Getting this SATA HD to work with older motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specs:
Msi 875p Neo Fis2r Motherboard
AmiBios version 3.31a
2 Gigs of RAM
2 DVD Drives. One is CD and DVD-RW and one is DVD Read.

Currently I have two hard drives. One is a Samsung 80 Gig harddrive with the older gray data cable.

The other is a SATA Hard drive, 300 GB. SATA cable, that plugs into the
SER4 orange slot on my Motherboard.

Right now the Samsung is my main boot device and has windows installed on it.

I want to make the SATA Hard Drive my main boot device and make it to were I can install a fresh copy of windows on it. I want to make it my master drive. I have an older Mother Board. It is an AGP Model.

How do I get this done?

Further information

My bios lists the SATA Drive drive when I want to select the boot up device, but not in the CMOS section when it lists all the drives connected to my computer.

It could be that sata drives are listed somewhere else, some mobo's do that.

To boot from your sata drive go into your bios, boot sequence, and put the Sata drive first.
If it's on a controller it might show up as something else, for example all the drives on my sata controler show up as SCSI drives.

If it's not there, maybe if you update your bios it'll show up(older mobo's sometimes don't support sata that well)

The 300 Gig Sata drive doesn't have windows installed on it yet. I'm wanting to know how to install windows on it from the Windows CD, because when I load up from the Windows CD and it lists all previously installed versions of windows, it doesn't list my SATA drive to install it.

Also, how to make the SATA drive my maindrive. I want to make it Drive C: instead of Drive G.

When I try to install steam on the SATA drive, or drive G:, it gives me a 1305 error saying that the file steaminstall.msi could not be read and to check to verify that the file exists or if you have Access to it.

I'm wanting to use this 300 gig drive because it holds more memory and after using this 80 gig harddrive for 5 years, I've learned that 80 gigabytes can go pretty fast.

The reason it doesn't show up in your winxp setup is because you need to load the drivers of the sata controller, it should be on the cd you got with your mobo.

Start the setup, press F6, load the driver(on a floppy), then you can continue the install like as if it was a PATA drive.

I think your old 80GB hd will still show up as C:\ in the setup. You can remove it completely(the partition), or change the drive letter in windows(don't know if you can change the letter of your OS partition while the os is active), or just disconnect the hd completely(imo the best solution, my case is open so not much work, depends on your situation).

Another problem

My Floppy drive isn't working. It's telling me a disk that's in the drive isn't formatted and it want's me to format it. Yet, when I take the disk out and double click floppy drive in My Computer, it says the same thing.

Nevermind

I'm an *****, the 4 pin power cable wasn't plugged into my Floppy drive. Problem solved.

I'm going to try to do the Sata thing you said.

I'm thinking he can just go to the sata manufact. website and dl the drivers and install them. Then reconnect SATA and boot into BIOS. set SATA as master (now it should be recognized) and set DVD as 1st boot. Insert Windows install disk in dvd and reboot. You're on your way.

kirock said:
I'm thinking he can just go to the sata manufact. website and dl the drivers and install them. Then reconnect SATA and boot into BIOS. set SATA as master (now it should be recognized) and set DVD as 1st boot. Insert Windows install disk in dvd and reboot. You're on your way.

nah, he can't, WinXP setup doesn't have the sata drivers, at least not mine, or my cousins, or my sisters etc etc etc ;).
You need to put them on a floppy, then press F6, let xp load the drivers, and then you'll see the drive :)

Look at this.

JacobTheRedWolf said:
How do I upload an image?

You can upload it to your own webspace and put a link here or you can add it as an attachment when you make a post.

I think the 2nd option will be best in your case

The installation app I got for the Raid drivers isn't letting me install anything becuase my hardware isn't compatibible.

I checked the system requirement and the only one I don't have is "Intel(R) 82801ER I/O Controller Hub." Can that be downloaded, and if so will it be compatible?

I went to Device Manager and looked at the list of SCSI/RAID Controllers. I expanded that list, and it listed 1.) SCSI/RAID Host Controls and 2.) WinXP Promise SATA378 (tm) IDE Controller. Number one did not have drivers but number 2 did. They were ulsata.sys and ptipbm.dll. Are those the drivers I needed or are there other drivers I'm missing?

Problem Solved

I installed a fresh copy of windows onto the SATA drive using the SATA drivers that came on a floppy disk that I am so thankful that I kept all these years. Now, when the computer boots up it asks me which operating system I want to start, I simply choose the top one on the list of two choices, both being Windows XP HOME Edition and it boots up from my SATA drive.

Problem solved.

The only down side is that It still does not list my SATA drive in the BIOS. If any of you can figure out how to do that, go right ahead and tell me, otherwise, don't even worry about it, unless not having a drive listed in the BIOS while still bootable is a problem.

(I'm always solving my own problems.) Well, mostly, CRAZY did give me a few good ideas that led me to the answer.

Thanks guys.

On Second Thought

Now that I've been getting BSOD's from hell, I'm removing this damn Sata drive from my system.

People, take heed and know that trying to use an older AGP motherboard for a conduit for a Sata drive is like masterbating with a cheese grater - Slightly amusing, but mostly painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back