Ford's all-electric F-150 Lightning rated for up to 320 miles of range

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has released official range estimates for Ford's upcoming all-electric F-150 Lightning pickup. For buyers of select models, it is better-than-anticipated news by about 20 miles of range.

The base model F-150 Lightning Pro SR, which starts at $39.974, will come with a final EPA-estimated range of 230 miles on a single charge. The same holds true for the XLT SR and the Lariat SR models, while the Platinum topped its target estimated range by 20 miles – from 280 miles to 300 miles.

Similarly, the XLT ER and the Lariat ER (ER standing for extended range) will be good for a final EPA-estimated range of 320 miles.

For comparison, the base model Rivian R1T with the dual-motor configuration has an estimated range of 260+ miles while the Hummer EV starts at 250+ miles of range.

Ford introduced its electrified F-150 Lightning in May 2021 with two battery range options. Models equipped with the standard battery pack will generate 426 horsepower while those with the extended range battery option will be good for 563 horsepower. Both turn out 775 lb-ft of torque.

The new Lightning is also said to utilize the strongest steel ever put into an F-150 frame, and is the most aerodynamic F-150 to date. With the ER battery, it should be good for sprints to 60 mph in the mid-four second range.

The first models are expected to be delivered to customers this spring.

Permalink to story.

Hydrogen cars range is over 400 miles and they charge in 3 to 5 min. They`re also more environmentally friendly, but still, the whole US industry has bet on EVs.
hydrogen is just an EV with extra steps. It's not Hydrogen VS EV, it's hydrogen VS lithium.

But to be fair, I do support a mix of EVs and Hydrogen because when we are making excess solar or wind we can just use the extra electricity to make hydrogen rather than shut the whole thing off because we have no where to store it.

hydrogen is just an EV with extra steps. It's not Hydrogen VS EV, it's hydrogen VS lithium.

But to be fair, I do support a mix of EVs and Hydrogen because when we are making excess solar or wind we can just use the extra electricity to make hydrogen rather than shut the whole thing off because we have no where to store it.
I thought the average person knows this, but indeed, more specifically, hydrogen vs lithium is correct.

On level ground, no load, no AC, during the day, no "entertainment system". ;)
40K for the BASE model, don't care if it is ICE or EV, these "trucks" are too expensive.
No, and I explained how the vehicles are rated before. And here you are. The same crap. (Remember? The range is measured with 50% of capacity load.)
Also, I can see you don't know this, it has always been a big secret, but AC can cut a smokers' gas mileage by 20-25%. But we have only known that since......car AC became available, so you should be given time to catch up.

Its amazing how many people hold up hydrogen as a hero when they are also just powering an electric motor. Plus a national supply of hydrogen and its access is a logistical nightmare.

never make assumptions about someone's intelligence
I believe that is called zero-sum gains. :D

Last edited:
Divided by two, realistically, and if you floor it - it won't make 100 miles. That's my realistic expectation.

Hydrogen cars range is over 400 miles and they charge in 3 to 5 min. They`re also more environmentally friendly, but still, the whole US industry has bet on EVs.

Are you talking fuel cell or hydrogen combustion engine. Because the latter is not very good at all.

Also 95% of world's hydrogen is produced from filthy sources, not renewables. Energy density of hydrogen is also poor, much worse than even crappy Li Ion batteries. Fuel cells are 2x as good as hydrogen but still lower energy density than batteries. Once we get solid state batteries, it will be the game changer we need. Massively lighter, smaller and faster charging than current dinosaur tech.

In cold weather?

Batteries tend to not like sitting in cold weather, as vehicles do when they're not being used and are parked outdoors.

In some climates this isn't an issue but in others it's a problem. It's not just about their performance when moving during cold weather.

Once we get solid state batteries, it will be the game changer we need.
I just found out recently that QuantumScape has targeted 2024 for mass deployment of EV solid state batteries.

Divided by two, realistically, and if you floor it - it won't make 100 miles. That's my realistic expectation.

Not so, but Im curious. How long do you stay on full throttle?

In cold weather?

Batteries tend to not like sitting in cold weather, as vehicles do when they're not being used and are parked outdoors.
Stop, please.

Though it is a problem for some of the earliest EVs, even that is negated for cars kept in a garage. At the worst, it can be kept plugged in. It doesn't cost much to keep it topped off because the batteries stay warm while on a charger.

Though it is a problem for some of the earliest EVs, even that is negated for cars kept in a garage.
A member of my family has one of the earliest EVs. It is a problem because the vehicle is still being used in a cold climate. It has a terrible range in cold weather, even though it is stored and plugged in nightly in a heated garage.

Heating a garage costs money. That person has to pay for propane to heat the garage. The big selling point of the EV was that it was supposed to cost less per mile.

Parking the vehicle at work doesn't involve the luxury of a garage, heated or otherwise. It also doesn't involve being plugged in.

If, indeed, battery technology has somehow managed to be immune to cold a citation would be helpful, particularly to a peer-reviewed journal article.

A member of my family has one of the earliest EVs. It is a problem because the vehicle is still being used in a cold climate. It has a terrible range in cold weather, even though it is stored and plugged in nightly in a heated garage.

Heating a garage costs money. That person has to pay for propane to heat the garage. The big selling point of the EV was that it was supposed to cost less per mile.

Parking the vehicle at work doesn't involve the luxury of a garage, heated or otherwise. It also doesn't involve being plugged in.

If, indeed, battery technology has somehow managed to be immune to cold a citation would be helpful, particularly to a peer-reviewed journal article.
I have a 2017 Focus EV. I keep it in under a car port and I just bought it to experiment with so I dont use it often but I did use it exclusively for 2 weeks just to see what happens. I keep it plugged in at night and the extra electricity to keep it topped is very minimal.

It is very easy to keep a garage at 40 degrees F. Which is where the battery starts to slow if not plugged in.

"Anything below 40 or above 115 degrees Fahrenheit and they’re not going to deliver their peak performance"

Unless you work double shifts, 8 hours does not affect the battery much during the day after 8-9 hours. I've tested it myself.

And never did I say it is immune to the cold, so don't whine about something I didn't say.

Last edited:
Are you talking fuel cell or hydrogen combustion engine. Because the latter is not very good at all.

Also 95% of world's hydrogen is produced from filthy sources, not renewables. Energy density of hydrogen is also poor, much worse than even crappy Li Ion batteries. Fuel cells are 2x as good as hydrogen but still lower energy density than batteries. Once we get solid state batteries, it will be the game changer we need. Massively lighter, smaller and faster charging than current dinosaur tech.
I was talking about fuel cells and considering hydrogen is the most abundant chemical element in the universe. I did not have the information that most hydrogen is currently extracted from fossil fuels, which yeah, it's pretty stupid. I don't care about a lower energy density as long as you can pack more and the range is considerably higher. You know the record is 845 miles with one fill. Charge time 3-5 min. Solid-state batteries have an inherent chemical flaw. They degrade very fast after a number of charges. I don't know the exact number of these charges, but it's a fact. The thing is this technology is a work in progress and from what I have read keep dreaming before the mid 2030s. By then hydrogen tech could also get important improvements.

Last edited:
I was talking about fuel cells and considering hydrogen is the most abundant chemical element in the universe. I did not have the information that most hydrogen is currently extracted from fossil fuels, which yeah, it's pretty stupid. I don't care about a lower energy density as long as you can pack more and the range is considerably higher. You know the record is 845 miles with one fill. Charge time 3-5 min. Solid-state batteries have an inherent chemical flaw. They degrade very fast after a number of charges. I don't know the exact number of these charges, but it's a fact. The thing is this technology is a work in progress and from what I have read keep dreaming before the mid 2030s. By then hydrogen tech could also get important improvements.
Here's a thought, why not have hybrid hydrogen-lithium systems. Most people drive less than 50 miles a day so they can charge at home and pump hydrogen for longer trips splitting the weight of the fuel cells and batteries between the two?

Here's a thought, why not have hybrid hydrogen-lithium systems. Most people drive less than 50 miles a day so they can charge at home and pump hydrogen for longer trips splitting the weight of the fuel cells and batteries between the two?
That would be ideal, but powerful interests usually stand in the way.

In cold weather?

In some climates this isn't an issue but in others it's a problem. It's not just about their performance when moving during cold weather.
If you are talking about Lead Acid batteries, yes, absolutely, they are temperature sensitive. However, Lithium batteries have a much wider operating temperature range, and most EVs these days are using Lithium batteries, not Lead Acid batteries. In fact, depending on the specific chemistry, Lithium batteries can operate in temperatures as low as -55C (-67F) which is well within the range of most locations on Earth. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_battery

I just found out recently that QuantumScape has targeted 2024 for mass deployment of EV solid state batteries.

Hmm. Interesting. It does not quite sound like a capacitor, but it sounds like a significant advance in technology. My point is that there is a substantial amount of research in both academia and private industry. What ever comes to market, and there are several technologies that are in a commercial production pipeline - for instance this article from Forbes https://www.forbes.com/sites/michae...imes-faster-than-lithium-ion/?sh=5eb037976d28 Detailing this company's Aluminum ion battery - there are several game changers in the pipeline.
Stop, please.
Welcome to the battle against ignorance. :laughing:
Though it is a problem for some of the earliest EVs, even that is negated for cars kept in a garage. At the worst, it can be kept plugged in. It doesn't cost much to keep it topped off because the batteries stay warm while on a charger.
Yes, charging does keep batteries warm, but as I mentioned above. Li-on batteries have a much wider operating temperature range than the archaic Lead Acid batteries.

Yes, charging does keep batteries warm, but as I mentioned above. Li-on batteries have a much wider operating temperature range than the archaic Lead Acid batteries.
While not incorrect, the old school lead acid batteries, which can basically be purchased at scrap metal price, do have that problem. But lead acid chemistry has come a long way.

One major advantage that lithium has over lead acid is that when lead acid batteries die, they're dead. You can buy used lithium cells for cheap that still charge to a proper voltage but their capacity drops. They're very usable at a very low price. You can buy used lithium cells with 60% capacity for 20% of the MSRP

"Similarly, the XLT ER and the Lariat ER (ER standing for extended range) will be good for a final EPA-estimated range of 320 miles."___ Another EV Range information WITHOUT the LOAD weight it is carrying...!

This article says nothing new. All this information was available when the Lightning was announced.

I believe Ford said the range estimate was based on having 1,000 lbs of cargo in the bed... so for a lot of people driving a truck around and not actually using it for truck duties, it will hopefully be better than the estimate. Winter is the hardest on battery EV's though because batteries don't like cold, increased air density makes it effectively less aerodynamic, and the electric heater sucks a lot of power. So in the harshest of Michigan winters I'd suspect the ER version to get realistically around 270 or so miles with 1,000 lbs cargo.

With that said I think this will be a decent seller. It won't convince everyone but probably a good 10-15% of the F150 buying market will get one of these.

In the end, hydrogen EV's will win but that is a good 30-50 years away I think because of stupid bureaucratic corporatist nonsense that has essentially kok-blocked HEV's since inception. If they had put as much effort into making hydrogen production as efficient and plentiful as battery production we'd have a lot of these on the roads by now. Hydrogen fuel can be produced right at the fueling station or in your garage, the tech exists, they just haven't made it efficient yet. It can be better and is way better than gasoline and diesel in terms of resulting emissions

"Similarly, the XLT ER and the Lariat ER (ER standing for extended range) will be good for a final EPA-estimated range of 320 miles."___ Another EV Range information WITHOUT the LOAD weight it is carrying...!
Easily found info. Lots of that info right here in this thread.
And yet you posted that. I had to give you a like just for answering without a clue.

Easily found info. Lots of that info right here in this thread.
And yet you posted that. I had to give you a like just for answering without a clue.
Calm down comrade, this is a discussion not a search engine. I was mentioning what I've heard from Ford when obviously isn't necessarily being advertised. Just because info isn't being advertised doesn't mean that it isn't true - they may very well have been basing expected range on having a load of cargo in the bed.

So thanks for crapping all over my post with your negativity, which was ultimately pointless.

Back