First images of the Lenovo Legion Go show a handheld that looks like a Nintendo Switch...

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? It appears the recent rumors that Lenovo is working on a handheld PC called the Legion Go were accurate. New images of the upcoming machine have been revealed, showing it has a design similar to the Nintendo Switch, complete with detachable controllers, with some elements from the Steam Deck.

Last month saw a report from Windows Central claiming that Lenovo was preparing to launch the Legion Go, a handheld gaming PC that will come with Windows 11 - much like the Asus ROG Ally - an AMD chip, and an 8-inch screen.

There were no images of the Legion Go, though it was speculated that it would resemble the Lenovo Legion Play, an Android cloud gaming handheld that never received a full release.

Now, WindowsReport has published what appear to be the first images of the Legion Go. Its inclusion of both a mini trackpad (on the right controller) and two removable controllers makes it look like a combination of the Steam Deck and Nintendo Switch. It also has a stand so it can be played in tabletop mode - again, like the Switch. Imitating Nintendo's incredibly popular hybrid might be risky, given the company's litigious nature.

Some other interesting features include a wheel on the same controller sporting the trackpad, shoulder buttons, and triggers on both the back and sides.

Like the Asus ROG Ally and several other handhelds, the Legion Go is said to be powered by one of AMD's Phoenix chips, probably the Ryzen 7 7840U.

The Legion Go's 8-inch screen could make it a compelling prospect for handheld gamers. The display is an inch bigger than those in the Steam Deck and ROG Ally, and the trackpad should give it an advantage over Asus' device.

No word on the launch date or price for the Legion Go. Gamescom takes place later this month, while IFA starts around the first week of September. Don't be surprised if Lenovo gives the handheld its official unveiling at one of these events.

Permalink to story.

Interestingly enough, OneXPlayer already has this exact type of device running of a 6800u and providing detachable controllers to stay in tablet mode too.

But much like Asus, I think Lenovo will probably be able to beat them in price since economies of scale work in their favor.

Still I'm not sure I get why would you want an undersized, overpowered tablet: It's not practical to run a tablet on Windows 11 sorry, MS just sucks at tablet OS right now so its never actually gonna replace something like an ipad mini simply because of the clunky OS

But lets say that you dual boot it with some flavor of Linux that works better as a tablet, I still never really cared much for the ipad mini form factor: 8 inches is a bit too small for reading most things even if you crank up resolution is not as comfortable as 11 inch class tablets and for video watching, sure its better than a phone but it's not exactly pocket friendly to carry a full on PC on your pocket every time you just want to watch some videos: this thing will need fans, ventilation, it's not just small enough to be super practical like a phone and not big enough to be worth keeping around for reading or media watching like an actual tablet so, why make it have detachable controllers? Just so it can dock a bit more nicely and have better ergonomics? Sure but most of us already have some form of bluetooth controller be it xbox or ps controller or even PC centric and all of those would work if you want to 'dock it' and have an external monitor or more comfortable playing position anyway so, why do I need this gimmick again?

Lookalikeagammerboitoy...
smellalikeagammerboitoy...
soundalikeagammerboitoy....

guess what: it IS (yet another) gammerboitoy....

Fresh out of the yingem-yangem clonerzoner machine....and coming to your favorite retailer soon :D

Still prefer steam deck control layout, but good to see competition. With Linux on board this could be manageable, but I'll rather for steam deck 2.

It's all about the software environment. It's all about Steam OS. That was the big thing to jumpstart this growing 'niche'. On this device it would be a very nice gaming experience.

Interestingly enough, OneXPlayer already has this exact type of device running of a 6800u and providing detachable controllers to stay in tablet mode too.

But much like Asus, I think Lenovo will probably be able to beat them in price since economies of scale work in their favor.

Still I'm not sure I get why would you want an undersized, overpowered tablet: It's not practical to run a tablet on Windows 11 sorry, MS just sucks at tablet OS right now so its never actually gonna replace something like an ipad mini simply because of the clunky OS

But lets say that you dual boot it with some flavor of Linux that works better as a tablet, I still never really cared much for the ipad mini form factor: 8 inches is a bit too small for reading most things even if you crank up resolution is not as comfortable as 11 inch class tablets and for video watching, sure its better than a phone but it's not exactly pocket friendly to carry a full on PC on your pocket every time you just want to watch some videos: this thing will need fans, ventilation, it's not just small enough to be super practical like a phone and not big enough to be worth keeping around for reading or media watching like an actual tablet so, why make it have detachable controllers? Just so it can dock a bit more nicely and have better ergonomics? Sure but most of us already have some form of bluetooth controller be it xbox or ps controller or even PC centric and all of those would work if you want to 'dock it' and have an external monitor or more comfortable playing position anyway so, why do I need this gimmick again?

You're right. The Switch form factor has completely failed in the marketplace.

Back