Free anti-virus software - how long does it last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokyo-joe

Sorry, it may seem a rudimentary question but my PC Cillin is now telling me it's out of date and looks like my desktop is not protected. I've had it for a year so I am guessing that the freebie is over - would I be right?

If it is over should I update or move to AVG or, perish the thought, actually pay someone for an anti-virus kit?

Many thanks in advance!

Joe

Probably came with the PC when you bought it. No more freebies from them.
Go to http://free.grisoft.com and get their free AVG.
Then disconnect your PC from the internet (pull the cable), uninstall PC-Cillin, and install AVG. When AVG asks to update its definitions, only then reconnect the internet.

My advice is download the free version of AntiVir (not a trial) it lasts forever, updates daily and it is the best free anti-virus and in my opionion does a better job than the resource hungry Norton :bounce:

Andy

Thanks, have got AVG up and running and it seems okay but suddenly my updates from ad-aware can't get through despite the AVG version not having a firewall. Hmm..

Akirru, do you have a link to the AV system you recommend just to take a look at it?

Joe

you can got a lot of free anti virus programs. I use norton corporate since it is free from the US government.

Okay, thanks for that. How does the AntiVir compare to AVG - I've read that in tests AVG picks up about 60% of viruses, which is pretty bad considering Kaspersky is up at the top with 98%. What say you?

where did you read that? I wouldn't mind looking at that for myself - it's certainly not the experience I've had with it.

have a look at www.virus.gr and click on Enter halfway down to the right.

That AntiVir is not a bad program, BUT it is crap to update. Everytime an update (other than file definitions) is available, it re-installs the WHOLE package. No problem for broadband as such, but it's a PITA that way, AND it is a killer for dial-up!

Those percentages on that website look impressive for the top-guys, but don't forget that an awful lot of the viruses that they catch, are hardly ever floating about on the web. They also do not mention that 'important' viruses for instance are caught by e.g. AVG but not by e.g. Symantec/Norton.

Overall, AVG does an impressive job for a freebie.
The fact that I use it at home on all my PCs is not necessarily a recommendation by itself, but is at least food for thought (given my moderator 'status' for HJT etc.).

If AVG is good enough for you then it's good enough for me. My only worry security wise is that my desktop's windows was, ahem, purloined in a dishonest way - hell, I thought I've already paid them for the laptop. Anyway, now they're a bit more savvy with the updates and have cottoned on to my foul behaviour, thus not allowing any more precious updates... this may not be the place to ask but is it wise to go without those updates seeing as so many viruses use microsoft's already crappy defences to get through? Should I just sigh heavily and buy XP again?

Cheers, Joe

Running XP without the regular updates is a soft form of hara-kiri, just not as bloody.
OEM XP-versions are available from around US$92.- from reputable companies.
http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=368

Don't fall for the downloadable kind, as offered by fancy (spam-)emails, they only want your credit-card number for fraud purposes (and the XP is stolen at best).
When in doubt, do a WHOIS with the webname and check how long that website is up and running.
http://www.dnsstuff.com/

I guess I knew it was bad not getting updates, just not HOW bad. I'd better sort that out. The link you provided to Newegg.com was fine but I see they don't ship to Japan so I'll check on another route and no, not through spam parasites who regularly offer me windows stuff for a fiver. There's no way round this is there...? Sigh. Thanks RBS,

Joe

You mean like a dodgy bloke up the street?

Amazon.com seem to have the cheapest shippable XP internationally @ $90. Ah well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back