HP monitor blew! Can it still be used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rage_3K_Moiz

My dad's HP D2826 15-inch monitor just blew today! When he turned it on, he said there was this crackling sound coming from the power input in the monitor. He said it was quite loud and after it subsided, he smelled "something like wires" burning and saw smoke come out of the monitor. He pressed the power button to turn it off and there was this huge POP sound and it tripped the circuit breakers. After turning the power back on, I replaced his monitor with an older one. My question is, can he still use it? Or is it just a big paperweight now?

I think you know the answer already. If it's bad enough to trip circuit breakers, what else is there to know? Just remember, in many locales a dead monitor is considered hazardous waste. Dispose of properly.

it definitely needs to be discarded. giventhe description of what happned he runs the risks of possibly damaging any computer he hooks the defective monitor up to.

Most computer shops dont even offer the service of repairing monitors. the simple reason being the low cost of monitors these days means repairinig one would cost more than purchasing a new one. and given what you described I doubt the monitor could even be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back