HP EliteBook 8460p Notebook Review

If I were to be looking for a laptop for one of our users, this wouldn't be it purely because the lack of an SSD is a major dealbreaker for me. Your standard office user isn't going to be storing tons of documents on a laptop (so there's no real need for large HDD's), and what they want more than being able to play Crysis at a passable framerate, is quick boot, wake, app loading and document opening times.

^If you need SSD, just buy it.

HP preloads their newer business class notebooks with Quickweb OS, those have everything on them (Skype, browser, file browser, music player and etc) and boots in <10 secs.

But as far as I can go, I really like HP business class notebooks :)

I feel as though HP's PC division taking its own roots is a good thing. Because they aren't failing. They are progressing. They are making new computers. And they do it rather well.

At least we know HP's PC division is proven to stay wherever it ends up going.

I have just been given one for work in the following config:

The higher resolution screen: 1600*900
The i7 processor
3Gb RAM: sufficient and because...
Win 7 stripped off and XP loaded: company policy :(

Overall its pretty good (I really like the super smooth mouse touch thing), but given that I only use it for MS office I would prefer something different if it was my £1000.

Specifically:
Win 7 and a SSD (cheaper processor would fund this given i7 is way overkill), 4Gb RAM, and lighter
The SSD is the big deal here: I have one on my home PC (gaming rig) and it makes a world of difference
Oh and I wouldn't spend this much money!

One should note that HP and HP Compaq are two very different design and production processes. HP business notebook (such as the 8xxxp and 8xxxxw) are build with more quality and sturdiness in mind and are designed for a different market.

Loving my 8540p!

Just got this for work, it is sturdy and runs smoothly.

However, whoever designed the keyboard should be kicked. It is the worst keyboard layout I've seen:

1. A couple years ago, HP changed "home", "end", "pg up" and "pg dn" into a vertical layout. This is a major inconvenience. Why do you want to have a different layout than everyone else? And HP 8460p kept this strange layout.

2. Notice the gap among each key. What kind of thinking is this? You should either use a larger key if you have the space or keep the same key but use a more user friendlier aspect ratio of screen to reduce the width.

3. Notice the up and down arrow key? The two are cramped together and each has a half height as other key. Why make it more difficult to use this way? You have plenty of space!

Another thing, why keep a dvd drive. For last 5 years, I have never had need to use dvd drive for my work. Why keep something so outdated, heavy and adding cost?

Had it been my choice, I would never buy it.

My office replaced everyone's prior Dell laptops with the HP EliteBook 8460p. They run great for about 6 months and then have terrible issues. Our IT dept. has replaced my laptop 3 times now within the last year. There have been a flooding of IT complaints that employees laptops just shut down while your working, blue screen of death is a regular occurance, and the latest for me (laptop # 3) is the screen no longer works. I have to plug into a 2nd monitor or a projector just to see what I'm doing.

Over 30 laptops were returned to HP for being defective and it appears the replacements are no better.

A couple of things really bugged me: the power cord is suitable for powering a toaster! Hate having to lug that pile of wires around. Also, no user manual? I go to the website and they've got one for all laptops! HP also adds a lot of its internally developed crapware. Would prefer a clean install.

If it's anything like other HP laptops with the new BIOS scheme (UEFI) it's crap out of the box. Anything with that scheme is about as unfriendly as it gets. 5 hours for a factory restore, no reinstall disks, booting off external devices requires turning off security etc. The ONLY people they are protecting with this scheme is MS. Other than that, they are selling crap that is next to impossible for end users to get fixed in a timely and inexpensive fashion. I used to recommend HPs as a good out-of-the-box solution for friends and family, but not after the experiences I have had in helping them with problems. A friend and myself recommend computers to people on a regular basis. Help them find computers that match their budget as well as do what they need them for. HP is getting a lot of us repair people pissed off to the point they will be loosing business with their current products. Kill UEFI, it wasnt necessary in the first place. BIOS worked good. Restoring to the factory image was fast and efficient after backing up user files as well. Conclusion, if it has UEFI, leave it alone. Buy something else. The person that will end up paying extra in the end will be the buyer. (Not to mention, landfills will fill up faster too as nobody wants to mess with and recycle these.)

Deal breaker because of no SSD? I don't think so! I'm still in the camp of a larger HDD vs an SSD that might not cut it long term. The new generation SSDs are lasting much longer and will be a refreshing change, but price vs performance? Nah, the few extra SECONDS it takes to boot or load a game is no big deal. Its not going to make your framerate better, nor is it going to make your game run faster. It'll load a game or OS faster, sure, but thats it. SSDs are ok, but the value is still in HDDs. Based on the review, I love the Alienware laptop! Wish I had one :D

Back