1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you got anxiety when you build?

By HenryBraxton ยท 8 replies
May 1, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. I do! I want it to work (and would hate to send parts back, and wait) so I'm tense when when putting it together. It helps I think as I haven't failed. My last build was with the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master and a 9700K. Anxiety thru the whole build. Wasn't easy to get the MB in place, and thought I bent it a little, but works fine.

[​IMG]

2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,284   +532

I think as you acquire more machines you'll have less anxiety around the build. Knowing that I won't be without a decent computer if I mess things up makes the build process almost worry free, but if my ability to compute and game is based on making sure the build works then I may have a little concern.

3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 15,183   +4,128

@LNCPapa I hadn't given it the slightest thought until I read this thread but, wouldn't it be interesting, (just for laughs), to have a separate, "computer builder's emotional support" sub-forum?

For example, I had an older i3-3225 system laying around just gathering dust. So, I thought to myself, would it be fun to get this up and in service with a vertical 1200 x 1920 monitor, to do portrait orientation photo editing.

Thinking even further ahead, I said to myself, "this turd / relic, only has 8 GB of RAM. I should order 2 more foursies for it". As I searched for the original memory package, to order another 2 x4 GB sticks, I found that I already did that, several years ago. (I think I convinced myself I was saving them to replace a possible bad stick, sometime in the future, then forgot I had them).

with a renewed vigor, and maybe half drunk, I set about installing the additional RAM.

This involved needing to lop off the lowest part of the fan shroud ring on an Arctic Pro 7 to clear the GSkill's heat spreaders., and trying to force the DIMMs in backwards several times as I cursed, and had a few drops of sweat fall onto the motherboard. (By then I was sweating profusely, but managed to keep my head over the side of the case, and the excess sweat mostly landed on the floor.

At this point, I had completely convinced myself I had ruined the memory sticks, and likely the board as well, due to the fact I was uncertain I had successfully found and removed all the sweat droplets from the board.

The moment of truth arrived. I hooked the sucker up to a monitor, and began to try and boot it up. After a half dozen or so POST failures, it finally took and the "starting Windows" screen appeared..........and.................just hung there. No joy. No joy whatsoever..

After disconnecting all the drives save for C:/, and all the memory save for 1 stick in slot 1, I took another shot at it. With several failed POSTs, several long and longing looks at the "starting Windows" screen for minutes at a time, it finally did boot into Windows, but sadly, it wasn't in any way shape or form, repeatable.

By this time, I had myself thoroughly convinced that I had ruined either the board, the memory or both, which caused my anger and anxiety meters both, to blow their needles completely off the dial. As I surveyed the machine for reusable parts, and contemplated a long, embarrassing drive to the recycling center, my head down in shame, I said to myself, "self, for no particular reason why not yank the vid card (EVGA GTX-750 ti), and save it for a future project.

After doing so, I plugged the DVI cable into the board's IGP graphics port, muttered, "what the hell have I got to lose", and hit the power button. What to my poor drunken eyes should appear, but the EUFI notifying me "the BIOS has been corrupted and the backup is being loaded. After that, the machine booted immediately into Windows in mere seconds. (A Samsung 2 1/2" 860 SATA SSD was part of the restoration effort}..

I called EVGA, and as expected, they refused to warrant the 750, as it was maybe 4 months out of warranty, in spite of my truthfulness and sincerity about only getting a day's service tops, from their turd of a graphics card

Oh well, my next graphics will either be Asus or Gigabyte, and I have further promised myself, to fortify myself with Xanax, instead of Bacardi rum for my next project.

Facing a new build, is something akin to opening a closet in one of those dreadful "Chuckie" movies. IMO, Benzodiazapine based anxiolytics are your best defense against the "I'm about to do a new build", jitters.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,284   +532

Lol... maybe there should be a Building War Stories thread. You've already created a great first post for that.

5. neeyik

neeyik TS Guru Posts: 286   +246

I don't get anxiety but I always, always, have at least instance of "dangit, I forgot to do xxxx or yyyy!" Every time, no expections...

6. techmaniac231

techmaniac231 TS Rookie Posts: 23

That's true. With practice anxiety goes away. Though it depends on the person

7. SirDigby

SirDigby TS Evangelist Posts: 527   +189

Aye absolutely, I just upgraded my PC in July but completely botched it.

I got a Ryzen 5 3600 and a MSI B450 MOBO with it, I knew I'd need to flash the BIOS before I could use the CPU so I tried that with the FLASH USB stick - wouldn't work. Got Amazon Prime Now to deliver the Ryzen 3 1300 or something just to get it working so I could update the BIOS properly and I just couldn't get it to work.

In the end I returned the MOBO and Ryzen 3 1300 and just got a X570 MOBO delivered the next day where it'd work out the box like a charm.

That's put me right off building PCs for a while.

8. captaincranky

I suspect it just might have put Amazon off selling you computer parts as well (**)... :rolleyes: :laughing: (At least for a time).

EPILOGUE: Oh well, I have no love nor pity in my heart for Amazon. I tried to order a left handed 12 string guitar from them. They had it listed as "only two left", and a low ball price. I got two right handed guitars in a row.

I noticed they had restocked the identical instrument at a much higher price, I obviously asked them to make good on my sale, albeit at the much lower agreed upon price. Which is when, New Delhi's finest tried to tell me, "that's a different seller". I pointed out .that I had the web page on the new stock right in front of me, and it clearly stated, "sold and shipped by Amazon", right next to the "click me to buy me" button.

After reassuring the customer assistance agents that Jeff Bezos wouldn't be pushing a shopping cart and living out of a cardboard box, even if he took a nasty bath on this one sale, they relented and sent me guitar three, which was indeed, left handed. (y) (Y):)

I will give them kudos for overnighting both the replacement guitars to me, in spite of the fact the original sale was, "free shipping". :heart_eyes:

(**) In hindsight, perhaps, "apprehensive about"< might have been a better choice of words.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  9. captaincranky

And any one of a number of benzodiazipines alleviate those manifestations

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...