Egypt bans YouTube for a month over 2012 Prophet Muhammad video

midian182

Staff member

Since its inception over a decade ago, a number of countries have placed temporary bans on YouTube, usually due to objections over certain content. Joining this list is Egypt, which is about to block the video streaming site for a month—a punishment for showing the controversial 2012 video “The Innocence of Muslims.”

The 14-minute clip, which a consultant said was a “trailer” for a full-length film that was only shown once at rented theatre in Hollywood, caused outrage in Arab and Muslim nations when it arrived on YouTube in 2012. The US-made video's portrayal of the Prophet Muhammad as a pedophile and buffoon resulted in anti-American protests around the world that resulted in injuries and even deaths.

Law experts said the government could not prosecute the film’s producers because of US freedom of speech laws.

In 2013, Egypt’s Ministry of Communications and Information Technology was ordered to block YouTube by a lower administrative court over the video, but the case had been stuck in the appeals process ever since.

Reuters reports that the ministry said at the time such action would disrupt Google's search engine and could incur potentially huge costs and job losses in Egypt. Now, the country’s top administrative court has ordered the month-long ban.

Pakistan was another country to ban YouTube as a result of the video. The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority ordered access blocked in 2012. The block wasn’t officially lifted until 2016 when YouTube launched a local version of the site. Afghanistan, Bangladesh, and Sudan also blocked the service over YouTube’s failure to remove the clip.

Most of the video’s anti-Islamic content was dubbed over the original cast's spoken lines. Those involved with the film have disavowed it.

The Egyptian ban is considered final and cannot be appealed. The ruling states that all links to the film also be blocked. As of Saturday afternoon, YouTube was still accessible in the country’s capital city, Cairo.

Permalink to story.

Media countries ban going in or out of their country is their business, as long as they don't label the ban as Net-Neutrality.

This is nonsense. Did YouTube obliged them to watch those videos? Also, VPN is just a simple way to avoid the ban. Come on, at least cut the Internet cord if you really wanna do something

Ok so talking about imaginary sky gods and the horrid things their followers do is offensive … but what they do (human rights violations) in the name of said imaginary sky god is ok ?? …. Hahahaha what double standards religions have, it should only reinforce the walking away from religion.

btw Odin would totally smash Muhammad and Jesus in a fight, and they wouldn't dare step up to Ra

Tonight on Moonday night Ra, we got the wine maker showdown "Dionysus vs Jesus" … Early tonight Dionysus said "I created wine and I can summon it on command, somebody needs help from water to play a simple parlor trick" …. Looks like Jesus is going to have 2 sore cheeks after tonight's match-up Chuck.

Hahahaha what double standards religions have, it should only reinforce the walking away from religion.
You are absolutely correct. And for the most part false prophecy has done just that, even within the majority of religions.
btw Odin would totally smash Muhammad and Jesus in a fight, and they wouldn't dare step up to Ra
My, don't we love mockery.

I'm gonna send you on a quest. Prove to me God is not real. I'm not gonna bother waiting for an answer. Because I know you will never have one. Your disbelief is just another religion that can't be proven.

You are absolutely correct. And for the most part false prophecy has done just that, even within the majority of religions.

I'm gonna send you on a quest. Prove to me God is not real. I'm not gonna bother waiting for an answer. Because I know you will never have one. Your disbelief is just another religion that can't be proven.

Proof god doesn't exist …. simple (history book) .. we went from Odin to Zeus to Ra to Yahweh to etc. etc. each version lasts a few thousand years until society realizes they don't make sense then they make up a new version … if God inspired the bible why did the original say the earth was flat and then the Church lock up Galileo for doing some math ??? … History proves it as does any logical thought, the reason science and religion can't mix is religion is based on a lack of evidence and proof (hence faith)

Faith being the lack of evidence or proof … sky worshippers are of lower education so they fail to see why the ruling class uses religion as a tool for control. (ie. sky santa sees all)

answer this simple question "if Jesus only helps those who helped themselves, who did he help?" Answer : no one

and since this was a quest and I am a knight of knowledge I will slay the dragon, the bible says "with 1 fell swoop of the dragons tail, a third of the stars fell from the sky" (meaning : god is a dragon, stars are angels, this was reference to casting out Lucifer's lot... so My quest is over and I slayed the Dragon aka god

Last edited:
@LordFox, I asked for proof, not a reply based on your belief.

Obviously not of ruling class (lower class eww!) and should seriously learn the difference between belief and knowledge …

Did I write the History book myself … do you not know about India and their 1000's of sky gods ?? … do you not know about King James rewriting the bible to suit his needs when people wouldn't kill French (commandments am I right?) …

point is simple, I did my homework and can quote the bible, I read the whole thing have you ?

do you seriously blame women for sin ??? (sexism extreme)

or that the catholic church was founded by fascists and supported the Nazi's ? (real gods work)

you have shown your education to be wanting , good day and remember that you joined a group that has murdered more than the plague and cancer combined … wonderful people

sadly my moral standards are too high for your god :(

sadly my moral standards are too high for your god :(
This will be my last off topic comment on this subject.

It really is sad, you thinking people's actions are a direct reflection of God's standards. Your disbelief does not prove God's nonexistence.

sadly my moral standards are too high for your god
For the record, I don't currently claim him as my God. That doesn't mean I believe he doesn't exist. I've seen things that cannot be explained. Those things however are to strengthen my belief, not my ability to prove God's existence. And if you are as intelligent as you say you are, you can't ignore the possibility unless you can prove it.

Maybe it is you that needs to look up the definition of belief, because belief goes both ways when there is no proof. In a way I'm not just asking for disproof, I'm asking for proof either way.

Until there is proof either way, this should not be discussed on a technical forum. Now as I stated before, where is your proof?

So, Muslims that rioted and killed over a video they disliked are not the ones being blamed, it's youtube which hosted the video. That's nuts.

I find it amazing whenever this is brought up. Why is the onus of proof on the 3rd party rather than those who are making the claim?

By that logic everything should initially be taken as fact only to be disproven later.

Did you know I can fly by flapping my wings? Its true. If you don't believe me prove me wrong.

You owe me $50. Prove that you don't.

All God's bow down to the ultimate God. The God of God's. The all mighty T-Rex riding, Alien *** kicking Duke Nukem. Hail to the king baby.
That's absolutely true. I'm sorry if it flies in the face of your beliefs. Prove me wrong if you think otherwise.

See how ridiculous your viewpoint is?
Probably not as you sound like a religious nut job.
True logic is something alien to you.

Surely if you believe in God you should also believe in Fairy's, Santa Claus, Elves, Dragons, Leprechauns and Goblins. There's just as much historical evidence that they too exist(ed).

That's why Science is amazing. A theory is brought forward and it remains just a theory until proven with tangible evidence. And then once the evidence has been presented it's up to the people of the world to peer review it. That way you find the truth.

I really don't understand how people can believe in something that is so outlandish as a God and with zero actual evidence of his existence. Thankfully overtime that will sort itself out.

By that logic everything should initially be taken as fact only to be disproven later.
No! I've heard the "prove he exist" for far too long. I will now ask for proof he doesn't exist to counter.

I really don't understand how people can believe in something that is so outlandish as a God and with zero actual evidence of his existence. Thankfully overtime that will sort itself out.
That is because there is evidence, just not that can be used as proof. You are using the lack of replies for "prove he exist" as evidence "he doesn't exist". I'm simply showing you how stu-pid that is by opening a conversation from the other side.

I will extend my question once more for you as well. Prove God does not exist. Until then lets get back to the topic. Because God's existence doesn't have anything to do with Egypt's ban on YouTube.

No! I've heard the "prove he exist" for far too long. I will now ask for proof he doesn't exist to counter.

That is because there is evidence, just not that can be used as proof. You are using the lack of replies for "prove he exist" as evidence "he doesn't exist". I'm simply showing you how stu-pid that is by opening a conversation from the other side.

I will extend my question once more for you as well. Prove God does not exist. Until then lets get back to the topic. Because God's existence doesn't have anything to do with Egypt's ban on YouTube.

I lost several IQ points reading that reply.

I lost several IQ points reading that reply.
One mans trash is another mans treasure. I knew from the start our IQ's would not align. What is strange about that? And what does that have to do with this topic? I bet you have never heard of educated idiocy. High Intelligence doesn't mean anything, and you keep basing your comments on IQ ratings. Which by the way is a matter of perception, just like religion which you keep bashing. When in reality this topic probably doesn't effect you at all and never will. So at the end of the day you got your feathers ruffled for nothing. All because you can't understand why someone would believe in God (aka: their deity).

Wow...gee...for a whole month? Hmmm...so your religious fortitude goes but so far in the face of losing profits or using a platform that somehow violates your precious beliefs.

Proof god doesn't exist …. simple (history book) .. we went from Odin to Zeus to Ra to Yahweh to etc. etc. each version lasts a few thousand years until society realizes they don't make sense then they make up a new version … if God inspired the bible why did the original say the earth was flat and then the Church lock up Galileo for doing some math ??? … History proves it as does any logical thought, the reason science and religion can't mix is religion is based on a lack of evidence and proof (hence faith)

Faith being the lack of evidence or proof … sky worshippers are of lower education so they fail to see why the ruling class uses religion as a tool for control. (ie. sky santa sees all)

answer this simple question "if Jesus only helps those who helped themselves, who did he help?" Answer : no one

and since this was a quest and I am a knight of knowledge I will slay the dragon, the bible says "with 1 fell swoop of the dragons tail, a third of the stars fell from the sky" (meaning : god is a dragon, stars are angels, this was reference to casting out Lucifer's lot... so My quest is over and I slayed the Dragon aka god

The bible has always said the earth was a sphere. It was atheists that said the earth was flat.
It was the Catholic church that locked him up. Catholics have their own rituals that are man-made. "The Catholic Church stated that Galileo could not be a devoted Catholic and a scientist at the same time" Nowhere in the bible does it say this. Again, a Catholic thing. Not Christian.

"worshippers are of lower education" Please provide links. There are many scientists who are Christians. That you do not agree with them is your opinion. I was not aware opinions meant you are of "higher" education. lol...

I find it comical you think there is no God and everything came from nothing, yet you probably believe there are sky aliens from other worlds.

The bible has always said the earth was a sphere. It was atheists that said the earth was flat.
It was the Catholic church that locked him up. Catholics have their own rituals that are man-made. "The Catholic Church stated that Galileo could not be a devoted Catholic and a scientist at the same time" Nowhere in the bible does it say this. Again, a Catholic thing. Not Christian.

"worshippers are of lower education" Please provide links. There are many scientists who are Christians. That you do not agree with them is your opinion. I was not aware opinions meant you are of "higher" education. lol...

I find it comical you think there is no God and everything came from nothing, yet you probably believe there are sky aliens from other worlds.

You claim "YOUR god" is real … yet Zeus, Ra, Odin aren't ??? ... HISTORY has proven that gods are man made and they get ditched after a period of time … You "believe" there is 1 king and he is our father in heaven and the 1 other with his name on the cover ???

An education would teach you of other gods, an education would teach you of the bible rewrite by King James (the other king) because he couldn't get puritans to fight the French …
An education is obviously lacking

HAHAHAHA … lower education !!!

SCIENTISTS require proof and evidence …. Faith is based of neither … So no REAL SCIENTIST believes in sky gods

SCIENTISTS require proof and evidence …. Faith is based of neither … So no REAL SCIENTIST believes in sky gods
That is more flat Earth nonsense. If it can't be proven it doesn't exist. At least a scientist keeps an open mind, so that there will be discovery. You seem to have closed the door to new discovery. So therefor you don't believe in science either. What a shame! If you open your mind you can see that they both exist together, and that there is no separation between them.

If we are not allowed to preach about God's existence. Then you are not allowed to preach about God's non-existence.

HAHAHAHA … lower education !!!
We can both sit on our fence throwing the same stone at each other. Ones education level can only be interpreted by perception on education. And thinking ones education level can eventually educate God out of existence, makes you look narrow minded. Because you are no longer looking for discovery.

That is more flat Earth nonsense. If it can't be proven it doesn't exist. At least a scientist keeps an open mind, so that there will be discovery. You seem to have closed the door to new discovery. So therefor you don't believe in science either. What a shame! If you open your mind you can see that they both exist together, and that there is no separation between them.

If we are not allowed to preach about God's existence. Then you are not allowed to preach about God's non-existence.

We can both sit on our fence throwing the same stone at each other. Ones education level can only be interpreted by perception on education. And thinking ones education level can eventually educate God out of existence, makes you look narrow minded. Because you are no longer looking for discovery.

I have a degree in science … they have what is KNOWN as the scientific method … sky gods all fail this test, keep your delusions but remember this, you have never spoken to god, gods haven't done anything in history. And keep up your anti-Semitic views of Jews don't believe in heaven so they all go to hell and your sexist views of women are responsible for sin .. etc. etc. … all sky worshippers are EVIL people because they follow violent and misleading doctrines.

You are a hypocritical psychopath who needs therapy and de-brainwashing .. reality isn't close to your views, seek help and take care

Why does your loving god keep out Jews for not believing in Jesus ? … or punish those who commit suicide from living in pain ?

Not a loving or intelligent being obviously

Back