Does the Ryzen 7 5800X3D Work on AMD B350 and X370 Motherboards?

Asrock finally provided the beta bios for my B350 board which enables Zen 3 support. This article answered my primary question regarding SAM support. Previously it was believed only 400 series or newer boards support SAM, but it looks like these new bios updates have changed that. Good work!

So what? Intel latest CPUs also work in motherboards from 2017!!

Nah, just kidding!! Intel's CPUs never did and never will!!

2 years from now, Intel customers will be buying new motherboards. Planned obsolescence was always Intel's MO.

Absolutely no doubt, Ryzen & AM4 was like you said, a HUGE WIN for consumers.

Like you say, if you own a 1st series Ryzen upgrading to Ryzen 5 5600 is a no-brainer and you'd still get some money back from ebay by selling your 1st gen Ryzen.

I still use my 4770K & Maximus VI Hero Z87 motherboard which has withstood 10 years of almost daily gaming at this point but it's a dead socket and I have no upgrade path by design.

I could not buy a Ryzen CPU back in 2013, so I guess I lost for not waiting until Ryzen came out but frankly every1, even insiders, though AMD was finished back in 2013 and very few believed they'd ever make a comeback.

The Intel fanboys can say what they want about AMD, but this only confirms to me that the AM4 platform is the greatest in PC history. Never before has a platform been able to do something like this (or at least, nobody allowed one to). I'd like to say that Intel got schooled on how to design a platform but I'm fairly certain that Intel changes motherboards before it's necessary just so that they can soak consumers for more chipsets. Just think of the e-waste reduction from having three generations of motherboards that you don't need to upgrade. That's literally millions of motherboards per year.

Steve, I know that you think that the A320 boards are "pretty garbage" (I can actually hear you saying it in my head... :laughing: ) but when you stop and think about it, the A-series boards make the most sense with CPUs like the 5800X3D because its multiplier is locked. Since the biggest disadvantage of the A-series boards is the fact that they don't support overclocking, I do believe that they're worth a look.

I personally think that it would be hilarious to see the R7-5800X3D beat the i7-12700KF in gaming using a lowly A320 motherboard. I'm actually now thinking of trying out an R7-3800X3D on my Biostar A320MH just for $hits and giggles.

Before you ask why I even have a Biostar A320MH board...

I was throwing a mining rig together for my RX 5700 XT but I had loaned out my ASRock X370 Killer SLI board to my stepfather while his ASUS X570 TUF Gaming was being RMA'd so that he'd have a working computer. So, I needed a motherboard to pop my R7-1700 into and I really didn't care which one as long as it was cheap. Well, it was on clearance at Canada Computers for $40CAD, about the same price as a stick of DDR4-2400. This was at a time when so many others were up around the $200 mark (about 6 months ago) and GPU mining doesn't need overclocking. So I got it and an 8GB DDR4-2400 stick ($35CAD) for mining.

Of course, then I came across that lovely reference RX 6800 XT for about $500 below the general going price at the time so I ended up dusting off my old FX-8350 and 990FX board because it could handle more than 1 GPU. The A320MH has been gathering dust with my R7-1700 installed in it ever since. Still, an AM4 motherboard at $40CAD is never a bad buy. :laughing:

Last edited:
I was waiting for this article Steve! Thanks!

If the 5800X3D was $350ish, I would drop it in. But for $470, that is a lot of money to drop when new cpus are coming and I always buy the next best thing if its a step above.

That being said, I did order a R5 5600 for $169 to replace the 1600 in my Tomahawk B350 board that my granddaughter uses.

2 years from now, Intel customers will be buying new motherboards. Planned obsolescence was always Intel's MO.

I wonder if there will be a difference between DDR4 and DDR5 600 series (Intel) boards when it comes to upgradeability.
Has there been any statement by Intel on this ? Particularly if Meteor Lake will even support DDR4 which I doubt.

I was an amd customer and still bought a new motherboard, since amd said there wont be any support for x370 (or x470 back in 2020). Just because they changed their mind doesnt make it good business practice.

Good stuff. Hopefully AM5 support will be just as good for the next 5 years. I'm comtemplating wether to go with Zen 4 or Raptor Lake.

If AMD gives the same kind of longevity to AM5 then it's a no brainer which one I'll for.

I honestly hope that's why they've increased power rating of AM5 socket AND doubled the minimum BIOS (EEPROM) size for AM5 boards. Main issue on AM4 was upgrading and supporting all those many CPU models, including high power ones on entry level boards.

I am waiting for first AM5 hands on, but at this moment, I still believe I will swap my Skylake PC for AM5/Zen 4. Get PCIe 5 and DDR5, and if 5 years later I can pop in a 150-200$ CPU as an upgrade, while PCIe 5.0 will still hold it's own, maybe add more RAM at that point, and continue another 3-4 years... Oh the hopes I have 😃

I have the B350 Tomahawk. For a long time that the 16mb problem was hitting and couldn't even change to a Zen 2, I wanted to change to a different motherboard, but I use the old PCI slot (and has only 4 SATA ports D:< ) so not a simple decision...
A lot more happy and satisfied with it now knowing that I could (and will) go to such processors.

No profit in keeping sockets 4-5 years.
I'll bet AMD did it with AM4 to get marketshare being a resurging AMD. They are in the spotlight now. If it was a no-brainer, they would have said already how long AM5 will last. Early boards are working and ES chips are running 5.5GHz.

Shareholders call the shots. AMD can suggest long socket life, but they can't demand it. AMD wants to mimic Intel more than you know, because that's how they got to $80B a year. The signs are all there. Long time 5600X was the cheapest and AMD didn't want Zen 3 on 300 and 400 series boards.

I'd limit your hype with this one. We'll see 3 year max with AM5. Intel most likely staying at 2 or 3. More like 2.

I was waiting for this article Steve! Thanks!

If the 5800X3D was $350ish, I would drop it in. But for $470, that is a lot of money to drop when new cpus are coming and I always buy the next best thing if its a step above.

That being said, I did order a R5 5600 for $169 to replace the 1600 in my Tomahawk B350 board that my granddaughter uses.
Sweeet upgrade!

I was an amd customer and still bought a new motherboard, since amd said there wont be any support for x370 (or x470 back in 2020). Just because they changed their mind doesnt make it good business practice.
Bingo!
And not a single article or other person on the internet has brought that up. Says a lot.

I bought X470 to get Zen 3, and if I didn't get it, I sure as heck wouldn't have bought AMD again anytime soon.

I Just hope AM5 can get an even better treatment than AM4, only the future will tell I guess...
Well, they have kinda set a precedent now. If they go back on it, people will be pissed. I imagine that AM5 will be at least as long-lived as AM4. AMD's getting a lot of fanfare because of this and it has kept more people on the red team who might otherwise have switched to blue (in the CPU space anyway).

I'm sure that AMD recognises this and will continue the trend because it's guaranteed to keep increasing their marketshare and mindshare, two things that are vital for AMD's continued competition in the CPU space.

Bingo!
And not a single article or other person on the internet has brought that up. Says a lot.

I bought X470 to get Zen 3, and if I didn't get it, I sure as heck wouldn't have bought AMD again anytime soon.

We brought this up in the last article.

"AMD did promise platform support until at least 2020 and bar a small hiccup that was quickly reversed, it's been mostly smooth sailing for those who bet on Ryzen early and had a clear upgrade path in subsequent generations."
https://www.techspot.com/article/2473-why-ryzen-was-amazing/

I also fought for AMD to reverse that decision:

Sure the 300-series was never on the table but that doesn't mean there aren't loads of people still using a 300-series board who can now upgrade. We also said that this move benefits AMD so while t's great they're doing it, it's just smart business, nothing more.

Well, they have kinda set a precedent now. If they go back on it, people will be pissed. I imagine that AM5 will be at least as long-lived as AM4. AMD's getting a lot of fanfare because of this and it has kept more people on the red team who might otherwise have switched to blue (in the CPU space anyway).

I'm sure that AMD recognises this and will continue the trend because it's guaranteed to keep increasing their marketshare and mindshare, two things that are vital for AMD's continued competition in the CPU space.

The end result is, we can put the latest Zen3 CPU on a 5 year old MOBO, but still we can't forget that AMD basicaly said "screw you" to X/B300 and X/B400 owners.

You swam in early adopters problems but in the end "nope, buy new mobo for R 5000".

400 series was temporary, but shouldn't have happen in the first place...
For 300, it was literally necessary for a INTEL come back to even have that change...

It's still more than INTEL, fair, but I hope AM5 can have less of this moments and more of a "smooth sailing" than AM4, which isn't guaranty.

Smart move from AMD, well done, but only time will tell if AM5 will be better or at least the same in term of upgrading path. Anw, congrats to those users with x370 and b350 motherboards!!

Would be nice to get a notable high end AM5 board with beefy VRMs and some reasonably priced DDR5 in the next 12 months. If that gives the ability to drop in a massive CPU upgrade in 2026/27 or something like that.

I still doubt AMD's willingness to support a socket and chipset that long again but I would be on board. They stated that a 5 year support plan is on the cards for AM5. We'll see.

We brought this up in the last article.

"AMD did promise platform support until at least 2020 and bar a small hiccup that was quickly reversed, it's been mostly smooth sailing for those who bet on Ryzen early and had a clear upgrade path in subsequent generations."
https://www.techspot.com/article/2473-why-ryzen-was-amazing/

I also fought for AMD to reverse that decision:

Sure the 300-series was never on the table but that doesn't mean there aren't loads of people still using a 300-series board who can now upgrade. We also said that this move benefits AMD so while t's great they're doing it, it's just smart business, nothing more.
I agreed as much that it was a smart move.
Point being it had at least two big hiccups and the long AM4 life did its job to get people to take notice of AMD. AMD isn't a budget brand anymore.

I strongly believe 4 year socket life days are over, because all the signs are pointing that way. That's all.

I have a Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 and It's a nightmare to update even to get Zen 2 to work on it and even worse Gigabyte has one update that has no instructions that ends up causing bootloops due to the dual bios reverting back to original out of the box bios that won't boot. The forums have an epic thread about and how you have to do the bios update methodically by disabling dual bios, actually flashing the back up bios to the latest, then turning dual bios back on, and updating bios again. Gigabyte totally silent on the issues and again users had to find solution. Will never buy their stuff again.

I applaud AMD for working with motherboard manufacturers to get this working.

There's been a few comments about why didn't AMD do this sooner? Has anyone thought AMD didn't want a fiasco where they have to send out motherboards or CPU's on loan because someone tried to install a Ryzen 5600X in a older motherboard that at the time couldn't support it? I believe they had a similar issue when the Ryzen 2600 came out and some motherboard manufacturers were still selling B350/X370 motherboards that hasn't been flashed to the latest BIOS.

Great article Steve, I might sell my Ryzen 5 3600 and pick up a Ryzen 5600X to sit in my B350 Prime Plus.

Back