Documents reveal TikTok censored numerous videos for the Chinese Government

William Gayde

Staff
Cutting corners: A new report details how TikTok's moderators are instructed to censor videos which may not be favorable to the Chinese government. ByteDance, the Beijing-based owner of TikTok, has numerous content policies which have been used to police the platform according to policies desired by the local government.

Documents shared with The Guardian show TikTok is censoring posts relating to Tiananmen Square, Tibetan independence, Hong Kong protests, banned religious groups, and more. Content infringement is divided into two parts: "violations" which are removed from the site, and "visible to self" which are posts that remain on the site, but are not distributed to other users through the algorithm.

The policies are overly broad such that they seem generic and unassuming, but are enforced in such a way that they allow the ban of certain controversial issues. For example, a ban on "demonization or distortion of local or other countries' history" is used to remove content on the Tiananmen Square Massacre. A ban on "highly controversial topic such as separatism" is used to ban content on Tibet and Taiwan. There are many examples of this process in the moderator guideline documents

Posts about the previous issues were classified in the less severe "visible to self" category. TikTok treats Religious posts promoting groups like Falun Gong more severely and bans posters. The Guardian also points out how posts regarding 20 prominent political leaders are not allowed, but Xi Jinping is not included in the list.

In response to the allegations, ByteDance stated that the content policy document has been retired and that it wasn't designed to reference specific issues. They claim this earlier approach was blunt and not scalable to TikTok's global audience. Their current approach is supposedly more localized with region specific moderators.

Permalink to story.

"their policies have changed since the guidelines were enforced"

My user EULA acceptance policy states that they owe each user account $100 upon acceptance of their EULA. The amount can be changed at any time.

TikTok disgusts me.
I just registered here at TECHSPOT to be able to reply to your 2-2019 comment about ankor's c type- lightning cable.can't seem to find that post again BUT read more of your Apple comments.BINGO.End to end control.& Of course $$$$.can anyone blame them..S.Jobs(RIP)knew the score from the beginning.No longer in this world & his vision is still going strong.Control .I'm an active member Of the Apple cult & don't see it changing any time soon.I was originally researching most durable MFI certified charging cord.& Here I am ...down the rabbit hole again...damit!I'd ask your opinion but gotta order now.anker seems good enough.have a 5 pack of inexpensive replacement cords in my Amazon cart right now,.probably best to dump them and get 1 thats reputable/MFI that won't damage anything. I'm not a Tech savvy person whatsoever.Apple is user friendly.that's why do many ppl convert isuppose.
Ps.tictoc does suck.

Back