Home Build Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cartera

I am currently looking at building a new PC for gaming and perhaps also as a HD Blu-ray player for my TV. I will not be needing any peripherals but i might add things such as more USB ports and a soundcard later. I have already got a blueprint for my PC. I may at a later date SLi enable the PC with another graphics card.

My Budget is around £600 maybe slightly more.

Located in Lancashire but have good contacts all over England and i am willing buy online.

I am not re-using any parts from a previous build apart from my second hard drive which i might place in the machine as a slave drive.
I do not need a monitor because in the beginning i will use my TV. As for keyboard and mouse i will use cordless and will chose them nearer to the build time.
I have not bought any parts yet, this is the blueprint stage.

Here are my Blueprints;
intel core 2 quad q8200 2.33 ghz lga775 socket @ £152 inc. vat

4gb Ballistix 240-pin DIMM DDR2 PC2-6400 @ £55.19

ASUS P5N-D nForce 750i SLI Socket 775 PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard @ £100

Hard Drive: does not need to be bigger than 200gb though due to i have a slave 400gb but i would like it to be at least 7200rpm

512MB GEFORCE 9800GT PCI Express @ £120

OCZ Technology EliteXStream 800W Power Supply
@ £100 (My calculations say this will be enough, correct me if i am wrong :) )

This puts my build at £525 including VAT without the PC case or other extras.
Your pessimism/ optimism is welcomed, thank you in advance

Looks good to me. All reliable, and all will work together. I might quibble over the Q8200 vs 8400, but only if the prices are decent. You are overdoing it on the Power Supply, but I am a strong believer that the power supply deserves all the quality that you put into the motherboard.
Please let us know how it all works together when finished.

You are overspending on some parts. Also, I do not recommend SLI since the extra expenditure does not net you the performance benefit that it should, and it has cons like increased power consumption and heat output. Based on that, here is what I recommend:
Total should be around £530 or so, without considering delivery charges, which is free for all items save the RAM.

If you want to do it your way however, I recommend the same parts above, but get the P5N-D from eBuyer and grab this 9800GT. FYI, the 500W PSU in that case will handle two 9800GTs without any problems whatsoever, so do not worry about that.

Thank you for your replies, thank you rage for your alternative idea and pricing :). I am going part with your idea i think and part with mine. Call me a nvidia fanboy perhaps but i prefer nvidia to ati. So i will stick with the 9800 however i will otherwise follow your setup. Thanks for the help and when i do eventually build i will repost the results :)

I recommend the 9800GTX+ if you are going for an NVIDIA card, the HD 4850 is far more powerful than a 9800GT. The 9800GTX+ and HD 4850 trade blows, so getting either will not be a bad investment, unless you are going over your budget.

Just wondering about the processor you suggested, since it is retail boxed it should come with a Heatsink should it not? Also what cooling would recommend, i have never really dealt with cooling to be honest and have very little insight into it!
Many thanks,

I built my lil rig as follows;

Shark all aluminum case
780i nForce mobo
4 g mushkin memory
Thermaltake 750 psu
Intel Q 6750 quad core
GTX 280 Nvidia video card
Thermaltake Vi PU cooler
4 120mm fans
Windows XP Pro

Status