Final Fantasy XV PC nude mods left to the "moral sense" of players

midian182

Staff member

While claims that the PC version of Final Fantasy XV would take up 170 GB of hard drive space turned out to be a “communications mistake,” we do know that the game is getting mod support. And, as is so often the case with moddable PC titles, the question of nude mods has now raised its head.

Speaking to PCGamesN at Gamescom, FF XV director Hajime Tabata admitted there were concerns over what content imaginative modders could add or, in the case of Cindy Aurum’s already minimal clothing, appear to remove from the game.

“When we were getting together for discussion, all the people together in the project were airing out their worries, [nude mods] were something most people were really worried about,” Tabata said.

But despite having reservations, Tabata and his team decided they didn’t want to limit players, and will give them the freedom to modify the base game in whatever ways they want.

“This is part of the culture of gaming these days. These people - it's a thing they've bought, it's their game now,” he added. "I don't think it's a good thing, but we're going to leave it to the moral sense of all the players out there. I basically want, as a principle, to give as much freedom and as little limitations on it as possible."

The PC has a long and colorful history of nude mods, but not all game developers are happy about their characters appearing naked. Dead or Alive 5 Game Director Yohei Shimbori threatened pull the series from the PC if players added nude mods to the game (they did, obviously), and Capcom recently issued DMCA takedown notices to Street Fighter 2 costume and nude modders, though the latter was mostly because they were funding themselves through Patreon donations.

Permalink to story.

“This is part of the culture of gaming these days. These people - it's a thing they've bought, it's their game now,” he added. "I don't think it's a good thing, but we're going to leave it to the moral sense of all the players out there. I basically want, as a principle, to give as much freedom and as little limitations on it as possible."

These people realize the prevalence of nude mods is media hype, right? In order of population size:

Vanilla gamers > gamers who mod > gamers who nude mod.

Devs: There, it's moddable
Gamers: Mods? Cool... Well check sometime...
Nude-Modders: Moddable? Cool... Bring the Tit-ans!
Devs: Nude Mods? Noooo... (than don't do a thing but a lawsuit...)
Gamers: AFK - playing vanilla game - don't give a f ck

Glad this a Japanese developed game, free of the Politically correct, western millennial snowflake generation, who virtue signal their support of feminism in the hope it will get them more sex with their female work colleagues and social circle.

It simply goes back to Rule 34. Personally I'm glad they are not going to restrict, not because of the nude concern, but it will allow some really awesome stuff to be made. Ultimately, gotta take the good with the bad.

What I really want to know, is how much of a pain is it going to be to mod and what resources are they will to give out to assist with modding.

Not sure what the problem is, its ok with me. I will do what I want with my game as long as its not tampering online mode. I will have a problem if this was accessed by underaged persons. Anyway, square enix is really the best in creating interesting and visually appealing characters. Next in my list is blizzard.

Well Duh Skyrim (both versions) has had nude mods for years (you can even simulate sex acts) what did they think was going to happen when they opened up the ability to mod this game

Glad this a Japanese developed game, free of the Politically correct, western millennial snowflake generation, who virtue signal their support of feminism in the hope it will get them more sex with their female work colleagues and social circle.

Mmm.... You obviously don't watch or understand Japanese TV or media. If you knew anything about Japan, one of the first things you would learn is that the Japanese greatly modify their language when speaking politely. An easy example "arigatou" ありがとう becomes "Domo arigatou gozaimasu" どうもありがとうございます, more than triple the length.

So your assumption that the Japanese are void of political correctness would be very incorrect as not only diction changed but the words and word length. The other big difference is that Violence to America is what Sex is to Japan. America is more prudish towards nipples in mainstream media but extreme violence is completely O.K.. Japan is nearly the flip-side of that, but I wouldn't go far as to say that violent content is censored as much in Japan as sexualized content is in America.

Better question is, will there be VR boob physics mod? :D

If they can do it with Skyrim, it should be possible here.

Back