Intel prepping 1.46GHz ultra-low voltage Core i7-680UM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Recent leaks suggest that along with updating its ultra-low voltage mobile processors in the third quarter, Intel will add at least one more ultrathin notebook chip in the fourth quarter. The company recently delayed its CULV refresh, in part because of Acer's decision to reject the power-sipping chips in favor of Calpella-series processors for its TimelineX laptops.

The 1.33GHz Core i7-660UM is due this fall, and shortly after, Intel is expected to launch a speedier version. The Core i7-680UM reportedly has two cores with a base clock frequency of 1.46GHz and a peak Turbo Boost of 2.53GHz, integrated graphics clocked at 166MHz but capable of overclocking to 500MHz, 4MB of cache, and an 18W TDP.

Fudzilla notes that the Core i7-620UM and 640UM have been available to manufacturers since the first quarter, but they've only surfaced in a handful of systems.

Permalink to story.

They really need to find a way to make chips go faster in general. My p4 was stock at 3.4. I know the architecture is more important but still. 1.4GHz!

thatguyandrew92 said:
They really need to find a way to make chips go faster in general. My p4 was stock at 3.4. I know the architecture is more important but still. 1.4GHz!

GHZ isn't everything. Look at a 5GHZ pentium 4 against a 3GHZ Core i7.

thatguyandrew92 said:

Wow, seriously? that 1.4ghz will burn toast over the 3.4 ghz p4. If you havnt looked around there are several cpu's in the 3.2-3.4 ghz range today. And dont spout nonsense about the cost either, because 5 years ago a pentium D EE would cost 5-600 dollars for some versions that ran at 3.4Ghz+

its called a LOW VOLTAGE processor. This processor can be turbo boosted to 2.5 GHz, is hyper threaded with 4 virtual cores, and combines integrated graphics, all into an 18w TDP! 1.4 GHz is fast enough for most everyday tasks that a portable laptop will have to take anyways. Stop comparing it to $500 desktop processors with TDP's of 100 W for the processor alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back