Intel Core i9-13900KS Review: Hitting 6 GHz

I'm no fanboy, and generally I've owned far more Intel than AMD processors in the past. However, at that power consumption (and the consequent heat) Intel can go do one. That's obscene, it's like they've never heard of "diminishing returns" and have clearly forgotten the lessons of NetBurst.

What is the point of this CPU? Intel already has the top spot with the 13900K in both gaming and productivity, they don't have to one-up AMD. It's just worse all around. 70 is way too generous.

I'm going to give one of my "Keynote Award Presentation Speech" posts for this one:
(Just imagine me being on a keynote stage saying this... heheheheh)

Ladies and gentlemen, almost exactly 9½ years ago, AMD released a CPU that was well-known as a fire-breathing monster.

It was clear even then that Intel was insanely jealous of it because for years Intel has stubbornly tried to replicate AMD's amazing feat.

Intel put in tremendous effort with a "never-say-die" doggedness, flatly refusing to give up but until today has sadly always fallen short.

If nothing else, Intel has proven to all of us that if you never give up on your dream, all the effort you put in will one day pay off in the biggest way!

Intel should be proud to have finally created a CPU that is every bit as cynical, wasteful, hot, overpriced and underperforming as the AMD FX-9590!

Congratulations to Intel on finally qualifying for that list! I can just imagine how proud you are and it's about time!

We have the FX-9590 on hand to welcome his brother-in-spirit, the i9-13900KS to this exclusive club.

PLEASE GIVE THEM BOTH A BIG ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR THEIR RESPECTIVE ACHIEVEMENTS!!! :D

Last edited:
Sacrificing cooling and power to hit some arbitrary number. Congrats I guess.

Mean while AMD's new non X 7000 series is pretty incredible in cooling/power per performance.

First, this is the old Steve that I like and admire, welcome back!

Second, I am glad that Intel released this, because it tells us how little they think of their customers, how bad their current offerings are and last, it shows that some people blind loyalty to dirty corporations like Intel and nvidia are the downfall of this industry.

AMD is not a saint, but next to those two it surely looks like one :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no fanboy, and generally I've owned far more Intel than AMD processors in the past. However, at that power consumption (and the consequent heat) Intel can go do one. That's obscene, it's like they've never heard of "diminishing returns" and have clearly forgotten the lessons of NetBurst.
They do. But they must win the single core performance crown at any cost, and have been doing so for many years, starting mostly from Comet Lake till now. And it is clear that they have a decent advantage due to the high clockspeed.
In any case, this chip is clearly not for 99.9% of the retail customers. Not only will it require some very high end cooling solution to keep the temps reasonable, I guess only those with deep pockets, and/or, hardcore overclocking enthusiast will buy it. The increase in clockspeed is mostly meaningful only to show a higher benchmark performance, and less of day to day usage.

They do. But they must win the single core performance crown at any cost, and have been doing so for many years, starting mostly from Comet Lake till now. And it is clear that they have a decent advantage due to the high clockspeed.
In any case, this chip is clearly not for 99.9% of the retail customers. Not only will it require some very high end cooling solution to keep the temps reasonable, I guess only those with deep pockets, and/or, hardcore overclocking enthusiast will buy it. The increase in clockspeed is mostly meaningful only to show a higher benchmark performance, and less of day to day usage.
At this point, it really doesn't matter who is the "single-thread king" because the real-world differences between them are insignificant. It's not like the people who bought AMD when Intel had the crown were dissatisfied nor were the people who bought Intel when AMD had the crown.

For most people, the performance deltas between Intel and AMD in both single and multi-thread are imperceptible. For them, the only situation where it makes a difference is when they're looking at a performance chart on a tech review site. The days where one CPU feels noticeably slower than its direct rival ended with the release of Ryzen. Before that, you'd have to compare Vishera to Broadwell for the difference to be even slightly palpable and before that, AMD's Phenom II had achieved parity with Intel's Core2Quad.

These days, the differences are so slight that the graphs have to be exaggerated to make it look meaningful with the exception of the all-core performance-over-time graphs (which are completely irrelevant to most people). The real difference between CPUs these days for most people is cost with some also caring about heat and power draw. The x86 architectures used by AMD and Intel are so refined at this point that most people could use either-or and not give it a second thought.

As usual, Intel has absolutely maxed out it's top tier. Personally, I can't stand running a CPU anywhere near even 90°C even under load. Just too much power and heat for me. While Intel can beat out AMD in many benchmarks, I still think it's AMD FTW on the high-end CPUs.

Somehow, I don't think that this will make ANY difference one way or the other when it comes to how people react to Zen4 X3D. The reason that this CPU reminds me of the FX-9590 is because the situation is the same. When AMD released the FX-9590, they had nothing and were just grasping at straws. The same is true today except that now it's Intel's turn and they did exactly the same thing with the release of the i9-13900KS.

What is the point of this CPU? Intel already has the top spot with the 13900K in both gaming and productivity, they don't have to one-up AMD. It's just worse all around. 70 is way too generous.

The point of the CPU is MARKETING...!

iNTEL knows that the LGA1700 platform is dead and that they will not have their new socket LGA1851 ready until July... they know every single iNTEL CPU & motherboard sold is EOL and need to use marketing to get d0mb people to hurry up and buy...

Because LGA17 can not compete with AM5.....

A quick question. Why do I get the feeling that this review is the same as this one?
See any familiar faces?

The point of the CPU is MARKETING...!

iNTEL knows that the LGA1700 platform is dead and that they will not have their new socket LGA1851 ready until July... they know every single iNTEL CPU & motherboard sold is EOL and need to use marketing to get d0mb people to hurry up and buy...

Because LGA17 can not compete with AM5.....
Well, that's some sick marketing. It's the same CPU but worse.

All you need to do is de-lid the CPU use EKs Limited Edition Direct-Die Water Block and a 3 fan radiator and this will run just fine, I don't know what you lot are moaning about. BTW I am being sarcastic, this CPU is a joke.

Damn, this gen cpus are hot. I mean all of them. I dont want them to push this trend further.
I only have rtx3070 and 13700k in a new pc, and the amount of heat they produce in a very cool room is much more than anything I had before. 13900ks should come with a warning saying that it is not intended for use in homes without air conditioning.

Meanwhile, the 7700x is near the top of the gaming charts. It even beats the 13900ks in some titles.

I'm going to give one of my "Keynote Award Presentation Speech" posts for this one:
(Just imagine me being on a keynote stage saying this... heheheheh)

Ladies and gentlemen, almost exactly 9½ years ago, AMD released a CPU that was well-known as a fire-breathing monster.

It was clear even then that Intel was insanely jealous of it because for years Intel has stubbornly tried to replicate AMD's amazing feat.

Intel put in tremendous effort with a "never-say-die" doggedness, flatly refusing to give up but until today has sadly always fallen short.

If nothing else, Intel has proven to all of us that if you never give up on your dream, all the effort you put in will one day pay off in the biggest way!

Intel should be proud to have finally created a CPU that is every bit as cynical, wasteful, hot, overpriced and underperforming as the AMD FX-9590!

Congratulations to Intel on finally qualifying for that list! I can just imagine how proud you are and it's about time!

We have the FX-9590 on hand to welcome his brother-in-spirit, the i9-13900KS to this exclusive club.

PLEASE GIVE THEM BOTH A BIG ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR THEIR RESPECTIVE ACHIEVEMENTS!!! :D

"It's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off."

Back