Details on Nvidia's Tegra 4 processor leak online, packing 72-core GPU

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Chinese tech site Chip Hell has leaked what they claim are details about Nvidia’s next generation mobile processor. Codenamed “Wayne”, the Tegra 4 is said to be built using a 28-nanometer manufacturing process, a 4-Plus-1 Quad Core Eagle CPU and a whopping 72-core GPU. If you recall, the Tegra 3 is built on the less efficient 40-nanometer process.

The +1 core on the CPU will perform battery saving duties. Rumor has it that Nvidia will be utilizing four ARM Cortex-A15 cores for the CPU. According to the slides, the graphics subsystem is 20 times faster than the Tegra 2 and six times faster than current generation Tegra 3 parts. The GPU will reportedly be able to support displays up to 2,560 x 1,600 resolution and 1080p output at up to 120Hz. 

tegra nvidia tegra 4

If true, that’s some serious speed that will put pressure on other SoC makers to step their game up significantly. There will also be support for USB 3.0, dual-channel DDR3L memory and what’s described as a Super Speed Imaging chip.

It’s likely that we will hear more from Nvidia about the Tegra 4 at next month’s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. Nvidia chief executive Jen-Hsun Huang will be leading a keynote for the company during the show which is likely when they will unveil it.

Keep in mind, however, that even if we do see the Tegra 4 show up at CES, it’s unlikely that it’ll make its way to consumer devices and in your hands anytime soon.

Permalink to story.

Nu-uh...really? Woww.
So goes the untimely death of the 'CarPC'/Lillicomputing era--onward with Android mini PCs, I s'pose.
one more thing:
DANG!

I wonder if this thing will deliver better-than-current-gen-console graphics. Probably, yes.

I'll bet; my PC version of Section 8 looks much better than my 360 one, already...wonder how long 'til they put these in the little Android miniPCs...I'd like to know how they plan to cool these suckers in anything small.

Back