Full size Commodore 64 launch imminent, shipping in Europe first

onetheycallEric

In brief: For computing enthusiasts waiting for a more faithful recreation of the beloved Commodore 64, Retro Games Ltd. appear to be fulfilling pre-orders for those living in Europe. Unfortunately, there's no current indication on a US shipping date.

Thanks to the nostalgic wave of retro machines that has yet to crest, we learned earlier this year that the 8-bit 1980s gaming machine was getting a proper, full sized version. The C64, as it's called, was announced with a December launch window. Now, it seems the full-sized C64 is available for pre-order in Europe and will begin shipping soon.

The Commodore 64 has already received tribute in the form of last year's Commodore 64 Mini, and like other retro consoles before it, it served as a fun nostalgia trip (albeit on a smaller scale) but still received mixed reviews. Reviewers took particular issue with the joystick.

The C64 not only promises a full-sized keyboard, but an updated joystick as well. The full-sized keyboard will also allow users to load their own programs with multi-disk compatibility. The C64 will offer three switchable modes: C64, Vic-20, and Games Carousel Mode. There's also support for 720p HD output at 60Hz or 50Hz. The Games Carousel mode will come with 64 pre-installed games.

Permalink to story.

I will most certainly buy one of these, If only the Amiga was to follow...

EDIT to add, Told the Mrs I want one, She already has one of the small ones for me for Christmas it turns out... Looking forward to playing Paradroid :)

Last edited:
I will most certainly buy one of these, If only the Amiga was to follow...

I often get nostalgic and miss my Amiga. That poor thing just got so botched by Commodore, and even the fairly recent attempts at a "revival" seem to have fizzled. It's like it was cursed.

I often get nostalgic and miss my Amiga. That poor thing just got so botched by Commodore, and even the fairly recent attempts at a "revival" seem to have fizzled. It's like it was cursed.

I still have all my old hardware, But it's very old and the caps are probably shot by now, I keep an eye on the standalone vampire one but not seen a way to buy one yet.

Played a lot on both, even though Commodores in (Eastern) Europe were but a drop in a sea of ZX Spectrums. Basic OS and the architecture were open and many local producers in these countries would make their own Spectrum derived versions, sometimes surpassing the original design. It was kinda like PC vs Mac these days, open vs closed ecosystem.

Always found the Spectrum+ to be the better choice. The only thing the Commodore did better than the Spectrum was sound reproduction.

I think you missed the point here. This has Vic20 and C64 basic and you can also load your own game roms from USB. Coupled with a improved joystick, this is what many of us have been waiting for. Amazon and Game are already sold out for pre-orders. There are many emulator apps out there if you just want to play a few games, but if you want the C64 / Vic20 experience you either have to take your chances on a much more expensive original which likely needs a complete electronic overhaul, upgrades to allow SD card and TV compatibility etc. or you get this system. If they make an Amiga (more complex due to kickstart), ZX 81/Spectrum, BBC model B etc. equivalent I will order those as well.

I'm from the old 8bit era. There simply is no point is re-producing 35 year old hardware when modern emulation software works just as well (if not better.)

If the goal is to sell ancient software, they can do that in "file" form ("cartridges" are a huge waste today.) I certainly hope they aren't planning on bringing back C64's dog-slow floppy disk drive (the cassette tape data drive was nearly as fast) to load that old software. We already have plenty of C64 emulators with every program imaginable ready for download.

If there was hardware that has any justification for re-creation, it would be the old Atari 8bit computer which had more color & more sound channels than the C64.

Back