Gran Turismo 4 for the PS2?

Zen

I'm just a little curious about something in regards to the game Gran Turismo 4 for the Playstation 2 gaming system.

Cover_ps2_granturismo4.jpg

"The Real Driving Simulator".....Yeah right! :mad:

Last night when playing this game for the first time, I was a little disappointed about something. What I'm disappointed about is the fact that when I went around a corner on a race track at to high of speed, I skirted off the course and ran into a wall around 100 miles per hour. Now running into a wall at 100 miles per hour should really hurt a car, if not cripple it. But no, no, I was able to back my car up, put it back on the track and race, all the while my car never showing the signs of a high impact with an immovable object!

I like race games that have all the facets of "realism" including vehicle damage. I like what I find with the XBox 360 game "Forza 2", I've played it on a friend 360 and the realism was great, when you hit a wall in that games it hurts the car and leaves a mark! And no, with Forza 2 you just can't get back on the track and drive to the car potential, the damage also impacts vehicle functionality.

Is there some sort of damage code or cheat I need to input into the game, to give me vehicle damage and the impact register with loss of functionality with the car. Kind of seems a little pointless to be able to drive around a track with no concern for walls and or other cars, kind of reminds me of being a kid at an amusement park, feels like bumper cars if you ask me, just hit the wall, glide on it if you want, allow a wall to help you corner around a track!

Is there anything I can do about this, as to add the final touch of realism to Gran Turismo 4, or am I just stuck with what I got? If I'm stuck, got any good recommendations that will give me what I desire, which it total realism?

"Thanks for your attention here".

"Sorry if I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill"!

Sadly you are stuck with what you have... The PS2 was a great system, but obviously outdated. Great game, but I was saddened that it didn't have damage, also.

I much prefer GT3 for the PS2. It's a pitty you haven't got a PS3 because Race Driver Grid is everything you want in a driving game and much more...:)

I much prefer GT3 for the PS2. It's a pitty you haven't got a PS3 because Race Driver Grid is everything you want in a driving game and much more...:)

Also preferred GT3, GT4 was just too tedious for me. May have to check out Race Driver Grid ... I have a PS3 :)

Man, oh man, I knew it would be only a matter of time, until someone pointed out that I should have purchased a Playstation 3 system! GRID sounds interesting, it's said "everything you want in a driving game and much more"! Maybe sometime in the distant future a Playstation 3 will sit in the place where my Playstation 2 system is now, someday, but not today!

Maybe several months after my up and coming move, then I will sit at my desk and do some "bean counting". If I have enough beans, and I feel comfortable with such a purchase, than you know what will come next! :)

I hope nobody says they hated GRID now after i recommended it...or else i will look stupid :haha:

But honestly, If you love driving games you should try GRID. I love it and i'm not even that big on driving games.

Zen said:
Maybe sometime in the distant future a Playstation 3 will sit in the place where my Playstation 2 system is now, someday, but not today!

What about right next to each other? That's what i have. Unless you've got a PS3 like the one Mizzou has (with backwards compatiblity), you'll need a PS2 for your PS2 games.

There are certainly some PS2 games that are worth holding onto (and playing sometimes) even though you've moved up to the PS3.

Hmmmm.......right next to each other, that I would have to say may be very impressive! A Playstation 2 to the left, a Playstation 3 to the right, figure out some way for hooking up both to one television, probably a couple RCA splitter and a S-Video line share thing.

I don't know all that much about the Playstation 3 system. I have a friend that has one this is "not" backwards compatible, but two friends who's PS3 units are, darn right confusing, I thought a PS3 was a PS3 and all were backwards compatible, I guess I was thinking wrong.

Probably within the next 6-8 months a Playstation 3 will be in my possession, remember I bought my Playstation 2 as kind of a "time filler", something to get me by in between not having a game console, to owning a Playstation 3.

I can just imagine it now, my friend kicks down that old Playstation 1 system to me that he was talking about, me keeping my Playstation 2 and purchasing a Playstation 3, have them all lined up, make sure their all shined up real nice and cleaned, like good soldiers standing at attention. I would have myself a nice "nostalgia row" thing going on, kind of like a history of the Playstation thing going on! :)

I enjoyed GT4, but the lack of damage does somewhat diminish the level of realism. I remember my friend and I got a Mitsubishi 3000GT or similar and pimped it out until it had the most insane acceleration. After that we just used other cars to slow down on corners and could pretty much get back up to top speed so soon after any impact that you didn't have to bother cornering.

I now have GT5 for the PS3 and again it doesn't seem to have any damage modelling but I picked up a steering wheel and pedals from my girlfriends brother in an exchange and have been enjoying the driving experience. Sure crashing isn't realistic but the control of the cars seems to be (not that I have real life experience of driving any of the cars in the game). Turning off the driving assistance options makes it even more challenging and realistic.

Still haven't picked up GT5 but will at some point. Good feedback on the damage, had heard conflicting reports towards the end of development that it would be included. Not a deal breaker either way, especially if the driving physics are good. If you happen to have Forza 3 would be interested in your opinion on how the games compare.

I haven't picked up GT5 yet either. I think you need quite a bit of spare time to tackle a GT game, time i aint got at the moment.

I'll be picking it up at some point though.

That is really cool, that you've got yourself a nice steering wheel setup for your PS3 system! :)

I don't have a wheel system yet, other than using one of two matching hand held "mid wheel" controllers from a company called Gamester. This is what I've been using for all my race car games........

sam0959x.jpg

It's got the R-1, R-2 and L-1, L-2 buttons on the back side of the controller. The rest of the buttons are normal, same as you would find on a regular PS2 controller. Now the wheel looking part moves up and down, up means your turning right, down means your turning left, much like a real wheel in a real car.

Takes about 30 minutes to an hour to get used to, but once you do, race games are that much more fun! :)

GT Force(or Driving Force) Pro with Pedals. It's a PS2 version but has worked without problem on PS3, other than not having a button to perform the function of the central PS button on the PS3 controller.

Logitech%20DRIVING%20FORCE%20PRO%20for%20PS3.JPG

Tempted to get Dirt or some other racing game for the PC now and try it on that :)

If you happen to have Forza 3 would be interested in your opinion on how the games compare.

Don't have Forza unfortunately but if I keep enjoying GT5 I might be tempted to pick up another racing game. Will let you know if I get it and how it compares.

The driving physics in Forza 3 are very good, there is a distinct difference in handling going from car to car. Also, the damage from running into walls or other cars definitely makes you pay a price. Same here on GT5, if I pick it up any time soon will post back with how the games compare.

Had great fun coming off a corner and stomping on the gas and letting the wheel straighten itself up :)

Back