Do I need software firewall if I have a router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while back I read the "Opinions" of several "Microsoft Most Valuable
Professionals" who encourage everyone to have a software firewall in
ADDITION to their router .

A while back I read the "Opinions" of several "Microsoft Most Valuable
Professionals" who encourage everyone to have a software firewall in
ADDITION to their router .

This is true, but it really depends on what you're doing. If all you're doing is playing games a Software firewall will more likely be an annoyance for you than helpful. If you have a Router you should put a strong password ( WPA encryption, WEP is cracked easily so any wardriver could do it ).

A firewall built into the router is perfectly fine on it's own as long as it's configured correctly even more so for wireless setups ie using WPA encryption etc, the firewall in the router does the same job as the software based ones sometimes better, you could have a software based one running as well if you want but i find it causes more problems than it's worth.

Running a personal firewall won't really benefit you much if you're behind a NAT router and it's firewall. It's just adding extra bloat that you don't need and two firewalls are pointless.

Personally on my system I run a wired router with it's own firewall and when booted into windows I don't use any kind of firewall at the local machine, not even the windows firewall.

Depends on the router. I would be sure one is installed when using the Linksys you have. You can see the value by watching for the trapped evils found in a computer with the average home router, with ZoneAlarm or Comodo installed. The numbers of evils that get through are troublesome. If you don't have a VPN firewall, you are not adequately protected.
Firewalls are always a pain sooner or later, but you do not want to be without one just because it occasionally causes problems.

For a laptop that travels about and uses any Hotspots, a firewall is mandatory.

Ports 135-139 + 445 must be denied in this case or everyone on the hotspot router
will have uncontrolled access to your shares.

So tell me what security are ya using? bundle or individual anti-virus + firewall+ antispyware?
NOD32 smart security doesnt always block or even catch it. i download a software off torrentportal that I knew would probly have a virus or spyware and sure enough it went unnotice but I knew it was infected because of all the BS that poped up. So what do ya recommend? Thanks.

Yes a firewall should be mandatory as extra protection because you can never have enough protection.
Try
comodo,or
Zonealarm

I ran the ZoneAlarm firewall for years. Then I got my first router. I kept ZA for 3 months to see what logged. Nothing did. My system was invisible on the internet. I removed ZA and have had no problems. But I must note that I am careful in my browsing, site access and opening email or attachments. That in itself has served me will. I also have an antivirus program and two spyware/adware programs which I use to scan with, updating each right before scans.

Personally, I don't care for bundles -- they try to do too much. I'd rather have a product
do one thing very well and then I can pick and choose 'the best' :)

At home: I have the benefit of my router plus that which follows;
When traveling, it's no longer my router so I have to be more aggressive and
have a profile( not PC profile, but firewall profile) for the HomeLan vs Roaming
where file sharing restrictions are very different.

To avoid issues, I use some proactive tools; Spybot S&D, Spywareblaster,
a host file from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
I also use email filters very aggressive to delete as much as possible of the spam
(sometimes it's as much as 70-80 per day)

To scan Email automatically, I'm using AVG 8.0 without the Resident and Weblink junk added to 8.0

Last year I had NO infections and this year only ONE was found in an email and it was handled by AVG.

I was thinking of using bitdefender as my antivirus and zonealarm pro as my firewall and spysweeper for spyware. So far those 3 are the #1 on top ten reviews.

I don't think you can do better with that combination. Some people will quibble about the BitDefender (I think Kaspersky, Antivir, and Avast are better), but Spy Sweeper and Zone Alarm have had the leadership roles for years... as a package, as good as you are likely to get.

Be careful with Spysweeper- a current version has an antivirus program bundled, so be sure you only get the version with the spyware/adware version.

Be careful with Spysweeper- a current version has an antivirus program bundled, so be sure you only get the version with the spyware/adware version.

Alright thanks. I probly run the 3 I named and see if the virus that can get pass NOD32 can get blocked with my combo.

Webroot Spy Sweeper New Version 5.5!
BUT
Webroot AntiVirus with AntiSpyware & Firewall New Version 5.5!

So you're going to have to check the program itself and not go by the version number. I do not see a 'name' for the version with the AV.

I found the one without the antivirus but I don't think it supports xp64bit.
http://www.webroot.com/En_US/consume...pysweeper.html

The program on the site you referenced says this:
Minimum System Requirements
* Windows Vista™ (32 bit versions of Home Basic, Premium, Business, or Ultimate) and Windows Vista™ SP1 (32 and 64 bit versions of (Home Basic, Premium, Business, or Ultimate) or Windows XP SP1 SP2, SP3 (32 bit versions of Professional, Home, Media Center, or XP Tablet)

Looks like it's okay for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back