Gigabyte reveals 55-inch 4K gaming monitor with Android OS, 120Hz refresh rate, and more

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Gigabyte has announced a new product that straddles the line between gaming monitor and television. Measuring a monstrous 55 inches, the 4K Gigabyte S55U offers a slew of compelling features that includes a 120Hz refresh rate, quantum dot tech, HDMI 2.1, and Android OS with Google Assistant and built-in Chromecast.

The Gigabyte S55U seems to offer something for all use cases. The HDMI 2.1 spec makes it ideal for those who want to get the most from their PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X/S consoles. It also uses the Android operating system, so you get a dedicated Google Assistant button on the remote and shortcuts for the YouTube, Google Play, Netflix, and Amazon Prime apps. It's a bit like Samsung's 43-inch Smart Monitor but with more of a gaming focus.

This is still a gaming monitor at heart, of course. That 55-inch panel uses VA technology alongside quantum dots to offer a more vibrant display with 96% DCI-P3/140% sRGB color space coverage and greater brightness and HDR effects.

Elsewhere, the Gigabyte S55U features 132 local dimming zones for enhanced contrast, 500cd / m2 standard and 1,500cd / m2 peak brightness, 2ms GTG (min) and 5ms GTG(avg.) response speeds, and a 5000:1 contrast ratio. One thing that may disappoint is that it comes with FreeSync Premium rather than G-Sync.

The monitor has plenty of support for HDR content—Dolby Vision, HDR10, HDR10+, HLG—and audio is provided by two 10W Dolby Atmos/ DTS HD speakers along with an audio jack and optical fiber out.

Connectivity-wise, there are two HDMI 2.1 ports, two HDMI 2.0, one USB 3.2 Gen 1 Downstream port, one USB 3.2 Gen 1 Upstream port, one USB 2.0, one Ethernet, wireless 802.11ac, and Bluetooth.

Gigabyte hasn't revealed when the S55U will launch or the all-important price. It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up against our current favorite large-format 4K HDR monitor/TV, the 48-inch LG C1 OLED, which is available for around $1,000.

Permalink to story.

I'd imagine it would need to be cheaper than LG's OLED offering, as that offers the majority of the features listed here, but with OLED tech thrown in, and it's a known good performer - I also don't really get why they made it 55 inches, as that is too big to use as a proper monitor, at least with other monitor's / TV's you canngo to a smaller size, along with using VA tech on a panel this large, which I don't imagine would be too great with the range in viewing angles you are going to get with a display of this size

This is a Hisense U88G relabel as a Gigabyte, with slightly different back panel and bezel, but barely. I have this exact TV, pretty impressive all around unit, have still not tried out the VRR feature.

https://www.hisense-canada.com/en/h...-uled-android-tv-with-quantum-dot-technology#

U88G_Back__ScaleMaxHeightWzc1MF0.jpg

Back