Intel Core i9-12900K spotted with unique retail packaging

Daniel Sims

Staff
What just happened? A user on Reddit has posted photos of what they claim to be Intel's Alder Lake Core i9-12900K processor ahead of its official launch in the coming weeks. The user hasn't been able to benchmark it yet, but this at least confirms some interesting packaging.

Reddit user Seby9123 posted the the photos of the Core i9-12900K in the Intel subreddit, claiming to have acquired two of them for $610 (pre-tax) each, which would compare favorably to AMD's competing Ryzen 9 5950X, which is $725. The user claims to live in the United States.

Seby9123's unboxing of the 12900K reveals a sort of gold-colored case inside the standard Intel box, made to look like a semiconductor wafer, which houses the CPU itself. This seems to be the same packaging that leaked at the beginning of this month. They couldn't find any details like processor frequency or even core count on the box.

Seby9123 hasn't actually tried the processor out because they don't yet have a motherboard on which to install it. Once they acquire one, they plan to benchmark it against a Core i9-10900K and a 5950X, with both DDR4 and DDR5 RAM. Previous benchmarks have already shown Intel's upcoming Core i9 putting up a fight against the 5950X.

Early prices that have been posted for the 12900K have varied quite a bit. A leaker in September suggested it would be around $700, while a US retailer listed it at $605. Amazon Netherlands, on the other hand, listed it at $812.

Intel is expected to formally reveal the Alder Lake processors toward the end of this month, and release them in the beginning of November.

Permalink to story.

It’s going to be like $800 if it’s faster than the 5950X. Before Ryzen launched in 2017 the most expensive Intel i7 on the mainstream socket was the $300 7700K. Basically AMD has massively increased the pricing of mainstream grade CPUs. They don’t even really sell anything for less than $200, which used to be the price of an unlocked i5, or usually the second most expensive product in the stack in the Intel dominant pre-Ryzen era.

All that being said I expect AMD to slash prices on their 5000 series if the benchmarks for Alder lake are strong.

It’s going to be like $800 if it’s faster than the 5950X. Before Ryzen launched in 2017 the most expensive Intel i7 on the mainstream socket was the $300 7700K. Basically AMD has massively increased the pricing of mainstream grade CPUs. They don’t even really sell anything for less than $200, which used to be the price of an unlocked i5, or usually the second most expensive product in the stack in the Intel dominant pre-Ryzen era.

All that being said I expect AMD to slash prices on their 5000 series if the benchmarks for Alder lake are strong.
Gotta pay for R&D and that Arizona fab!

Sale war on Newegg.ca right now. AMD and Intel 10-35% off!!

Last edited:

They are already selling for 600 us dollars, so yeah AMD will have to lower entire 5000 series and launch the zen3 refresh with 3d cache too, asap. Prices won't be affected too much by the chip situation, as Intel makes them without a 3rd party. AMD relies on TSMC and TSMC dictates prices and output + TSMC is under heavy pressure and it's mostly GPU's anyway, not CPU's that's the problem.

The i7-12700K should deliver pretty much identical gaming performance and single thread performance is 25-33% faster than Ryzen 5000 series. (33% at 5.2 GHz and 25% at stock).

I look forward to see if going i9 over i7 is actually going to increase performance outside of synthetic testing (cinebench etc), when they are clocked identical. Only difference is 4 efficiency cores.

That's for a 4 core CPU. AMD took Intel's top of the line 1000$ CPU and gave it for 4-500$ to consumers.
Without AMD you would still be stuck with expensive 4 core CPUs.

Last edited:
That's for a 4 core CPU. AMD took Intel's top of the line 1000$ CPU and gave it for 4-500$ to consumers.
Without AMD you would still be stuck with expensive 4 core CPUs.
If you think it’s ok for AMD to charge $750 for a consumer grade part because it’s got 16 cores you would applaud any company delivering say 32 cores for $1250?

So what happened to being able to buy a modern consumer grade CPU for $200-$300? Or will you let AMD and Intel brainwash you out of thousands of dollars? Core count is just a number. And having lots of cores isn’t expensive. There are cheap mobile CPUs out there with 8 cores.

At the end of the day we pay more now. So what if we got more cores, we would have got them anyway.

If you think it’s ok for AMD to charge $750 for a consumer grade part because it’s got 16 cores you would applaud any company delivering say 32 cores for $1250?

So what happened to being able to buy a modern consumer grade CPU for $200-$300? Or will you let AMD and Intel brainwash you out of thousands of dollars? Core count is just a number. And having lots of cores isn’t expensive. There are cheap mobile CPUs out there with 8 cores.

At the end of the day we pay more now. So what if we got more cores, we would have got them anyway.
Your thinking is not correct. You have to compare with what came before.

Yes, the 5000 series saw a markup of about 50$ at launch which nobody was happy about. But you are not talking about the 5000 series, you are talking about the price in general of CPUs since Ryzen came out.

Ryzen brought a HUGE decrease in prices for high core counts. This is a known fact. Intel doesn't even make new workstation CPUs because AMD destroyed the high core count market (value and performance wise) and brought everything down to consumer level pricing.

In the end you pay 300$ for much more than a simple 4 core CPU. The 8 core 5700G is 325$ on Amazon. The 5800X and the 11700K are both around 380$. The core 7700K launched with a retail price of 330-350$ (a list price of 305$).

Considering the 14nm issues Intel had, you would at most see 6 core CPUs for consumers by 2021 if AMD didn't release Ryzen. Intel would just delay things until 10nm was "ready".

You can thank AMD for bringing you cheap high core count CPUs. Competition helped you get several times the performance for the same price in just a few short years (almost 3x the MT performance at the 7700k price range).

Last edited:
The i7-12700K should deliver pretty much identical gaming performance and single thread performance is 25-33% faster than Ryzen 5000 series. (33% at 5.2 GHz and 25% at stock).
Assuming clock speeds are the same, it would behoove all of us, to investigate the "IPC" numbers.

All that packaging is going straight to the bin, what's the point?
Dude, isn't it obvious? In case it's not not, this should clear it up for you:

71gPovaYTuL._SL1125_.jpg

For those who don't know, "Every Good Boy Deserves Favor", is a mnemonic for the spaces on the G clef sheet music notation.

All that packaging is going straight to the bin, what's the point?
Completely agreed. Although the article doesn’t state what the materials used are. If it’s all cardboard and foil then it’s a lot better than using plastic.

Personally I wish journalists wouldn’t cover it. That way maybe these companies will stop wasting resources on packaging. But as it is they don’t even call it out. Those threadripper boxes are 99% plastic and 1% CPU. It was a farce.

I often wonder if il ever bump into a threadripper or an i9 retail box whilst underwater. Or if my great great grandkids will…

Your thinking is not correct. You have to compare with what came before.

Yes, the 5000 series saw a markup of about 50$ at launch which nobody was happy about. But you are not talking about the 5000 series, you are talking about the price in general of CPUs since Ryzen came out.

Ryzen brought a HUGE decrease in prices for high core counts. This is a known fact. Intel doesn't even make new workstation CPUs because AMD destroyed the high core count market (value and performance wise) and brought everything down to consumer level pricing.

In the end you pay 300$ for much more than a simple 4 core CPU. The 8 core 5700G is 325$ on Amazon. The 5800X and the 11700K are both around 380$. The core 7700K launched with a retail price of 330-350$ (a list price of 305$).

Considering the 14nm issues Intel had, you would at most see 6 core CPUs for consumers by 2021 if AMD didn't release Ryzen. Intel would just delay things until 10nm was "ready".

You can thank AMD for bringing you cheap high core count CPUs. Competition helped you get several times the performance for the same price in just a few short years (almost 3x the MT performance at the 7700k price range).
I am correct. Your thinking is incorrect. We pay much more for CPUs now than we did in 2017. There was a bigger than $50 price hike for the 5000 series. It was $50 more expensive than the 3000XT series, which in turn was more than $50 more expensive than the original prices of the 3000 series.

Both companies have two tiers, AMD has Ryzen and TR. both cost more than Intel charged for their tiers by more than double. Intels most expensive i9 HEDT came in at less than half the price of the 64 core 3990X.

We would have had 6 cores from Intel in 2019 at the latest had Ryzen not arrived. It’s incorrect and delisional to believe that AMD forced Intels hand and that we would not have more than 4 cores by now. Intels 6 and 8 core parts would have been in development most likely before FX released, which were of course quad core parts falsely advertised as 8 cores (tut tut AMD).

The fact is that AMD are driving prices higher than Intel ever did. Can you blame them, they spend 90% if the time with an inferior product to Intel and they want to capitalise on this short period that they will are ahead. The last time AMD were ahead of Intel was 16 years ago!

If you would like to know more DM me, I’d be more than happy to educate you further about this market.

Last edited:
Completely agreed. Although the article doesn’t state what the materials used are. If it’s all cardboard and foil then it’s a lot better than using plastic.
It's probably plasticized cardboard. That way, you can chop down trees, and screw up the environment with plastics simultaneously.

It's like, "killing two birds with one chainsaw". (y) (Y)

Back