GM announces $107,000 all-electric 2024 GMC Sierra Denali

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Forward-looking: General Motors is fully embracing its electrification push with the recent announcement of the first ever Sierra EV pickup. The Sierra EV Denali Edition 1 will deliver an estimated range of 400 miles on a full charge. It will be compatible with 800-volt DC public fast charging systems that can supply up to 100 miles of range in just 10 minutes.

The Onboard Power Station Pro, meanwhile, turns the truck into a "mobile power source" with up to 10.2kW of off-board power when paired with the optional Ultium Power Bar.

Other noteworthy amenities include a 16.8-inch touchscreen infotainment system, hands-free driver assistance technology, adaptive suspension to raise or lower the truck by two inches for increased comfort or ground clearance, regen on-demand braking, customizable drive modes and four-wheel steer with CrabWalk like on the Hummer EV for improved maneuverability in tight spaces. A front-mounted eTrunk affords additional lockable, weatherproof cargo space and the MultiPro Midgate expandable bed provides more room when hauling long items.

The Ultium powerplant generates a GM-estimated 754 horsepower and 785 lb-ft of torque in Max Power mode, which is good enough to propel the beefy pickup from zero to 60 mph in less than 4.5 seconds. High-end EVs like this, even hulking pickups, are no joke when it comes to sprinting off the line thanks to their instant torque delivery and four-wheel-drive systems. Max towing capacity is rated at up to 9,500 pounds.

Last year, parent company GM said it is aiming to eliminate tailpipe emissions from new light-duty vehicles by 2035. That is in line with efforts from states like California and New York to mandate zero-emission vehicles by the same date.

The 2024 Sierra EV Denali Edition 1 will be available in early 2024 with an MSRP starting at $107,000 plus dealer fees. Interested parties can join a waitlist over on GMC's website to get the ball rolling. GMC will introduce Sierra EV AT4 and Elevation trims with the 2025 model year, we are told.

Permalink to story.

Wicked cool truck. Amazing what car manufactures are building these days. It is about time.

"starting at $107,000 plus dealer fees"

I wish I knew where people get the money to buy these ridiculously priced vehicles. It is a "truck" after all. Either I am doing something wrong in life, or people are in a level of debt that may never get out of.

One trend I am fond of is that of manufactures trying to make electric cars not "look like the future". But, please, get the god-awful tablets out of the dashboards and give me at least a few tactile buttons. I'm not asking for much, just a volume knob and climate controls.

Also, what happens when these screens start to fail? You're going to have to pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars to replace these things. I'm okay with a touch screen in car managing some functions, there is a point where having a physical button for everything becomes ridiculous and impractical. However, I don't want to lose the ability to turn the volume down if my cards "phone" screen dies. The extreme environment in a vehicle from heat cycling WILL damage and weaken connections overtime. Work hardening in solder joints is a very real thing and is actually one of the number one causes of failure move modules like window motors and power lock actuators. Not to mention the vibrations added into the mix.

Go ahead and put some screens in a car, but keep analog gauges. As some who regularly drives thousands of miles a month for work in all weather conditions, I simply will not buy a vehicle where I have to take my eyes of the road to do something like lower the volume or turn the AC off.

Last edited:
Its a GM, so Pass...

They can't even get their current lineup to not suck and be reliable. Cylinder deactivation on the 5.3 is still a crapshoot.

Honestly it seems like if it doesn't have a 6.0 in it, it is doomed to fail.

All their Inline 4's and V6's also suck and are rated as some of the most unreliable engines on the modern market.

That will have to go into the category of “things I can no longer afford”. Along with a new graphics card, a house, winter heating oil, college, and soon food.
this goes in about 15 year cycles. The market crashes because of greed squeezing ever last bit of wealth out of the middle class. Those companies doing the squeezing fail and after a few years things start to return to normal. for about 5-7 years we enter into a period of wealth for even the lower classes and then the squeeze begins again.

Next few years are going to be rough, I hope you've all stocked up on rice and ramen. 1992, 2008, and now it's going to be 2023.

Wicked cool truck. Amazing what car manufactures are building these days. It is about time.

I wish I knew where people get the money to buy these ridiculously priced vehicles. It is a "truck" after all. Either I am doing something wrong in life, or people are in a level of debt that may never get out of.
They're in huge debt. I don't know ANYONE who has a car like this that isn't in massive debt. The rich people I know are driving Camries, Subaru SUVs, and Honda Pilots that they either lease or buy outright, not $100k cars.

How come they never advertise an electric truck as a work truck? They show you nice pictures, all the fancy gadgets, but never show you the truck doing anything work related. Do they show you the truck hauling a 30ft trailer camper? How about a contractor using the truck for their everyday business?

It's a joke and the joke is on us. They could of easily went to hybrids first and then moved on to all electric. This way by the time we went to electric, the technology would be more advanced than what is now. Going all electric now is putting us 10 steps backwards

How come they never advertise an electric truck as a work truck? They show you nice pictures, all the fancy gadgets, but never show you the truck doing anything work related. Do they show you the truck hauling a 30ft trailer camper? How about a contractor using the truck for their everyday business?

It's a joke and the joke is on us. They could of easily went to hybrids first and then moved on to all electric. This way by the time we went to electric, the technology would be more advanced than what is now. Going all electric now is putting us 10 steps backwards

It's likely these trucks are aimed at businesses (specifically in construction). GM intentionally re-invented their pickup to try to leapfrog Ford's attempt to essentially retro-fit an F-150 into an EV.

With those raw horsepower and torque numbers: These trucks would easily make it financially lucrative to replace a fleet of gasoline or diesel trucks (more power + the difference in fuel and maintenance pays for itself, quickly).

It's hard to imagine GM targeting a $107k+ car at weekend-warriors.

It's likely these trucks are aimed at businesses (specifically in construction). GM intentionally re-invented their pickup to try to leapfrog Ford's attempt to essentially retro-fit an F-150 into an EV.

With those raw horsepower and torque numbers: These trucks would easily make it financially lucrative to replace a fleet of gasoline or diesel trucks (more power + the difference in fuel and maintenance pays for itself, quickly).

It's hard to imagine GM targeting a $107k+ car at weekend-warriors.
No, it doesnt. The raw cost of these electric vehicles adds up REAL fast, to the point that under normal driving conditions you would need to drive over200k miles just to break even, not counting the costs of new batteries.

Nobody in construction is buying these EVs. The ones buying them are those who, frankly, dont need trucks. You know the type: commutes from suburbia, takes their truck to the mall parking lot, needs 4WD for 1" of snow.

Nobody in construction buying a $100K+ half ton golf cart that cant go 50 miles away from a job site with a trailer.

10 minutes for 100 miles? Cool, but I can still top my diesel fuel tank in 3 minutes, pay for the fuel in the next 2, drive for 500 miles and repeat. That gives me 1000 miles for 10 minutes lost @ refueling.

Joke (though true) aside, I'm all for non-carbon environment friendly means of transport. But 100k$ car or 40k won't make a difference. Not in today's economy. Electricity is cheap nowadays compared to fuel, but when the scale turns in favor of electric cars, it will change. My 2 cents, and let me tell you I am not always right (barely ever to be honest).

No, it doesnt. The raw cost of these electric vehicles adds up REAL fast, to the point that under normal driving conditions you would need to drive over200k miles just to break even, not counting the costs of new batteries.

Nobody in construction is buying these EVs. The ones buying them are those who, frankly, dont need trucks. You know the type: commutes from suburbia, takes their truck to the mall parking lot, needs 4WD for 1" of snow.

Nobody in construction buying a $100K+ half ton golf cart that cant go 50 miles away from a job site with a trailer.
This ^^

this goes in about 15 year cycles. The market crashes because of greed squeezing ever last bit of wealth out of the middle class. Those companies doing the squeezing fail and after a few years things start to return to normal. for about 5-7 years we enter into a period of wealth for even the lower classes and then the squeeze begins again.

Next few years are going to be rough, I hope you've all stocked up on rice and ramen. 1992, 2008, and now it's going to be 2023.
I hate Raman. I would stock up on fiber and protein bars and the every day staple. COFFEE :)

That "you're going to have to replace the batteries" argument is nothing but propaganda furthered by the anti-EV crowd. It's more likely that your vehicle will have to be replaced due to the body rusting before the battery will wear out - especially if you live in a region that uses lots of road salt in the winter.

That said, however, the cost of this vehicle is insanely steep, IMO. I'm not surprised, though. SUVs and Pickups have been notoriously priced to line the pocket of American vehicle manufacturers for a long time.

10 minutes for 100 miles? Cool, but I can still top my diesel fuel tank in 3 minutes, pay for the fuel in the next 2, drive for 500 miles and repeat. That gives me 1000 miles for 10 minutes lost @ refueling.

Joke (though true) aside, I'm all for non-carbon environment friendly means of transport. But 100k$ car or 40k won't make a difference. Not in today's economy. Electricity is cheap nowadays compared to fuel, but when the scale turns in favor of electric cars, it will change. My 2 cents, and let me tell you I am not always right (barely ever to be honest).
Right now, the high cost is being born by early adopters. It will come down. People think it won't, but there is probably far more research into batteries at this point than in anything else in the transportation world. New batteries are already on the horizon.

That "you're going to have to replace the batteries" argument is nothing but propaganda furthered by the anti-EV crowd. It's more likely that your vehicle will have to be replaced due to the body rusting before the battery will wear out - especially if you live in a region that uses lots of road salt in the winter.

That said, however, the cost of this vehicle is insanely steep, IMO. I'm not surprised, though. SUVs and Pickups have been notoriously priced to line the pocket of American vehicle manufacturers for a long time.
3% each year is no joke. You may be one of the rich folks, but my Diesel is 15 years old. I intend to use it at least 5 more years. Any hybrid or electric is out of the question. More complex stuff = more stuff can break.
Electric vehicles are a joke. Maybe in 20 years. Not for me.

I forgot about coffee, life isn't worth living without it. I don't want to get political, but coffee is major reason to take climate change seriously, man made or not
Not meaning to be mean. But I'll take the climate change coffee brings. :) People are just better people when they have a great coffee to sip on. Hell, it even looks relaxing watching people drink coffee.

No, it doesnt. The raw cost of these electric vehicles adds up REAL fast, to the point that under normal driving conditions you would need to drive over200k miles just to break even
Not just wrong. Damn wrong.
not counting the costs of new batteries
Not necessary. But I can't wait until the next thread when you say that!
I actually always look forward to it.
Nobody in construction is buying these EVs.
Wrong again. Especially for on site trucks, builders are saving a ton of cash and the drivetrain is damn near maintenance free.
You know the type: commutes from suburbia, takes their truck to the mall parking lot, needs 4WD for 1" of snow.
I think it's funny you think that never happens with smoke pumps.
No comment. The cause of that line of thought is not your fault.

You know, I really like reading so many of your posts.
But when it comes to EVs, you are just plain clueless and really bad at it.

Last edited:
Not just wrong. Damn wrong.

Not necessary. But I can't wait until the next thread when you say that!
I actually always look forward to it.

Wrong again. Especially for on site trucks, builders are saving a ton of cash and the drivetrain is damn near maintenance free.

I think it's funny you think that never happens with smoke pumps.

No comment. The cause of that line of thought is not your fault.

You know, I really like reading so many of your posts.
But when it comes to EVs, you are just plain clueless and really bad at it.
And you sir are full of it. Not a single outfit in the construction industry along with the oil & gas industry are using electric pickups tmk.

You just answered your own question.

Back