Google Nexus 5X Review: one of the top value choices in the Android world

Scorpus

Staff member

The most compelling Android devices released each year often fall under Google’s own Nexus brand. Every Nexus phone is launched running the latest version of Android without custom skins and other blemishes, and the hardware you get is typically just as good as other high-end competitors, albeit at a lower price point.

The Nexus 5X is Google’s new mid-range contender, designed alongside the Nexus 6P to be the company’s poster boy for Android 6.0 ‘Marshmallow’. The handset is being manufactured by LG, who has returned to the realm of Nexus devices after developing the much-loved Nexus 5 in 2013. As Google didn’t release a five-inch-class smartphone last year, the 5X is a true successor to the Nexus 5, with many owners of the two-year-old handset eyeing off an upgrade around this time of year.

Starting at $379 for the 16 GB model, the Nexus 5X includes a modest yet decent array of hardware. There’s a 5.2-inch 1080p display on the front, powered by a heat- and power-friendly Snapdragon 808 SoC with 2 GB of RAM. Internally you get a 2,700 mAh battery, and on the back is a large-pixel 12.3-megapixel Sony camera sensor.

Read the complete review.

Google Now is truly useful? Well that's just a matter of perspective. I'd love to be able to uninstall it altogether.

Google Now is truly useful? Well that's just a matter of perspective. I'd love to be able to uninstall it altogether.
buy another phone, root it and take control ;) true google phone isnt really that clean anyway. so why buy crap hardware for full money.

buy another phone, root it and take control ;) true google phone isnt really that clean anyway. so why buy crap hardware for full money.
I used to root but UI's have gotten better over time and there's hardly any bloatware on my phones nowadays (apart from Flipboard but I've disabled it) because they're unlocked and carrier free. As for Google Now, it doesn't bother me because I've gotten used to ignoring it and I've also disabled much of it's so called functionality.

If only this phone had a removable battery. After the nexus 5 died and the battery couldn't be easily replaced, ive been turned off of any sealed phone.

Sadly it seems that no company is interested in making phones like that. hopefully the lumia 950 comes to microsoft's store soon.

If only this phone had a removable battery. After the nexus 5 died and the battery couldn't be easily replaced, ive been turned off of any sealed phone.

Sadly it seems that no company is interested in making phones like that. hopefully the lumia 950 comes to microsoft's store soon.

Get an LG G4, it's a great device and it has a removable battery

I wish the the 5x would of lived up to the original Nexus 5. I found the device to feel too flimsy and get very bogged down when I ran multiple apps. I've since returned it and got the 6p and love it, but my tiny hands make it hard to reach across the screen :(

Back