Dell readying 34-inch 21:9 display with 3440 x 1440 resolution

Scorpus

Staff member

Dell is not quite finished with the high-resolution monitor releases it seems. Plans for a new 21:9 aspect ratio display have been discovered, reported to be 34 inches in size and packing a resolution of 3440 x 1440; 40% fewer pixels than 4K Ultra HD, but still larger than the 2560 x 1080 used on most current 21:9 displays.

dell cinema display display monitor screen 219

It's said the display, which will be named the U3415W, contains an IPS LCD panel manufactured by LG, with the same vertical pixel count as many high-resolution WQHD (2560 x 1440) 16:9 monitors. The ultra-wide monitor with a pixel density of 110 PPI will be well suited for people wanting to use two applications side-by-side, or wishing to watch movies filmed in cinema widescreen.

The U3415W is expected to go on sale towards the end of December (or later) for a price between Dell's 27-inch WQHD and 30-inch Ultra HD monitors. It will be styled in a similar fashion to the current 29-inch 21:9 U2912WM (pictured above), but the final specifications (such as what ports will be on the monitor) remain unknown.

If the 21:9 aspect ratio doesn't tickle your fancy, perhaps Dell's other recent monitor releases will. For $1,400 you can net yourself a 24-inch Dell UltraSharp UP2414Q with a resolution of 3840 x 2160 (4K Ultra HD), or you can spend a full $3,500 for the 31.5-inch 4K-resolution UltraSharp UP3214Q.

A 28-inch Ultra HD model is expected to be released in 2014, with a price tag under $1,000, which will make it the most affordable 4K monitor on the market.

Permalink to story.

DELL UltraSharp UP2414Q is the only monitor to shake the market out of apathy, to finally match the quality of Macbook Pro screens for desktop computers.

Myself, I alternate between DELL U3014 on my desktop and 15" Macbook Pro Retina, and the difference in quality is so noticeable, I start using the latter more and more, it's quite an eye-candy.

UP2414Q is what all Windows users are going to love, and I'm looking forward to it...

This is a 34 " monitor... and has twice the pixels as the 24" model you keep talking about.

Secondly, what does a MacBook have to do with DELL monitors.. ?

DELL UltraSharp UP2414Q is the only monitor to shake the market out of apathy, to finally match the quality of Macbook Pro screens for desktop computers.

Myself, I alternate between DELL U3014 on my desktop and 15" Macbook Pro Retina, and the difference in quality is so noticeable, I start using the latter more and more, it's quite an eye-candy.

UP2414Q is what all Windows users are going to love, and I'm looking forward to it...

30" vs 15" ...........

30" vs 15" ...........

Yep. In my experience, web browsing on the new 15" Macbook pro while sitting on a couch is more joyful than doing the same on 30" DELL U3014 while sitting at the desk, no matter how comfy your chair might be (mine is the best also, the latest Herman Miller Aeron).

It's down to how relaxing it is on your back + on your eyes at the same time. And your eyes can't relax any more than with a retina display. If DELL makes that new model, things may change though...

Yep. In my experience, web browsing on the new 15" Macbook pro while sitting on a couch is more joyful than doing the same on 30" DELL U3014 while sitting at the desk, no matter how comfy your chair might be (mine is the best also, the latest Herman Miller Aeron).

It's down to how relaxing it is on your back + on your eyes at the same time. And your eyes can't relax any more than with a retina display. If DELL makes that new model, things may change though...

Meh I rarely touch my couch, mostly in the gaming room behind my desk. A 30" has much greater advantage, although picture quality on lower sized monitors is usually better. There are more pixels to cover on a larger screen.

Make sure the GPU/Hardware can handle the max VIS = visual image size of this monitor. Right now I am on dual mounted monitors 23" true edge to edge LED/LCD HD 46-inch. Pricey 34-inch though but 4K where most of us on 1920 x 1080P still. 4K prices will drop in a few years.

" cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:
I don't know about these 21:9 monitors. I can't help but think of them as the poor mans Eyefinity. lol"

Really? so you're telling me you would rather have 3 separate screens that are harder for your computer to run and have big black spaces between them (bezel) and costs 3 times as much? No thank you, I will take a single display that is barely harder to run than a standard single monitor yet has a much wider screen.

This dell appears to be a repackaged LG34UM95 (different frame with the same screen) , hopefully dell offers a better stand (height adjustable) and frame otherwise I'll be getting the original LG...

@guest

Or run 3 4K monitors for highest possible resolution.

Of course I am forced to stick with my 7680x1080 set up sadly since 4k widescreen is inhumanly expensive.

So for now, widescreen eyefinity should do it.

Also you get used to the bezels after playing games after a while and if your computer is good enough(like mine) to handle it, it isn't much of a problem like you make it out to be....

Back