How to change boot.ini on slave hdd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriends computer would not boot into safe mode so I went into run and typed in msconfig and changed the boot.ini to boot into safe mode. Well it still didn't boot into safe mode and now windows does not start up normally either. It goes to the option screen of how I would like it to boot (safe mode options/ last known good configuration/ start windows normally) but no matter which option I choose it just restarts and goes back to this screen in an endless loop. I have connected her hdd to my computer and made it the slave drive. My question is, is there anyway to access the boot.ini on her hdd and change it back t how it was before the way i have it set up right now? I have tried going to msconfig but only my hdd shows up. Also my hdd is connected via sata and hers is ide, don't know if that makes a difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks =)

thanks for the help rf6647 can you help me out a little more and tell me how I can edit the file on the slave drive or the other way you mentioned thanks

I don't have the recovery disk is there any other way? Or am I able to get one through Microsoft?

It appears that using msconfig probably put the edit into boot.ini. Therefore, your should be able to edit the file on the slave drive & remove the offending safeboot option.

The recovery console is another way to re-create boot.ini. This involves the original HDD back in its computer. bootcfg /Scan finds instances of Windoze installations. Bootcfg /? gives you an idea what is involved.

Go to Start->Control Panel->System->Advanced and uncheck Automatic Restart Box.

Then use the original Windows disk that was used to install Windows. Cold boot to that disk, and scroll through the choices to do R for Repair recovery, or the longer and most tedius route of Recovery.

You will not lose your data, although it is wise to have it backed up first, and the Windows disk will patch all such problems you report back to the original install state.

You may have to run a Windows scan afterwards to find out if your service packs must be automatically reinstalled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back