Files won't open in Windows 7

The Viking

I've had computer problems for the past 2 weeks ... some of the symptoms are (These happen intermittently):

- Can't open Task Manager by double clicking task bar.
- Can't open Hearts or other files and games in Start menu.
- Avast presents with "We're embarrassed ... can't open" screen with 2 options (1 Exit. 2 Retry). And Avast is disabled. Even in Safe Mode.
- When I run a full virus scan with Avast, even after an hour, I'm presented with a "progress" screen that shows 0% even after an hour.
- Hotmail/Outlook (email service) won't open.
- On Start Menu, Restart and/or Shut Down do nothing.
- File folders take forever to load and/or populate.
- Sometimes when a web page doesn't load, there's a message in the bottom left that says, "resolving host". Page is usually still trying to load and usually never completes ... endless loop?
- Links on some pages don't load, although the busy little arrowed circle (top left) seems to be trying.

Broni has helped me in the past with issues ... he's very good at fixing problems.

Thank you,

Dennis

Try RIGHT clicking taskbar & on the pop up menu you should see multiple options, click Task Manager & see if it works.

Hi Learnin ...
Tried that ... sometimes Task Manager comes up, sometimes not.

All I know is that something has got a hold of my computer. Many things don't work the way they should.

It sounds like an infection and normally folks go to the relevant section in the forum run by Broni. You've been there a few times though. We all have an occasional problem but this looks serious so you need to consider a different approach. I'd do a fresh install of Windows 7 - which is a long process. I'd rethink my AV software because Avast hasn't coped and also review the use to which you are putting the computer. Is it being used for accessing dubious websites or downloading files via torrents for example? The security built into Windows 10 is also stronger than Windows 7 so in your case that may be worth considering. Have a go with something like Malwarebytes free or SAS while you think about your options.

It sounds like an infection and normally folks go to the relevant section in the forum run by Broni. You've been there a few times though. We all have an occasional problem but this looks serious so you need to consider a different approach. I'd do a fresh install of Windows 7 - which is a long process. I'd rethink my AV software because Avast hasn't coped and also review the use to which you are putting the computer. Is it being used for accessing dubious websites or downloading files via torrents for example? The security built into Windows 10 is also stronger than Windows 7 so in your case that may be worth considering. Have a go with something like Malwarebytes free or SAS while you think about your options.

Hi Bazz,
I've seen your name before on this site ... thanks for your insight.
Yes, I have visited dubious sites and, yes again, I have used torrents. But not daily, weekly, or even monthly. And only sites that haven't produced problems in the past. None of us are saints and I agree that problems happen from time to time. Who knows ... maybe I picked up this latest infection by visiting Grandma Daisy's Chicken Soup Recipe site.

Fresh install of Win 7 will be my last option because I'm fully -- and painfully -- aware of how long the process can be ... mostly because of the Windows update process (with all the configuring). That process alone can take days.

The free upgrade period for Win 10 is over, so that's not an option either. I waited a long time before deciding NOT to get Win 10 ... there were just too many negative reviews of that OS for me to switch.

Avast has always served me well. All of my security programs are the free versions because I live in poverty and can't afford the bills I already have, so the paid versions are out of reach for me. Malwarebytes has never caught anything in all the years I've used it. I tried the trial version one time and I saw it performed better, but then the trial period expired. Never heard of SAS.

I am grateful for all the hard (and seemingly endless) work and time you and your fellow contributors at TechSpot perform. You have saved countless people by fixing their problems. I would be happy with anybody going through the steps to help clean my system, but could you provide a link or instructions so I can reach Broni?

Thank you,

Dennis
The Viking

Hi Learnin ...

I use Super all the time and just reinstalled Malwarebytes. The other 2 are ones Broni will have me download, if memory serves.

Thank you for the links and your willingness to get your hands dirty -- I'll click your Broni link and see if he chews me out for sloppy computer use !!!

Hi Learnin ...

I use Super all the time and just reinstalled Malwarebytes. The other 2 are ones Broni will have me download, if memory serves.

Thank you for the links and your willingness to get your hands dirty -- I'll click your Broni link and see if he chews me out for sloppy computer use !!!
Ok, you said "Never heard of SAS". which is why I included SuperAntiSpyware :)

Myself, if the system had been badly compromised I'd not feel happy using it for any use involving financial transactions or personal information and would reinstall. Some of the threads on our malware site involve more work than a fresh install and on occasions other problems appear. As far as Windows 10 goes it seems you like it not - on this forum many hate it. What it does have going for it is that there is good security built in and it is evolving. Microsoft haven't changed the 10 but they roll out new editions. Just as with Windows 7 you can buy Windows keys on eBay which will validate your first install of Windows 10. They are cheap and a legitimate purchase. I bought a couple years back for Windows 7 and that worked very well. The free upgrade is long gone now so an upgrade involves losing all software and files unless they are already saved elsewhere.

If you have the OEM hardware on the bottom of the PC (laptop) has Windows Key you use that on Windows 10 upgrade. You still get that for free from them If you can't get Windows 7 to boot or run. Sounds like it damage file system wise you won't be able to fix that problem takes too many hours. Most techs won't waste the time on that and just re-install a fresh license copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft. As long as you use license Windows Key from Windows 7. Again the tag is on the bottom of laptop and on the side or back of desktop could be on the bottom also. Might be worn off that would lead to problem otherwise. I enjoy using Windows 10 after the past updates it more stable now. I run that 100% here no more Windows 7 after all those years using it I had enough of it. Windows 10 uses your current hardware where Windows 7 really didn't know what you had. Makes plug and play look like child play..

One word about upgrading to Windows 10 you should not upgrade you should do a full install that would wipe out all prior files on the system. But that works out better 100% because what ever caused this issue in the first place will be destroyed.

If you have the OEM hardware on the bottom of the PC (laptop) has Windows Key you use that on Windows 10 upgrade. You still get that for free from them If you can't get Windows 7 to boot or run. Sounds like it damage file system wise you won't be able to fix that problem takes too many hours. Most techs won't waste the time on that and just re-install a fresh license copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft. As long as you use license Windows Key from Windows 7. Again the tag is on the bottom of laptop and on the side or back of desktop could be on the bottom also. Might be worn off that would lead to problem otherwise. I enjoy using Windows 10 after the past updates it more stable now. I run that 100% here no more Windows 7 after all those years using it I had enough of it. Windows 10 uses your current hardware where Windows 7 really didn't know what you had. Makes plug and play look like child play..

One word about upgrading to Windows 10 you should not upgrade you should do a full install that would wipe out all prior files on the system. But that works out better 100% because what ever caused this issue in the first place will be destroyed.

Thanks for those tips and advice, Tipster. I always knew I would get Win 10 at some point, maybe when I purchased a new computer. That would have been after a couple of years of Win 7 use with all the MS support. And that always meant that MS would have had a couple of years to streamline Win 10.

People don't like to be forced to do anything, but I am especially that way when it comes to my computer and MS ... they used a heavy-handed approach in the forced upgrade. I heard from many people how they woke up and turned on their computers, only to find that Win 10 had been installed. I was not going to be one of those people so I used a couple of programs to prevent the upgrade.

The biggest reason I was not going to get Win 10 was because I would have to purchase the game "Hearts" from MS. Only $1.50, but I thought that was too much. I know I could get the game anywhere, but I just didn't like the policy.

As for the full install, I agree that would be best and that's the way I'll go when the time comes. It's easy enough (but long time) to copy my data files and whatever else I wanted on the new OS.

Myself, if the system had been badly compromised I'd not feel happy using it for any use involving financial transactions or personal information and would reinstall. Some of the threads on our malware site involve more work than a fresh install and on occasions other problems appear. As far as Windows 10 goes it seems you like it not - on this forum many hate it. What it does have going for it is that there is good security built in and it is evolving. Microsoft haven't changed the 10 but they roll out new editions. Just as with Windows 7 you can buy Windows keys on eBay which will validate your first install of Windows 10. They are cheap and a legitimate purchase. I bought a couple years back for Windows 7 and that worked very well. The free upgrade is long gone now so an upgrade involves losing all software and files unless they are already saved elsewhere.

I'm very happy that so many folks at TechSpot are eager to contribute to my original post. I take all the info given and make a note to follow the advice, if it fits.
Tipster gave some good info on the key thing ... I have a valid store bought copy of Win 7 and it's nice to know all my options are not done and over.

I'm going to get started on the cleaning process today and start copying files to my external HD in case I have to do the clean install of Win 7.

One question ... when I contact Broni, will all this thread details remain so he can look if he wants?

Thanks for those tips and advice, Tipster. I always knew I would get Win 10 at some point, maybe when I purchased a new computer. That would have been after a couple of years of Win 7 use with all the MS support. And that always meant that MS would have had a couple of years to streamline Win 10.

People don't like to be forced to do anything, but I am especially that way when it comes to my computer and MS ... they used a heavy-handed approach in the forced upgrade. I heard from many people how they woke up and turned on their computers, only to find that Win 10 had been installed. I was not going to be one of those people so I used a couple of programs to prevent the upgrade.

The biggest reason I was not going to get Win 10 was because I would have to purchase the game "Hearts" from MS. Only $1.50, but I thought that was too much. I know I could get the game anywhere, but I just didn't like the policy.

As for the full install, I agree that would be best and that's the way I'll go when the time comes. It's easy enough (but long time) to copy my data files and whatever else I wanted on the new OS.

Purchase games there are free version and those you buy in the MS Store if you want too. So much free to play games online those really your the free beta tester for the online game company really. I play STO = Star Trek Online for a few years and I play for free (aka beta tester (free). Windows 10 fixes a lot of issues with Window 7. We all know that 7 wasn't that perfect. Windows 10 last update lets you disable the adware in apps. There are third-party that will do that too. I just disable what I don't need. I have two desktops with built-in WiFi, I don't use the WiFi in them more the 1GBps side is what I use here on enterprise network gear. I am not using regular home networking gear. I had enough of those glitches and gone to more of what I worked in network domains and such. You can set those up as home network as well, manage the ports learn how it's done in corp network domain, but at home. Full speed vs Auto speed. Anyway Windows 10 has some hidden areas that MS disabled on purpose for networking.

Windows 10 on your home PC hardware will see that hardware and use it like Home can access 128 GB of Memory where prior home was limited to 16 GB on Windows 7. Windows 10 Pro can access 2TB of memory. So the push for Windows 10 on faster systems. Neat interface also. Anyway have fun..

I'm probably not alone in following your progress on the thread with Broni. It took much longer than a reinstall would have done but it's clean. Broni has given you some tips on keeping your computer more secure in future. Try to follow them and also make a donation to Broni for all the time he has put in with you. The man is clearly a saint. We may well see you again soon, Dennis. :)

I value your comments and feedback, Bazz, but you have no idea how long it would have taken for a clean install with this computer. I have about 140 gigs of data, music, movies, games, files & files that I would have had to copy over to an external drive.
And then there's downloading and configuring all the Windows Updates.

It might be an easy task to sleep and live and think computers all the time to savvy folks like you, but it's an absolute nightmare for casual computer users like me.
Indeed, I think this is the third time Broni has helped with this computer ... I don't see once every 2 years as a sloppy computer user. I pride myself on being a very careful user and run several security programs every day and I still got infected. Like I said in a previous post, I might have gotten infected by visiting Grandma Daisy's Chicken Soup Recipe site.
I have no money ... I also stated that earlier. I live on a very small disability pension that doesn't pay the bills I have.

Lastly, I don't want to sound ungrateful, Bazz, but I feel like you are trying to tell me what to do ... get Windows 10, give Broni money, try to follow his instructions, etc. I'm 64 years old and do what I can to survive. A couple of years ago, I apologized to Broni for not being able to donate any money. He told me my thanks was more than enough. Please try to refrain from sounding like you are scolding poor old folks like me who are at the end of their lives and make a mistake or two every now and then.

I am very grateful to Broni and the TechSpot site for helping me. And even to you and the other posters for the advice and comments. I just don't need the scolding.

Dennis

I'm a lot older than you Dennis, but one advantage of age is that we have the time to mess around with computers. You'd be amazed at how many problems you can fix yourself. Yes, things go wrong but it's never too late to learn. Prepare in advance for when your computer reaches a point of no return. No way would I rely on just one PC. They are cheap to buy second hand although I noted that you have no money. Hardware fails, some infections cannot be removed and Windows may suddenly refuse to boot. I'll add another security suggestion to those given by Broni. Look into free alternatives to torrenting. Torrents are a good way of getting infected and the situation is getting worse. Google alternatives like KODI. Best of luck. Living with Windows is a pain at times but it's the best option for most of us.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree that age brings experience. I consider myself a slightly-above computer user, since I've had two stints at college level computer tech programs. Most things I can fix myself, and I never want to stop learning. But there are also times when I recognize my limits and have to rely on computer experts.
It's one of the reasons I wanted to stay with Win 7 ... so much more to learn but, at the same time, I was becoming very familiar with the OS.
Even as you mention torrents, I had to learn from my daughter and granddaughter. I go to one site and download from one or two posters that I recognize. Very seldom do I use torrents, and yes, I see the potential problems.
For me, the limiting factor always seems to come down to money -- or lack of it. I had a very good good job for over 10 years, making $45 an hour. I thought my future was secure and then the world came crashing down. I went from paying for all my family's luxuries to being poor overnight. No recovery programs out there for poverty. But then we all have our stories and bags of hammers we have to drag around.

I've said it many times in my posts -- I am very grateful for all the help, especially from TechSpot and Broni, in keeping my computer clean. That's the reason I keep coming back to TechSpot. The help is free and thorough, and usually comes with no judgments regarding my habits.

Dennis

Back