driver fix gone wrong!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i really need help with this one guys i like ur forums and they seem to be really helpful so here i go...

my computer was running just fine nothing laggy or odd to my knowledge anyway i had defragmented all my drives about 4-5 days before downloaded nothin but videos, i had been playing with my friends on ts2 and had disided to play oblivion only thing was it was on my external hdd so i plugged it in and then i had recieved a message i had seen before saying my hdd was plugged in to a slow usb port wich i dont have i only have 2.0 ports i had checked to make sure i had not installed coolbits a overclocking program wich had caused the problem previously on my 6800gt graphics card and asus motherboard i did what i thought right go restart my comp check the bios then countinue, but still no luck not 2.0, so i disided to return to a previous driver the new 91.31 had some new sli thing that i didnt like so i got the old 89.41 driver and installed it when i finished it asked to restart and thats when it began, it shut down aok started up came to the loading screen ok loaded up got to the splash screen that blank one right before the user loggin shows up... exept the user liggin never showed up no mouse just a backlit black screen i got nervous and restarted... again nothing i scrolled my mouse to the bottem corner of the screen then slightly up and to the left and clicked were the account would be i waited looked at the hdd light and then the loggin sound came on... oh **** no video.... turned it off then went to safe mode it locked up at agp440.sys and didnt countinue... vga mode nothin... debug mode nothin... put in my old 5200 card tried it normal nothin... safe nothin... vga yes got it... i went to go install the driver it haddent finished ok finish back to 89.41 nope just stopped at 50% for and hour i waited... then i looked for vireses nothin... spywere just cooking and a scary trace of a program called any@web a email recorder that runs in the backround... nothin else though... so after i felt safe that it would go back to normal i shut down plugged in my old card nothin on normal but debug mode worked tried to install the driver then restart and then nothin on anything not even with my other card im really screwed up please help!!!

processor pentium 4 3.0 prescott dual core (registred dual core not physical)
1gig ram
6800gt graphics card agp
asus mobo not sure its about 5 years old
2hdd 1 partioned c: and D: c: has os D: just data and the other a 250gig data disk
sound card by creative
xp pro (not 64bit edition)

Well Phil..we have a VERY SIMILAR problem.
I was ugrading a Dell 8300 3.0 512RAM WIN XP SP2
Old card worked slow but well..FX5200. I installed a ATI 9800..
Here is a post from several other tech boards I have posted on tonight..

"I was upgrading a Dell 8300 from 5200 to 9800ATI. Had no reds.
Installed Catalyst drivers 7/18. Found it to be a bent pin on monitor cable.
Changed monitors..got all colors but had driver disabled. I reinstalled
drivers rebooted and now I hear the Win start up sounds but screen is
black (almost).
Computer hangs in safe mode start up at "agp440"
I tried repair from Win XP disk no help. I reinstalled FX5200 same
thing.

Bad AGP slot or software mess ?"

I thought maybe a bad AGP slot but the reboot to load the Catalyst drivers was after the ATI card was working. It seems like hardware as mine locks at the same AGP440 on safe mode.

I am stumped..I air sprayed the slot..the ATI is new. The 5200 does exactly the same. I can hear the windows logon sound..but black..actually some light but black.

If I hear anything helpful I'll be back to you.

Here is another forum I posted this on
http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=122003

And another
http://experts.about.com/q/Video-Card-Problems-2109/index.htm

I thought corrupt driver..as I do get splash..but lock up at "agp440" in safe mode ?

I tried repair from XP disk. Boot from CD. Changed Video from AGP to Auto.

Stumped. Only that you have this problem too makes me hope it's soft not dead AGP slot.

Keep in touch..hopefully will get it straight.

Problems when Windows XP tries to load the Agp440.sys service
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 324764
Last Review : January 19, 2006
Revision : 2.0
This article was previously published under Q324764
SYMPTOMS
When you install Windows XP, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
• When you restart your computer, you may be prompted to use the Last Known Good configuration. When you do so, your computer may stop responding (hang) during the restart, and each time you restart thereafter.
• You may be prompted to run ScanDisk. When you do so, your computer may stop responding (hang). If you do not run ScanDisk, your computer may start correctly. However you are prompted to run ScanDisk every time you start your computer, and if you do so, your computer may stop responding (hang).
• When you restart your computer, your computer may stop responding (hang).
• If you try to restart your computer in Safe mode, your computer may stop responding (hang) when Windows XP tries to load the Agp440.sys service.
Back to the top Back to the top
CAUSE
This issue may occur if Windows XP tries to use an incompatible motherboard chipset video driver during startup.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, follow these steps to disable the Agp440.sys service.

Important You must know the administrator password to complete the following procedure. If you do not know the administrator password, contact your system administrator. After you complete this procedure, any video adapter driver you have installed will be disabled, and Windows XP will use default VGA drivers.
1. Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into the computer CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer from the CD-ROM.

Note Some computers may require that you modify the basic input/output system (BIOS) settings before you can start the computer from a CD-ROM. For information about how to modify the BIOS, see your computer documentation.
2. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. Press the number key that corresponds to the installation that you want to repair, and then press ENTER.
4. Type the password for the administrator account of that installation, and then press ENTER. You receive a drive:WINDOWS> prompt, where drive is the drive on which Windows XP is installed.
5. Type listsvc, and then press ENTER.
6. Make sure that the Agp440 service is listed, and that the startup type is set to "Boot".
7. Press ESC.
8. Type disable agp440, and then press ENTER.
9. You receive a message that the registry setting for this service was found, and that its current startup state is "service_disabled".
10. Type exit, and then press ENTER.
11. If you are prompted to start in Safe mode or Normal mode, start in Normal mode.
12. Log on to your computer.
Windows XP includes default video drivers that make it possible for your monitor to work. However, some features may not work as you expect with these default drivers. Update your motherboard chipset video drivers periodically. To do so, visit your computer manufacturer's Web site, and download the most recent drivers for your video adapter.
MORE INFORMATION
For more information about a related topic, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
307654 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/) How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

Ok, well sometimes you get a bad driver. Eg:After my latest reformat, I downloaded all the new drivers. One of the drivers for my graphics card went bad and totally screwed up my pc. Had to reformat again. Downloaded excactly same driver from excact same site and no problem. Good luck anyways.

Regards,

Korrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back