playable on PS4.

RDR2 looks better and runs correctly on PS4 and Xbone. And the game was in development way before the PS5 and Series, given the amount of bugs in the game it stand to reason that they made a pig's breakfast optimising the game.

RDR2 looks better and runs correctly on PS4 and Xbone. And the game was in development way before the PS5 and Series, given the amount of bugs in the game it stand to reason that they made a pig's breakfast optimising the game.

The distribution of NPC's in RDR2 vs CP2077 is on different levels. RDR2 has a few hundred NPC's spread over a map 3x times the size of CP2077. On top of that Night City where the major of the game is set has a much higher density of NPCs in a much smaller location.

The distribution of NPC's in RDR2 vs CP2077 is on different levels. RDR2 has a few hundred NPC's spread over a map 3x times the size of CP2077. On top of that Night City where the major of the game is set has a much higher density of NPCs in a much smaller location.
Given how NPCs appear and vanish suddenly and seem very basic on GTA V you have smarter NPCs. While the PS4 is powerless, I still think it's due to poor optimisation.

They made a mistake by releasing it on old consoles. At least PC gamers can play CP2077 on integrated graphics claiming "console experience".

Anything designed and intended for the PS5 will likely to run poorly on the PS4. So why put yourself through all of that frustration? Better to just find a game that runs fine on the PS4 and just wait until you can get the PS5. I still wouldn't bother even if you have a PS4 Pro either. It'll likely make both the PS4 and Pro run hot and shorten their useful life. The analogy is: A naturally aspirated V8 is usually better than a Turbo V6.

PS4 and PS4 pro have basically the same CPU though and it still runs a lot better on pro.

The game is not well optimized even on PC so it's no surprise it doesn't run well on last gen but if it were optimized, it might be ok. 30 fps at low res isn't asking too much IMO.

Back