First US road that charges electric vehicles while they drive will be ready next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tudor Cibean

Staff
Why it matters: While the cost doesn't make it reasonable to build massive highways that can wirelessly charge EVs, the system could still be helpful for bus routes, traffic lights, or roads where people spend a lot of time stuck in traffic.

Israeli company Electreon has announced that it's planning to build the first US road with wireless-charging capabilities for electric vehicles. The pilot project is set to be finished next year in Detroit, Michigan, and it'll initially only be one mile long.

The road will work by having an underground network of charging coils that connect to the energy grid, with EVs needing to have a receiver to charge while driving over them. The system doesn't emit electricity without an active receiver, so people and animals crossing the street won't get electrocuted. It's also modular, as each coil is connected individually to the grid, so a pothole won't render the entire charging system useless.

The charge per mile depends on the vehicle and how fast it's going. While the road won't fully replenish a battery, especially considering its length, it will top it up slightly, allowing EVs to travel further before requiring a charging station. The receivers can also rack up a tab so the vehicle owner can pay for the electricity later.

An Electreon representative claims that bus routes would be a great place to implement this charging system as they are predictable and repetitive. Areas with a lot of traffic congestion might also work well, as your vehicle would have time to charge while waiting in traffic.

The idea sounds like a supersized version of Logitech's Powerplay system, which allows a special mouse pad to charge a wireless mouse while it's in use.

Permalink to story.

You know we have this revolutionary tech that can charge a moving electric vehicle so efficiently it can even run without batteries. It can even charge so much that it can transport massive payloads in the metric tons or several hundred passengers at the same time. In fact we have had this tech for decades now and it's not even a crazy conspiracy.

It's called electric trains. Just build the damn things already ok?

You know we have this revolutionary tech that can charge a moving electric vehicle so efficiently it can even run without batteries. It can even charge so much that it can transport massive payloads in the metric tons or several hundred passengers at the same time. In fact we have had this tech for decades now and it's not even a crazy conspiracy.

Ah yes, train tracks every where, even places very few people go.

Having 1 mode of transport is not ideal. Some people want to get to places by themselves.

$2 million US taxpayers dollars to build that one mile long road and we know there will be cost overruns on top of that $2 mil.

Meanwhile Michigan's governor did this earlier this year. This is how you force the green energy scam.

Last edited:
$2 million US taxpayers dollars to build that one mile long road and we know there will be cost overruns on top of that $2 mil. :joy:

Meanwhile Michigan's governor did this earlier this year. This is how you force the green energy scam.

It reminds me of an ultra expensive solar panel road in Europe that got damaged almost immediately by the weight of the vehicles. Governments spend our money easily... as if they wanted to increase our country's debt...

$2 million US taxpayers dollars to build that one mile long road and we know there will be cost overruns on top of that $2 mil. :joy:

FORCE

Well, not splitting hairs but I believe the electric trolley (streetcar) was in use before electric trains ....
Nit sure which came first, the chicken or the trolley. But I dearly miss these monsters on the rails:
The_Congressional_Pennsylvania_Railroad.JPG

I dated a girl from somewhere down south, who couldn't believe her eyes when she saw her first trolley in Philly. It really was a "WTF moment", for her.

We went from these Brill cars:
199203184761551r1g51i61700198078.jpg

To the "PCC cars" (Presidents Conference Committee) in 1968:
Phila._1968_-_PCC_trolley_on_route_50_meeting_a_Brill_trolley_bus%2C_7th_%26_Snyder.jpg

Note the "trolley bus" (Dual overhead wires).
To our "new" Kawasakis (mid 80's ?).
normal_DSCN3219.JPG

These are still running today. I guess things made in Japan, aren't as perishable as the junk coming out if China today.

Some of these are still double-enders, for single track, no turn around suburban routes

Never work in US. Just ask Amtrack. Americans don't do trains.

Nit sure which came first, the chicken or the trolley. But I dearly miss these monsters on the rails:
The_Congressional_Pennsylvania_Railroad.JPG

I dated a girl from somewhere down south, who couldn't believe her eyes when she saw her first trolley in Philly. It really was a "WTF moment", for her.

We went from these Brill cars:
199203184761551r1g51i61700198078.jpg

To the "PCC cars" (Presidents Conference Committee) in 1968:
Phila._1968_-_PCC_trolley_on_route_50_meeting_a_Brill_trolley_bus%2C_7th_%26_Snyder.jpg

Note the "trolley bus" (Dual overhead wires).
To our "new" Kawasakis (mid 80's ?).
normal_DSCN3219.JPG

These are still running today. I guess things made in Japan, aren't as perishable as the junk coming out if China today.

Some of these are still double-enders, for single track, no turn around suburban routes
You Sir, are ancient. Great to see you in a tech forum.

heh right?? But MUSK and the DESIEL consortiums cant profit off that :p .. so here we are ..still

Were too fat, and have been brainwashed to ''own a car'' is a indicator of ''success''. but that will change .. a lot of kids coming out of college now don't even own a car, they uber and care-share.

noone wants to get on them because they will get murdered or mugged. other than that they are fine

I don't like any of this. It creates higher dependency on the infrastructure, which is against the principle of green/renewable approach.

High-efficiency solar panels are the right way to go. We already know how to produce passive solar panels with 39.7% efficiency, while for now the best you can buy is about 23%, with average being way under 20%

Last edited:
Americans don't do trains today after most of the country's infrastructure was built to discard trains and force people into cars because you know, oil is a big business. But a 100 years ago or so they were perfectly fine using trains.

But at this point our attitude should be "We do not care what most Americans would like, they need to get used to switching to trains otherwise we'll al die" because we are at that point of climate change.

Most of you don't understand how vast and spread out the USA is. We HAVE to each own a car. Most of us live about 20 to 30 minutes from work. We cannot walk to work. We could never afford to have transportation to each neighborhood. If you don't live and work in USA outside of big cities like NY, Atlanta, then you have no clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back