Intel's Gen11 integrated graphics promise a 2x performance boost

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Intel's integrated graphics have historically lagged behind the competition (AMD) but with Gen11, Chipzilla could gain some serious ground. It's not going to make a difference for hardcore gamers who want the absolute best experience but for casual gamers, it'll likely be more than sufficient.

Intel at its 2018 Architecture Day announced a number of exciting next-gen technologies including its Gen11 integrated graphics.

Skipping right over Gen10, Intel’s next integrated graphics solution promises to break the 1 TFLOPS barrier thanks in part to the inclusion of 64 enhanced execution units (more than twice as many as the 24 EUs that Gen9 graphics featured).

Intel said the new integrated graphics architecture is expected to double the performance of Gen9 graphics on a per-clock basis, resulting in much improved gameplay capabilities. Support for Intel Adaptive Sync technology is another boon.

Ars Technica was on hand for the event, witnessing a demonstration of Tekken running at medium graphics at 1080p. The publication described it as “playable” on Gen11 graphics but a “slow jerky mess on Gen9.”

New media encoders and decoders, meanwhile, will support 4K video streams and 8K content creation.

Intel’s new Gen11 graphics will appear on 10nm-based processors starting in 2019.

Chipzilla also reaffirmed its plans to introduce a discrete graphics processor by 2020 (apparently named “Xe” and pronounced ecks ee) although unfortunately, no further details were shared on the subject.

Permalink to story.

Good for Intel but they still have to compete against AMD iGPU products. AMD's lowest end offering in the 2200G is already about 2x Intel's offers not counting whatever Navi and the Ryzen 3000 series will bring.

Due to the threat posed by Ryzen processors with integrated Vega graphics. They have certainly shifted the idea of what a mid range laptop is. With something like the Ryzen 2500U you can expect nice CPU performance, but also pretty decent basic gaming performance as well.

Intel licensing Vega graphics this year showed they understood there was demand for improvements in this area, and AMD were filling it. This is very good news after the market being stagnant for so long. Intel's mid range graphics performance has barely increased for three generations, since Skylake.

Competition is good.

Comparing 64 EUs to 24 is disingenuous as the Iris Plus G3e level iGPUs in the NUCs and MacBooks have included 48EUs since 2015. That's only a 33% core increase but if they've reworked them for higher performance, hey that would be great. Those current 48EU iGPUs also have 128MB eDRAM (64MB in Broadwell thru Kaby Lake) which increase FPS by 35-50% over no eDRAM, but no 24EU iGPUs have any eDRAM.

I assume that this means the high end iGPUs (+ 33% core count plus eDRAM) will now be included in all CPUs which previously only had the midrange iGPU. These CPU+iGPUs will be:

larger thanks to more transistors (offset by the 10nm process somewhat)
probably more expensive thanks to above
overkill for office workers
underkill for gamers, though on a ~25W ultrabook it could be competitive

But this is Intel. I bet this better iGPU will still only go into the highest end laptop class chips as before, which means NUC, MacBook Pro, and maybe 3 other laptops on the planet.

Comparing 64 EUs to 24 is disingenuous as the Iris Plus G3e level iGPUs in the NUCs and MacBooks have included 48EUs since 2015. That's only a 33% core increase but if they've reworked them for higher performance, hey that would be great. Those current 48EU iGPUs also have 128MB eDRAM (64MB in Broadwell thru Kaby Lake) which increase FPS by 35-50% over no eDRAM, but no 24EU iGPUs have any eDRAM.

I assume that this means the high end iGPUs (+ 33% core count plus eDRAM) will now be included in all CPUs which previously only had the midrange iGPU. These CPU+iGPUs will be:

larger thanks to more transistors (offset by the 10nm process somewhat)
probably more expensive thanks to above
overkill for office workers
underkill for gamers, though on a ~25W ultrabook it could be competitive

But this is Intel. I bet this better iGPU will still only go into the highest end laptop class chips as before, which means NUC, MacBook Pro, and maybe 3 other laptops on the planet.
Most of the Iris chips don't have the eDRAM, only top spec full wattage parts usually have it.

The 64 eus made me go hold on but I bet this is just like 2014 when they showed off there new improvments, but we're really showing Iris cores. Even if the base core I chips get a bump to 32 eus and say 20-40% greater performance per EU that's still a good bump in performance over uhd 620/630 parts.

Most of the Iris chips don't have the eDRAM, only top spec full wattage parts usually have it.

The 64 eus made me go hold on but I bet this is just like 2014 when they showed off there new improvments, but we're really showing Iris cores. Even if the base core I chips get a bump to 32 eus and say 20-40% greater performance per EU that's still a good bump in performance over uhd 620/630 parts.

Yes, that is my expectation:

The former 48 EU Iris Plus parts get 64 EUs and hopefully keep their eDRAM.
The former 24 EU UHD parts get 32 EUs and almost certainly stay with no eDRAM.

But comparing 2 different level parts (24 and 64 EUs) for that demo is misleading.

This increase in EUs last happened in the Haswell (20 and 40 EUs) to Broadwell (24 and 48 EUs) 4th to 5th Gen update.

Good for Intel but they still have to compete against AMD iGPU products. AMD's lowest end offering in the 2200G is already about 2x Intel's offers not counting whatever Navi and the Ryzen 3000 series will bring.

Intel has Raja along with others that fled team Red to join team Blue. Who else does AMD have left that isn't going to pair another good iGPU with another basic CPU? Because if the CPU is crap, no one is going to buy it over what Intel will offer.

Intel has Raja along with others that fled team Red to join team Blue. Who else does AMD have left that isn't going to pair another good iGPU with another basic CPU? Because if the CPU is crap, no one is going to buy it over what Intel will offer.

Yeah, the same guy who delivered Vega. Grats to Intel on that one.

I don't need to debate whether or not AMD CPUs are "crap" as you say when that's already been objectively proven incorrect by every major tech outlet. At the budget range APUs are in, Intel does not have a performance advantage. You seem to forget that the APU is going to bottleneck far before the CPU comes close to being an issue. Not that in matters in either case as Ryzen is close enough to Intel in IPC anyways that it's only really useful to go Intel in fringe cases. Heck, at it's current pricing Intel doesn't even have any products that compete with the 2200g and 2400g until late 2019 and by then the 3000 series will be out including Navi.

?

tl;dr, for APU gaming:
100% faster iGPU >>> 10% faster CPU

AMD APUs are better than Intel's. As Evernessince said, that's down to the iGPU being way better. The CPU side of Intel's APUs might be a bit better for IPC&MHz (~10%) but that's a very minor component of gaming when AMD's iGPU side is twice as fast.

Both what AMD and Intel is doing is good for laptops. For basic users, it won't matter except for price. I use AMD, because they're less expensive and I already have a performance reference point without needing much in reviews to make a decision. Right now, I'm on satellite internet and that's my biggest bottleneck.

?

tl;dr, for APU gaming:
100% faster iGPU >>> 10% faster CPU

AMD APUs are better than Intel's. The CPU side of Intel's APUs might be a bit better for IPC&MHz (~10%) but that's a very minor component of gaming when AMD's iGPU side is twice as fast.

If you've seen a Ryzen gaming review @ 1080p you'd know the CPU matters - a LOT.

PS, Intel IGP, not APU, was top GPU on Steam for years before GTX 970 then GTX 1060 took that spot. Now - show me where AMD places on that list with any of their APU's. I'll wait...

If you've seen a Ryzen gaming review @ 1080p you'd know the CPU matters - a LOT.

PS, Intel IGP, not APU, was top GPU on Steam for years before GTX 970 then GTX 1060 took that spot.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8520/amd-ryzen-3-2200g-5-2400g-review/index7.html

See that 2200G getting over 2x the performance at 720 and 1080p? Like I said, at this performance level the iGPU is going to be the bottleneck nearly every time.

CPU + iGPU = APU.

"An Accelerated Processing Unit (APU) combines the CPU and GPU onto a single chip"

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/what-...en-an-apu-a-cpu-and-a-gpu-makeuseof-explains/

Now - show me where AMD places on that list with any of their APU's. I'll wait...

Now explain to me how this is relevant to the conversation. I'll wait...

Back