France is formulating a $100 per month subsidized EV lease program

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? France is preparing a subsidized electric vehicle leasing program that could make EVs available to locals for as little as 100 euros ($100) per month. During a recent television appearance, Budget Minister Gabriel Attal said the 100 euro target is less than what many people spend on gasoline each month.

As part of his reelection campaign, President Emmanuel Macron pledged to make electric vehicles more affordable to low-income households. The French government already offers subsidies on the purchase of EVs (up to 6,000 euros for an EV priced under 47,000 euros) but some contend they are still out of reach of many prospective buyers.

Bloomberg said the government is working to see how quickly it can roll out the program and determining how many EVs will be available to lease. Full terms were not mentioned so it's unclear if the program would be structured like a traditional vehicle lease with a down payment, restrictions on mileage and the like.

According to Bloomberg, 12 percent of new car sales in France through the first seven months of 2022 were of the electric variety. Interest has been strong stateside, too. In January, Chevrolet sold out of its new Silverado EV in just 12 minutes. GM and Honda in April announced plans to co-develop EVs, Ford recently showed off an all-electric F-150 Lightning pickup truck for police use and Dodge just last month previewed its Charger Daytona SRT Concept.

Tesla in the most recent quarter delivered 254,695 vehicles, an increase of 26 percent compared to the year-ago period. Covid-related shutdowns in China and parts shortages hampered production, however.

In related news, California regulators recently approved a plan that would ban the sale of new internal-combustion engine vehicles by 2035. The rule mandates that 35 percent of new passenger cars and light trucks sold in California will have to be electric or emissions-free by 2026. The target will climb to 68 percent by 2030 before reaching 100 percent by 2035.

Image credit: Jack S, Miguel Barrera

Permalink to story.

Sounds like the gov't will be bleeding money (more than usual) doing that; an irresponsible program.

That said, I would take full advantage of it (least I can do considering I'd be paying taxes towards it). And then assuming they do the maintenance, even less money out of my pocket.

"In related news, California regulators recently approved a plan that would ban the sale of new internal-combustion engine vehicles by 2035. The rule mandates that 35 percent of new passenger cars and light trucks sold in California will have to be electric or emissions-free by 2026. The target will climb to 68 percent by 2030 before reaching 100 percent by 2035."

In other news, CA asks people not to charge their EV during peak hours during the heat wave.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/california-flex-alert-dont-charge-ev/2976760/

Makes you wonder how CA is going to handle the upsurge of EV and charging if they're already asking people to not charge them during peak hours during the heatwave.

Got to say, when you consider the cost of a car payment, insurance, gas, etc. this sounds line one very sweet deal that will give you time to save up for the day when you have to buy your own EV. Do they have any trucks? I'd be willing to jump in ....

Got to say, when you consider the cost of a car payment, insurance, gas, etc. this sounds line one very sweet deal that will give you time to save up for the day when you have to buy your own EV. Do they have any trucks? I'd be willing to jump in ....
You're still on the hook for insurance, gas,etc, you just have a lease instead of a car payment.

Sounds like the gov't will be bleeding money (more than usual) doing that; an irresponsible program.

That said, I would take full advantage of it (least I can do considering I'd be paying taxes towards it). And then assuming they do the maintenance, even less money out of my pocket.
we're buying petrol from OPEC countries, better helping ppl to buy a car that we're actually producing the fuel for to reduce importation of petrol .... in the long run , I don't think this is a bad idea... since I'm french , I'm gonna look at this offer if it's somewhat interesting for me

we're buying petrol from OPEC countries, better helping ppl to buy a car that we're actually producing the fuel for to reduce importation of petrol .... in the long run , I don't think this is a bad idea... since I'm french , I'm gonna look at this offer if it's somewhat interesting for me
I mean, petrol is a consumer purchase (and I bet your gov't has a nice high tax on it).

There will be no EV subsities for the gov't to buy the vehicles to lease (beyond maybe a bulk discount). And then knowing gov't programs, repairs are going to be at "the gov't can afford to pay more" prices, along with other abuses I wouldn't trust the gov't to handle well.
That's mainly what I'd be getting at. I don't see the $100 per month helping to "subsidize" what they're doing lol

But yeah, otherwise might as well get your tax's worth lol

"In related news, California regulators recently approved a plan that would ban the sale of new internal-combustion engine vehicles by 2035. The rule mandates that 35 percent of new passenger cars and light trucks sold in California will have to be electric or emissions-free by 2026. The target will climb to 68 percent by 2030 before reaching 100 percent by 2035."

In other news, CA asks people not to charge their EV during peak hours during the heat wave.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/california-flex-alert-dont-charge-ev/2976760/

Makes you wonder how CA is going to handle the upsurge of EV and charging if they're already asking people to not charge them during peak hours during the heatwave.
Cali is crazy

In even more news. Many states also spent a few months asking people not to use their AC as much during peak hours. And not to use lawn equipment until the evening or morning hours too because of air quality concerns. You wanna give up on air conditioning and lawn care?

You seem like a really good guy, but you say things before your brain thinks them up sometimes. :D

This is all well and good, but do they have the charge points to actually make this viable? I know the UK doesn't.

Doubtful. Upgrading the grid and charge locations will be gradual, and that depends on EV numbers going up proportionally. Right now, EVs are gaining in numbers way too fast in some countries. Of course everyone can "fuel up" at home during the night hours.

Good luck with the utility bills

Yes. The utility bills are very good, especially when you consider you aren't paying out the a** for gasoline. My EV makes the 182 mile trip to my campground in the Ozarks for $4.75 on average.

Last edited:
Many states also spent a few months asking people not to use their AC as much during peak hours. You wanna give up on air conditioning?
You realize that air conditioners use electricity from the same grid that EVs do, right? Every kw-hr an EV consumes is one less available for air conditioning. The more EVs on the road, the more likely people are to have to cut back on their AC usage.

His point is doubly valid. California attempting to dramatically boost EV ownership while admitting they already can't meet peak demand is the height of hypocrisy. Worse than that-- it's outright dangerous.

You realize that air conditioners use electricity from the same grid that EVs do, right? Every kw-hr an EV consumes is one less available for air conditioning. The more EVs on the road, the more likely people are to have to cut back on their AC usage.
You are wrong. Every kWh an AC uses is one less available for EVs. The more AC's being used, the more likely people may not be able to charge their cars during peak.

See that? Please don't start another one of your circle jerks.

His point is doubly valid. California attempting to dramatically boost EV ownership while admitting they already can't meet peak demand is the height of hypocrisy. Worse than that-- it's outright dangerous.
They didn't admit any more than other states with their lack of ability to cover normal everyday AC use. And I will bet you good money that when the heat passes, so will the cutback requests.

EDIT - I'm sensing another Endy attempt at a filibuster! :laughing:

Last edited:
They didn't admit any more than other states with their lack of ability to cover normal everyday AC use. And I will bet you good money that when the heat passes, so will the cutback requests.

EDIT - I'm sensing another Endy attempt at a filibuster! :laughing:
Man, the point flew over your head.

Why is Cali spending so much money making their electric grid problems worse? That's the issue here. They are actively pushing for EV's (for the "we're super green" look), when it will strain the already strained grid. Where are the accompanying announcements to upgrade the grid to accommodate that?
Asking people to not use electricity during a heatwave is not a normal thing to do in a first world country. It shows (at best) gov't mismanagement/ineptitude.

Do you live in Cali and need to justify your voting choice or something? They should be shamed into doing better...

Why is Cali spending so much money making their electric grid problems worse? That's the issue here. They are actively pushing for EV's (for the "we're super green" look), when it will strain the already strained grid. Where are the accompanying announcements to upgrade the grid to accommodate that?
Asking people to not use electricity during a heatwave is not a normal thing to do in a first world country. It shows (at best) gov't mismanagement/ineptitude.
Especially when we have politicians more interested in collecting dirt on their peers rather than on fulfilling promises to invest in infrastructure. But then, I bet you don't live in CA either.

No, I got it, it's just that the point is mostly under his hat.
Here is an activity for you. Find how much Cali. electricity goes to EVs compared to other areas.

Do you live in Cali and need to justify your voting choice or something? They should be shamed into doing better...
No, my sister does, and she gets to see first hand how well everything goes there, even after all the whining and the poor, hurt widdle CONServatives feelings.
Like I said earlier, you should understand that every time you people point your fingers at them, they just laugh because they know where you are, and really want you to know that what they do is none of your damn business.

Last edited:
I mean, petrol is a consumer purchase (and I bet your gov't has a nice high tax on it).

There will be no EV subsities for the gov't to buy the vehicles to lease (beyond maybe a bulk discount). And then knowing gov't programs, repairs are going to be at "the gov't can afford to pay more" prices, along with other abuses I wouldn't trust the gov't to handle well.
That's mainly what I'd be getting at. I don't see the $100 per month helping to "subsidize" what they're doing lol

But yeah, otherwise might as well get your tax's worth lol
buying this petrol still hurt the commercial balance of the whole country so mmmh... for now I still don't now in details what is this offert so I'll don't defend it more than that, but anyway my taxes are already worth 100 times what I pay since I'm guaranted to never going broke when I go to the hospital / doctor / take medicine, if I have kids they'll go to the university without for me need to save money or them to take a student loan, I'll never be without a dime if I lose my job, as a whole it allowed me to survive until now coz I'm disabled , and etc etc .. told you 100 times worth what I pay and I'll gladly pay those taxes again lol

Wholesale electricity prices in France are about 10 times higher what they were 3 years ago. So it is clear that the timing of this is very very bad

My opinion is that most EU govs are deliberately sabotaging their countries to prop up the US economy after Biden got elected, which has resulted in the EURO going below 1$ in value.

Now if they are doing this because they are blackmailed, bought and sold for or because they want to prevent a new 2008-like crisis and a Trump re-election I can't tell, but it is pretty obvious that they are doing this.

Wholesale electricity prices in France are about 10 times higher what they were 3 years ago. So it is clear that the timing of this is very very bad

My opinion is that most EU govs are deliberately sabotaging their countries to prop up the US economy after Biden got elected, which has resulted in the EURO going below 1$ in value.

Now if they are doing this because they are blackmailed, bought and sold for or because they want to prevent a new 2008-like crisis and a Trump re-election I can't tell, but it is pretty obvious that they are doing this.
The funniest part is when something "obvious" is the opposite of the truth.
France power prices have been reasonably steady for over 2 decades until the draw-down of the pandemic, and only shot up in the months leading to the Putin (GFY) invasion of the country that is just about to kick his a**.
Use the buttons at the bottom left of the graph for extended timelines.

And seeing as gasoline prices in France are near $6.50 a gallon, electricity is still quite a bargain as a fuel for cars.

Last edited:
The funniest part is when something "obvious" is the opposite of the truth.
France power prices have been reasonably steady for over 2 decades until the draw-down of the pandemic, and only shot up in the months leading to the Putin (GFY) invasion of the country that is just about to kick his a**.

Use the buttons at the bottom left of the graph for extended timelines.
You don't make any sense.
Are electricity prices up tenfold? Yes they are
Does this make it the worst possible time to push for EV adoption?
Yes it does.
Why expand the convo outside this? You think it is winning you the argument?
it doesn't
And since you mentioned the "pandemic", most govs in the EU did push up really hard the Pfizer and Moderna shots, both which are US companies...
And now after the eastern front opened up, they are mass ordering guess what? US-made weapons
Starting to see a pattern? I am pretty sure you are even though you won't admit it.
And since we are on a tech site, they are also giving now subsidies to american companies to build chip plants in the EU. Great idea, give subsidies for new factories of US companies when you don't even know if you will be able to power up the ones you have.

electricity is actually 0.17€ /kwh ... from my totally normal contract ... it's more than 0.40/45 in germany , so no it's not that expensive , and it was nearly 0.13€ 3 years ago, so yea , it went up, maybe coz we're giving away a lot of electricity to our eastern neighbour who went full retard, but it's still not that hard on us

Back