Interview with Malwarebytes' founder, Marcin Kleczynski

Jos

Staff
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/article/581-malwarebytes-marcin-kleczynski-interview/]https://www.techspot.com/article/581-malwarebytes-marcin-kleczynski-interview/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Great interview. I've used Malwarebytes for years and even remember RogueRemover - had no idea that was from "the Malwarebyte" guy. Nice to see someone who put helping the technology community first, money second.

He just did a AMA on Reddit. Lots of great questions and answers from the man himself.

Interesting read where the question:

"A couple of years ago we heard about an unfortunate incident with another security vendor which took your malware database and used it as their own..."

---> it was IObit, right? :D

Malwarebytes is a great piece of kit, a must have in my opinion.

I always use it together with my Anti-Virus and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Good to see the founder answering questions. I really respect people like that and who put consumers first and money after. I only have been using Eset and that works fine for me. I never been infected in quite a long time, but that's mostly due to the fact I block ads and don't download anything unofficial.

"Interesting read where the question:
"A couple of years ago we heard about an unfortunate incident with another security vendor which took your malware database and used it as their own..."
---> it was IObit, right?
prekesh-grin.png
"

Indeed. The undeniable and damaging evidence provided by Malwarebytes in their investigation and the shady practices of IObit with hosting a pron site under its domain and including toolbar spyware from known spyware company Conduit with its installer at one point just adds to the long list of reasons to stay away from such a sketchy "company".

We rock Malwarebytes at work and Symantec endpoint. I personally would just use Malwarebytes but we need Symantec because of the name. Everyone knows Symantec. The auditors love it. I personally hate it and love Malwarebytes because I know it works :)

Nice interview. Malwarebytes has been a solid program for years. It's really nice to see that there are people whose primary concern is for others and that they can still make a living doing this. If only large corporations would look at this model. Thanks Marcin.

"When it comes to overall malware protection, Internet Explorer led the way as well, with a 94 percent block rate. This compares with 27.6 percent for Google Chrome, 5 percent for Firefox and 4.7 percent for Safari." -NSS Labs-

So, IE users no need extra safety (y)I Think Opera is too more protection, than others!?

"As I said earlier, we want to complement anti-virus software, not replace it. We overlap in some areas and we do have a great detection rate, but we never position ourselves as a do it all security software."

Then they need to start actually making this clear on their site, in their installer, etc. Currently there's no indication that Malwarebytes is an "extra" layer like Superantispyware or other such tools. Frankly, they need to just make a full-blown A/V suite IMO..they already catch a lot of trojans and other virii.

Great interview.

Been using the paid for version for a while now, and the free version for ages before that.

Also, when one of the myriad of clueless people who shouldn't be allowed to use computers come to me because they clicked a link in some email, or installed some "super-duper program" that some "friend" told them about or whatever, and want me to clean it up, it's always Anti-Malware first. Even with one of those fake antivirus apps, where I've had to use the 8:3 format in a command prompt to start it (Remember this: "C:pROGRA~1"...lol).

Always first, always successful. Very difficult to convince them to fork out for it to get real-time protection, or get into a routine of running scans in the free version.

One negative comment about the article though: Microsoft do actually do a hell of a lot to combat malware. Windows Defender and Security Essentials in Windows (as stated in the article), going after and bringing down botnets, all the research they do...
It is not their fault that all these crappy apps that open floodgates for malware happen to be installed in Windows.

Absolutely adore Mbam, though!

Thanks for the heads up on iobit! That incident must've flew past my radar, and learning extra little bits of info like that is why I read comments sections.

Malwarebytes is a great piece of software, and wonderful because it's free. But I've found only SuperAntiSpyware gets rid of the most virulent PC infections.

@psycros

"Then they need to start actually making this clear on their site, in their installer, etc. Currently there's no indication that Malwarebytes is an "extra" layer like Superantispyware or other such tools."

They already said that on their site like "improve your protection without changing your av" or "your antivirus alone is not enough". Seems it was you who don't read carefully, plus Malwarebytes call their product as 'antimalware' not 'antivirus'

Yeah, I think most experienced users know it's an extra tool to use for malware infections, not a replacement for antivirus and other security suites. Other users are usually unaware of its (and others) existence until problems occur and they need to phone a friend.

Every story has 2 sides !
Just do not believe 1 side.

IObit never stole from the Malwarebytes, do not believe the rumours.
This was a trap from Malwarebytes to destroy IObit.
IObit is not broke, it grows only bigger & bigger.

Malwarebytes is a good product.
But do not try to step on others company to reach the top !

IObit has reach the top on his own.
IObit makes great software and make trusted software !

Back