Cyberpunk 2077's save files are corrupting when players craft too many items.

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: The disastrous Cyberpunk 2077 launch was yet another ‘2020 thing' to happen this year. In addition to the issues on last-gen consoles, bugs, and the threat of lawsuits, a new problem has arisen, one which permanently corrupts save files if they exceed 8MB in size. The solution? Don't craft so many items.

While the save issue was initially thought to affect all platforms, it is reportedly limited to the game's PC and Stadia versions. Users across the CD Projekt Red forums and Reddit did some investigating and concluded that save files over 8MB are being corrupted, with one user suggesting that crafting is the culprit.

CD Projekt Red has confirmed the issue on its help page. "Unfortunately the save is damaged and can't be recovered," it writes. "Please use an older save file to continue playing and try to keep a lower amount of items and crafting materials. If you have used the item duplication glitch, please load a save file not affected by it."

It's also recommended not to use the duplication glitch, which will almost certainly see your save files borked.

The company says that the file limit size might be increased in a future patch, but the corrupted files can't be fixed—bad news for those who've lost hours of gameplay.

Patches are arriving that address some of Cyberpunk 2077's many issues, but it's too little, too late for the unhappy players demanding refunds; a situation that led to Sony removing the game from its PlayStation Store. As if things weren't bad enough, CD Projekt is facing class-action lawsuits over claims it intentionally misled investors and shareholders.

Permalink to story.

nismo91

Nothing new. I'm pretty sure some of you who played Witcher 3 the same month it came out (May 2015) also have your fair share of "can't save right now" or "unable to load your saved game". it was one hell of a game though. so all is forgiven.

Adi6293

This happens when people exploit the multiple glitch mostly from what I read on twitter

Burty117

Crafting is pretty broken, I can buy a can of cola from a vending machine for €$10 then break it up into components worth €$68 or I could build a rare gun with it, then break that up for even more components but the gun is worth €$470 or there abouts.

amghwk

Since the same people seem to be commenting on this game, let me also continue commenting on it too. (Albeit not on the same track.) This game is premature, not finished and broken. Just like the pride of those who sailed the hype of this game. And those who staunchly and religiously supported CDPR. Enjoy.

Don't get me wrong. People feverishly look upon CDPR as a deity due to Witcher 3's fame (which ,again, I find to be overblown), and they refuse to believe anything otherwise, and despise anyone who contradicts them.

Yes, keep 'em coming.

*munching popcorn and awaiting backlashes*

Dennis83

Don't prematurely judge the creators of this title who had no say in this when money greedy investors were too impatient to wait for a realistic launch date. Cyberpunk 2077 is a great title and it's just sad that it got under bus because of some impatient aholes.

Uncle Al

After all the hype and then the apologies by their CEO, the game is still seriously flawed ...... go figure

yRaz

Since the same people seem to be commenting on this game, let me also continue commenting on it too. (Albeit not on the same track.) This game is premature, not finished and broken. Just like the pride of those who sailed the hype of this game. And those who staunchly and religiously supported CDPR. Enjoy.

Don't get me wrong. People feverishly look upon CDPR as a deity due to Witcher 3's fame (which ,again, I find to be overblown), and they refuse to believe anything otherwise, and despise anyone who contradicts them.

Yes, keep 'em coming.

*munching popcorn and awaiting backlashes*
I can't speak for everyone, but one reason that I like to keep an eye on CDPR is that they are one of the last "good" developers left, at least it seemed that way. With GoG releasing DRM freegames and not a micotransaction in sight, they're they only devs I even pay attention to. 2077 is the first new game I've actually played all year, I mostly play remasters because everything that comes out these days is trash.

Is CDPR without fail? no, but I'd argue that the rest of the industry is in such shambles that "just okay" is worth getting excited about.

Anyway, I haven't had any problems with 2077 since the v1.05 update. All the Crash to desktops I had, floating guns and animation issues have stopped. I still see cars do some weird stuff but I'm having a blast playing it. I have 84 hours in it so far and I can't put the game down. If a game can have that many bugs, crashes and gremlins but people keep playing it then it really speaks to its other qualities.

Athlonite

I hadn't bought a new game since FO4 arrived now I know why with 8 months of delays too and I quote CDPR just putting some Polish on the final product before release mmm hmmm yup so how bad was it when it supposedly went "Gold" then compared to what we got when it was finally released on December 10th it being already at version 1.02 on install all I can say is I'm never going to buy another new game on release I am however going to wait 6+ months and then see if it's worth it. Very disappointing release to say the least for something that's taken 8 years to produce