GeForce Beyond: watch Nvidia unveil the RTX 4000-series graphics cards here at 8am PT...

midian182

Staff member
Highly anticipated: After what feels like an eternity of waiting, Nvidia is finally giving its RTX 4000-series graphics cards their official unveiling today at GTC 2022. You can watch the entire GeForce Beyond livestream right here at 8am PT / 11am ET / 4pm BST.

Nvidia will reveal its next-generation architecture, now-confirmed to be called Ada Lovelace, at its GPU Technology Conference (GTC) during the GeForce Beyond keynote event hosted by its leather jacket-loving CEO, Jensen Huang.

We still don't know which RTX 4000 cards will be unveiled, but it seems the RTX 4090 and RTX 4080 are pretty much certainties, and the RTX 4070 is more than likely going to be on show, too. There are rumors that we'll also see variations of the cards, possibly with different memory configurations or even Ti versions, in a few hours.

The Nvidia GeForce Twitter account has been teasing the arrival of the Ada Lovelace architecture recently. One of the clips it posted shows a sticky note with the numbers (208) 629-7538. It's not 100% certain what they represent, but the theory is that the '629' in the center of the string is the AD102 GPU's die size. This was rumored to be 628mm squared, suggesting the actual figure is 1mm larger than thought.

The second number, 7538, is more than likely the number of transistors. We've heard the RTX 4090 will feature 75 billion transistors, so the specific figure could be 75.38 billion. While the '208' at the beginning of the sequence may refer to the GPU offering 2.08x more performance than the GA102 found in the RTX 3090 and RTX 3080.

Another clip shows the "Diagram for the computation by the Engine of the Numbers of Bernoulli" by Ada Lovelace, seemingly confirming the architecture's name—the first time the company has done so officially.

We're also expecting the first three RTX 4000 cards to launch in reverse order of power, with the RTX 4090 first followed by the RTX 4080 and then the RTX 4070. Last month brought reports that the RTX 4090 was in production, and we've seen leaked images of third-party cards from Zotac (above), Galax, and others.

Lovelace is expected to offer incredible performance compared to the current-gen cards, with the RTX 4090 more than twice as fast as the current RTX 3090, and even the RTX 4070 (or its Ti model) able to match the RTX 3090 Ti. The series is also said to be very power-hungry and could carry a hefty price tag. We'll find out which rumors were accurate in a few hours.

Permalink to story.

I only care about pricing. We already know they're better (duh) and more power hungry. Bring it on, Nvidia!

I'm more interested in what AMD is doing right now. They're the ones that need to catch up. The RTX 4000 series seems be an evolution of the current architecture.
I could be wrong as I haven't kept up as much with AMD's new GPU's but I swear they've said they're a chiplet design?

If that's the case, I'm pretty excited for AMD. They're killing it with the chiplet design on CPU's. Would love to see what they can do on the GPU side.

I am only interested in power consumption. I don't want a torch inside my case.

Let's see what leather jacket boy has to say about new gen, hope it's not "it just works" with a 2kw PSU.
aXYq63g_700bwp.webp

Judging from the latest news about Nvidia I'm not too sure I would be willing to invest in any of their current or future products. A company that's reputation, especially among it's business pardners, has declined so badly may very well find itself without anyone willing to support or work with them. As heavily dependent as they are on this, they could well end up not having any meaningful products to sell .....

Judging from the latest news about Nvidia I'm not too sure I would be willing to invest in any of their current or future products. A company that's reputation, especially among it's business pardners, has declined so badly may very well find itself without anyone willing to support or work with them. As heavily dependent as they are on this, they could well end up not having any meaningful products to sell .....
Let's be serious, Nvidia may have done something, but companies like EVGA aren't "innocent" either. They bet on crypto going strong this year too and they lost. Now they are stuck with expensive stocks they can't sell for a profit because the market crashed and the inflation is high.

As Alexander Anderson put it in Hellsing Abridged:
"Don't weep for the stupid, you'll be crying all day."

So nvidia shows over and over that they have no morals and yet here are the loyal fanboys expressing their blind love, including people that due to their position, should be neutral, instead, cant be trusted with their words.

Last month I could afford the 3080 12GB model and wow it runs everything at 4k maxed out so why would I want this new series at all? If someone is just plain stupid and has more money than brains great go keep NVidia in business. the rest of us will simply buy something else.

I'm more interested in what AMD is doing right now. They're the ones that need to catch up. The RTX 4000 series seems be an evolution of the current architecture.

Nah AMD is fine they just need to have better RT performance in the coming Gen. Just like NV should have focused on power consumption on this Gen....

Let's be serious, Nvidia may have done something, but companies like EVGA aren't "innocent" either. They bet on crypto going strong this year too and they lost. Now they are stuck with expensive stocks they can't sell for a profit because the market crashed and the inflation is high.

NV is a billion dollar company lol they can defend themselves.

As someone using an amd card im interested in what nvidias bringing, if the price isnt insane I'll burn the cash to replace this wonky 6800xt and its terrible drivers

Without open-loop liquid cooled I'm not sure this is feasible. Maybe people start using the last slot of the mobo and let the card hang off the edge a bit, but only for cases with space. I'd have to move PSU. 1600w is the limit for common power plugs in the USA making two of these on a mobo extremely difficult for more than one reason. Some of us have other power draw in their cases.

Boy, everything announced so far is the same as before, proprietary tech that only helps to keep you locked into their jail.

How can consumers be happy with this?

DLSS3 is doing frame interpolation, which is the natural next step for increasing frame rates. This makes a lot of sense as ultra high-frame rate monitors become more popular and many games are CPU bound.

Edit: To be honest, though, the modding tools are probably the most interesting thing in the presentation. I'm really looking forward to playing Portals Remastered and to see whether modders can actual use these tools.

Last edited:
Nah AMD is fine they just need to have better RT performance in the coming Gen. Just like NV should have focused on power consumption on this Gen....

RTX 4000 series power efficiency improvement is massive. You getting almost 2x performance per watt over current GPU

Boy, everything announced so far is the same as before, proprietary tech that only helps to keep you locked into their jail.

How can consumers be happy with this?

If you are nvidia consumer then why do you care

proprietary tech (DLSS) is better than FSR and the gap will even bigger with DLSS3.0 as DLSS3.0 boost fps even more than DLSS2.0

The prices hit pretty hard. The starting price of the 4080 (meaning the 12GB version) was $899. Ouch! Other than that, it was par for the course event. The RT improvements and DLSS 3.0 were the most exciting improvements, but it sounds like DLSS 3.0 is exclusive to RTX 40?

Impressive tech demos and promises of future game enhancements, but, very little except for very high prices for current games and near future releases.

RTX 4000 series power efficiency improvement is massive. You getting almost 2x performance per watt over current GPU

I am sorry, but did you somehow already have access to independent reviews to believe that or just blindly believing jensen?
f you are nvidia consumer then why do you care

Because I was burned in the past?
proprietary tech (DLSS) is better than FSR and the gap will even bigger with DLSS3.0 as DLSS3.0 boost fps even more than DLSS2.0

Again, do you have links to justify that absolute level of confirmation?

Because last I checked, FSR 2 and DLSS 2 whatever are almost neck and neck, except for small artifacts, which I am more than willing to accept as a trade off in having the freedom to choose from a bigger hardware market.

But again, some people simply cant understand that.

Last edited by a moderator:
EVGA ditching nVidia speaks volumes here. I'll probably buy an AMD/Sapphire for my next GPU because of EVGA exiting the market.

EVGA didn't sell to miners. That was Asus and the rest of the board partners. EVGA even went so far as to setup a queue system, and limit the number of cards you could buy through it, as a way to help ensure that cards ended up in the hands of gamers. EVGA is stuck with expensive cards because they aren't playing games like selling direct to mining operations under the table - like Asus was doing. nVidia put a floor and ceiling on the retail price of all cards, making the top SKUs money-losers for everyone (unless you were selling under the table). This normally would not be a problem, because you make your money on the mid and low tier cards in volume, but the supply chains couldn't support the volume and nVidia told their partners to pound sand when they wanted to adjust the price caps for retail sales.

Terrible pricing that actually mentions last gen cards (3060 etc) as part of lineup. Basically they are trying to sell old hardware by inflating price of new. Absolutely scummy practice.

Terrible pricing that actually mentions last gen cards (3060 etc) as part of lineup. Basically they are trying to sell old hardware by inflating price of new. Absolutely scummy practice.
From his last statements before the launch it was a clear fact.
In my country there's an old saying:
"man asking for higher price it's not stupid, but the one who pays"

EVGA ditching nVidia speaks volumes here. I'll probably buy an AMD/Sapphire for my next GPU because of EVGA exiting the market.

EVGA didn't sell to miners. That was Asus and the rest of the board partners. EVGA even went so far as to setup a queue system, and limit the number of cards you could buy through it, as a way to help ensure that cards ended up in the hands of gamers. EVGA is stuck with expensive cards because they aren't playing games like selling direct to mining operations under the table - like Asus was doing. nVidia put a floor and ceiling on the retail price of all cards, making the top SKUs money-losers for everyone (unless you were selling under the table). This normally would not be a problem, because you make your money on the mid and low tier cards in volume, but the supply chains couldn't support the volume and nVidia told their partners to pound sand when they wanted to adjust the price caps for retail sales.
EVGA 100% sold to miners just like everybody else. Let's not make them the good guys here, both companies only care about their bottom line.

Back