GeForce 6600GT PCI-E Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specs:

AMD Athlon64 3200 Socket 939
BioStar 'GeForce 6100-M9' Mobo
nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT PCI-Express
2G DDR

Whenever I play any game (WoW, Civ4, etc) The card/computer will reboot randomly, sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes a few hours. I believe it's the card, as Civ4 runs fine on the mobo's integrated card. I have already replaced the 6600GT with a brand-new one, but no dice.

Any suggestions?

it is properly seated
the drivers are up-to-date
It is on the compatibility list of the games

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

A couple of things for your to check.

1 Overheating. Check your temps.

2 Underpowered psu.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

let me guess, it mostly happens randomly during your wow play, wow is graphics demanding and whether or not your running it on full graphics its still going to push your card, best bet is to get a better powersupply, like 550w should do the trick.

I've uploaded a Minidump file from a recent crash to my site. If anyone could help me interpret this, I'd appreciate it...

http://richtrish.com/Mini021006-01.dmp

This crash actually occured while playing Civ 4.

I'm curious about the underpowered PSU comment. The video card doesn't have dedicated power inputs for it. Would a too-weak power supply still cause these kinds of troubles?

The minidump is in the wrong format. you can upload it here, by either giving it a .txt extension, or just zip it up.

5 or 6 of your latest minidumps would be better, if you have them.

A weak psu can cause all kinds of problems.

What psu do you have? Make, and wattage please.

Regards Howard :)

Take a look HERE You will see that your psu make is on the to avoid list.

Now that doesn`t mean that your psu is responsible for your problems, but it could be.

Can you get those minidumps to me?

All your minidumps crash with a bugcheck of 9C.

This is almost certainly a hardware failure of some description.

0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Make sure nothing is overclocked.

Test your ram/hdd as per this thread HERE

Check your temperatures.

Check your mobo for leaking, or bulging capacitors. See HERE for further info.

Disconnect anything not required to run your system.

Hi Shinyranger,

I was interested to hear if you ever found the root cause of your problem. I have the exact same issue and configuration. The only differences are that I already replaced the CPU and power supply assuming they may have been causing the problems.......but not so. I've also shut off all background programs while running a single game (Call of Duty) and I'm still experiencing periodic shutdowns.

So just curious if you ever found your problem and a solution??

Thx
Zim90

Hmmm... I believe that it was an issue with the AGP aperture size in the BIOS setup. Try messing with that to fix it.

But always be careful in the BIOS!

(Directed at Zim90)

Excellent point.... >_> If he doesn't come and explain it himself, I'll ask him Monday afternoon and come back here when I find out.

So please be patient =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back