Intel Core i7-13700K Review: Ryzen 7 7700X Versus

I'm a big fan of both the 13700k and 7700X, their higher ups are just too absurd when it comes to thermals so it's hard to justify it for gaming, the 13900k and 7900/7950 are basically workstation chips. Fantastic performers for productivity, but hardly gaming chips

If I had to do a complete system rebuild today for gaming, I'd actually probably go with a 13600K instead of the the 13700k. CPUs currently are so fast that graphics cards are a bottle neck at 4k and at lower resolutions, the frame rates are so absurdly high that most people don't have monitors that can refresh at 400+fps(I know that's an exaggeration, but you guys know what I mean).

I'm planning on dropping the 58X3D in my system, but if you have some time to wait for a build I'd definitely want to see what AMD has with their 7000X3D series that they said they'd be announcing at CES.

Nice review and thank you for the effort!
would it be possible to test the middle cpus like 13600 and 7600 with more mainstream motherboards and cooling solutions because, in my oppinion, it is not practical to build a medium pc with 360 aio and 500$ motherboards. also, even though it is important to know and provision for the greatest power consumption, it is also useful to know the power consumption in more day to day use cases like gaming and video/web browsing.

I'm a big fan of both the 13700k and 7700X, their higher ups are just too absurd when it comes to thermals so it's hard to justify it for gaming, the 13900k and 7900/7950 are basically workstation chips. Fantastic performers for productivity, but hardly gaming chips
Thermals for both chips are crazy high only when using them in workstation scenarios, while gaming the chips will use a fraction of their total wattage and thus run at much more manageable temperatures.

Der8auer covers this in his review of the i9 13900k where he measures power consumption while gaming and it is much closer to 100-120 watts, something just about any tower style cooler should handle easily let alone large AIOs or a custom loop.

But yeah, an i5 13600k will likely be the gaming CPU to buy if rendering and other workstation tasks are not something you would be intending on doing.

Winner = 5800x3d (for gaming)
Eh building new I didn't want to go back to ddr4 platform and not have things like pci 5 and nvme 5 support I sold my old setup in May for $3600 (10900k/3080ti/32gb ddr 3200mhz)so I wanted to atleast invest my money in a platform that has all the next gen tech plus was a value leader.

The 13700k was just that sweet spot covering all those bases.... Paired it with a cheap set of 32gb ddr5 6000mhz gskill rgb ram ($200) and a Asus strix-e z690 motherboard I got a great deal on at $300 (retail $430) I landed the 13700k for $348 after price match and 10% off coupon + had $200 gift card and rewards points I only spent $125 for my 13700k.

Including a $145 1300w 80+ gold evga psu and my $1540 4090 founders I only spent about $2300 out of pocket and when factoring in what I sold my old setup for I MADE about $950 in the upgrade process.

I don't think anyone can argue with the "value" here. Completely modern platform and top of the charts performance at a much more reasonable cost vs the absolute best.

I see complaints about thermals. The 12th gen contact frame should work great for 13th gen. Haven't seen a single soul mention it.

Eh building new I didn't want to go back to ddr4 platform and not have things like pci 5 and nvme 5 support I sold my old setup in May for $3600 (10900k/3080ti/32gb ddr 3200mhz)so I wanted to atleast invest my money in a platform that has all the next gen tech plus was a value leader.

The 13700k was just that sweet spot covering all those bases.... Paired it with a cheap set of 32gb ddr5 6000mhz gskill rgb ram ($200) and a Asus strix-e z690 motherboard I got a great deal on at $300 (retail $430) I landed the 13700k for $348 after price match and 10% off coupon + had $200 gift card and rewards points I only spent $125 for my 13700k.

Including a $145 1300w 80+ gold evga psu and my $1540 4090 founders I only spent about $2300 out of pocket and when factoring in what I sold my old setup for I MADE about $950 in the upgrade process.

I don't think anyone can argue with the "value" here. Completely modern platform and top of the charts performance at a much more reasonable cost vs the absolute best.
Sir, you've read my mind with respect to upgrades.

I'm already on AM4 (5800X), so I think I'll wait it out until DDR5 prices drop, as I've invested in a lot of DDR4 modules for the systems I support. I was really tempted to 'upgrade' my main rig to the 13700k, but with a DDR4 motherboard, but I think I'll wait a little while longer to see what the inevitable 7xxxX3D CPUs provide in terms of price/performance.

My other issue is that I'll need a new cooler for AM5 as my current one isn't compatible...which was another compelling reason to go 13700k with a DDR4 board, as all I would need is the board itself, and CPU.

For now, I think I'll satisfy myself with the 5800X3D and run that for the next 18 months or so. Hopefully by then the AM5 landscape would be much more affordable.

Amazing how many cores intel is now offering for less money, but I wonder what would they do if they get away in recovering the top spot?

Anyways, one question snd sorry if I missed it, why is the intel system using faster memory than the AMD (DDR5-6400 vs DDR5-6000)?

Thanks for the review. Platform costs with
ddr5:

i7 13700K- 930 usd

vs

R7 7700X- 970 usd

The problem is choice.

Last edited:
So.. energy efficiency is what I'm always concerned about (always loved those 65w 5000 series AMD cpus) but yet you mention only that AMD is more efficient - I wish that someone would quantify what that value is exactly like how they calculate the running costs of a car over 3 years (at 15c per kWh here surely saving a 100W per CPU has gotta mean something!)

My son's PC with an AMD 5900 CPU and a 3080ti is a mighty good heater (and that costs me $$) so I'd like to know what it's cost to use your PC with these cpus for like 6 hours a day 5 days a week over a year and see what the real cost is.
(Maybe calculate this using their average CPU temps after running them at 1/2 load and extrapolate for the time over a year?)

Thanks!

So.. energy efficiency is what I'm always concerned about (always loved those 65w 5000 series AMD cpus) but yet you mention only that AMD is more efficient - I wish that someone would quantify what that value is exactly like how they calculate the running costs of a car over 3 years (at 15c per kWh here surely saving a 100W per CPU has gotta mean something!)

My son's PC with an AMD 5900 CPU and a 3080ti is a mighty good heater (and that costs me $$) so I'd like to know what it's cost to use your PC with these cpus for like 6 hours a day 5 days a week over a year and see what the real cost is.
(Maybe calculate this using their average CPU temps after running them at 1/2 load and extrapolate for the time over a year?)

Thanks!

A big percentage of your heat and power problems ( about ~80%) are coming from your GPU choice.

Nice review and thank you for the effort!
would it be possible to test the middle cpus like 13600 and 7600 with more mainstream motherboards and cooling solutions because, in my oppinion, it is not practical to build a medium pc with 360 aio and 500$ motherboards. also, even though it is important to know and provision for the greatest power consumption, it is also useful to know the power consumption in more day to day use cases like gaming and video/web browsing.
This ^^ January will be a game changer imo. That's when Intel is due to release the locked 13 gen cpu's + B760 boards. Look for the i7 13700 / 13700F and the i5 13400 / 13400F. Both the B660 and B760 boards will support those cpu's along with supporting DDR4 and DDR5.

I thought the power and heat excess from my i7 12700k was bad but wow! By your own numbers the 13th gen i7 is just 10% more performant than the 12th gen i7 in the 12 game average but a whopping 37% more power hungry in blender. This isn't innovation, it's just another garbage node refresh from Intel

I thought the power and heat excess from my i7 12700k was bad but wow! By your own numbers the 13th gen i7 is just 10% more performant than the 12th gen i7 in the 12 game average but a whopping 37% more power hungry in blender. This isn't innovation, it's just another garbage node refresh from Intel
I never understood why peeps get the unlocked 12700K.

I'm very happy with my new 7700x and Gigabyte x670 elite mobo. I don't give a darn about productivity, the 7700x is already so frigging fast.

My priorities are gaming performance, low power draw and platform longevity. The 7700x delivers on all three. And I have the additional pleasure of an Intel-free computer.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5Q5ZWNQ/
Thermalright Intel LGA1700 Anti-Bending Bracket (Black) $12.90

I had to modify my Thermalright AM4 top plate to work with the new AM5 backing plate. It was successful, but perhaps beyond what most people can do in their homes. So I wrote Thermalright about an adapter to mount their AM4 coolers to AM5. Here's their reply:

"We will have a AM5 Retail package at the end of OCT. And we will update the website. Please keep following the TR website. Thanks for your support."

So if you have a cherished Thermalright cooler that you want to use with your new Ryzen 7000, just wait a little longer for the adapter kit.

Amazing performance. Finally upgrading after 8 years from a 4790k to the 13700k. Just bought a high-end Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master @ a clearance price of only $264! Was considering going the AM5 route, but a $264 high-end MOBO is impossible to find with AM5.

Now waiting for Black Friday to snatch some 32gb DDR5600 CL36 RAM & a 1tb Gen 4x NVME and it's gonna be a night and day difference! This system will last me another 8 years...lol when I imagine my next upgrade will be to a 64 core CPU! :0

From the article:

For pure gaming, the 13700K and 7700X are neck and neck. If you do a bit of productivity work as well as gaming, then the Core i7-13700K is the better all rounder.

Yet from the YouTube thumbnail:
Cz6aZ11.png

Seriously, annihilate?!

AMD great for just gaming now. To think they had the core advantage and now are left for dead in multi-core productivity software. The gap to my 5800X is enormous in a lot of the non-gaming software I do. AMD IMO dropped the ball sticking with the same design and core counts. Each new gen of the "Lakes" will see increases in E cores and see AMD fall way behind for anything but gaming. But eventually games will make more use of lots of cores. AMD is supposedly going hybrid too with Zen 5, but until then I'm most likely updating my ancient 1700X with a 13700K and just setting a power limit of around 180W. I'm still hanging out for AMD v-cache models though. 7900X3D if they don't increase the current price could be very good.

AMD great for just gaming now. To think they had the core advantage and now are left for dead in multi-core productivity software. The gap to my 5800X is enormous in a lot of the non-gaming software I do. AMD IMO dropped the ball sticking with the same design and core counts. Each new gen of the "Lakes" will see increases in E cores and see AMD fall way behind for anything but gaming. But eventually games will make more use of lots of cores. AMD is supposedly going hybrid too with Zen 5, but until then I'm most likely updating my ancient 1700X with a 13700K and just setting a power limit of around 180W. I'm still hanging out for AMD v-cache models though. 7900X3D if they don't increase the current price could be very good.

AMD will most likely be forced to use Zen4C in future generations if they want to achieve better multithreading. (unless they find a way to add more big full cores to an CCD without increasing cost and size too much)

A combination of 1 CCD with 8 big Zen 5 cores and 3D cache and 1 CCD with 16 smaller cores Zen 4C/5C (for a total of 24) would kinda destroy Intel (especially if the smaller cores perform as rumoured).

Things are moving fast tick and tock and all that - unlike before - I think they landscape will change year to year - If you can get a good deal at moment and need to upgrade go for it .
For lots of productivity - The latest superfast drives and memory - make a big difference to your time - actual processing - just run overnight - . Loading a 50Gb 4K video you shot - memory and drive are everything - run some test encodes - set to run overnight .
With SSD drives DDR5 prices set to fall - capacity to get bigger - Productivity will get a real boost
When Zen 5 3nm chips - plus 3Dv + AMD really kick in - same for Intel - plus both will add some other cool stuff in next few years - exciting times .
I don't need to upgrade my 5600x and 3700x - still have a third PC to upgrade.

However if I see a bargain on a HQ AMD motherboard next year - may snap it up and put an a cheaper level system together knowing I can upgrade it massively in 3 years .
Productivity Motherboards are not cheap - 4Tb fast M2 drives - not cheap DDR 5 not cheap etc

My next upgrade needs to be next gen - I will build it around the motherboard - CPUs are there to sold and upgraded or reassigned going forward .

AMD Is right - build your system around a platform not a chip.

Intel build your system around the CPU.

Look at the above chips $400 - they will go cheaper - the days of $400 CPU +$120M/B +$100 memory are over + spinning rust

I will say it again AMD is right - Platform is everything - that's why AMD is currently in trouble as the Platform is currently expensive - but those people who buy now will laugh in 4 years slotting in a mega fast CPU

Back