Do I have a virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day I was doing a virus scan with my anti-virus software, Symantec Anti-virus Corporate Edition and I noticed that the full scan said that it was completed after only about 10 minutes, when it usually takes close to 2 hours. It had only scanned 24,000 files. I ran a quick scan and the last thing to show up before the scan was complete was C:\Fauxvirus\carney ride.exe, which I thought sounded suspicious. I did a quick google search and became alarmed at the possibilities presented on various forums, etc. I immediately followed steps suggested by various sites:

* With my computer in safe mode, I ran a scan with SUPER Anti-Spyware (which came up clean)
* I then reset my system restore by turning it off, rebooting, turning it back on and running the AV scan again (nothing came up).
* I ran Symantec's Backdoor.Agent.B removal tool, which showed that I had no Backdoor Agent virus on my computer
* I ran Spybot Search & Destroy scan, Ad-Aware scan and Windows Defender scan (all complete scans, all came up clean).
* I did a scan with Sophos Anti-Rootkit and it came up clean.
* I then did a scan with Rootkit Revealer -- it came up clean.
* I did an online scan with Kaspersky, which showed viruses but they were in my Symantec Quarantine files -- after I deleted those the scan came up clean.
* I got a HijackThis log and didn't think I saw anything suspicious, although I am certainly not tech saavy so who knows. This post will be over the limit if I post my log file, but I can post it in a follow up if necessary. I even ran Process Explorer to see if anything suspicious was masquerading as a vital system process. Everything looked normal.

After doing all of this, my Symantec is still having the same problem. My question is, do I have a virus or is there something wrong with my software? I am at a complete loss as to what more I can do! Everything seems to be showing up clean, but I am completely paranoid that there is something hidden so deep in my system that it isn't showing up anywhere. Is that possible? My computer seems to be running normally. Please help! I am a poor graduate student and can't afford to have something go wrong with my computer!

Do yourself a big favor and get rid of Symantec. Before the week is out i will have dumped the corporate edition on at least a dozen machines. I have underestimated how much it slows things down and I have to give them credit for detecting the virus but why did i pay way too much for the product and not recieve protection from the darn things to begin with. The straw that broke the camels back was when they wanted $100 to help me get rid of the virus. Trust me follow the advice you get from Kimsland and you will be good to go
This is just my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back