Irregular Boot Issues with ASUS P4S800-MX Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

rross48

I have an ASUS P4S800-MX Motherboard. It was working fine, but i didnt turn it on in a while. When i did it booted fine but the next time i tried to boot it, only the fans would work. It didnt beep and it wont even turn off or reset. Please help.

First of all, try a different power supply if you have one.

If you don't have a spare you can test your current power supply by unplugging it from everything, then shorting the green wire to any of the blacks with a spare bit of wire.

If it fires up as normal, then try reconnecting just the motherboard, if there's no improvement, check the seating of your graphics card, ram, processor, and any other cards you may have.

If this doesn't help, let me know and i can suggest a few more things to try.

That is what everyone else has told me 2 do so it is good advice but ive tried shorting it, 3 different power supplies, i have also pulled out all graphics cards and memory. But still nothing. I am told that is you remove the memory the PC makes a long BEEP sound to indicate the there is no memory, if it does this there is no problemn with Motherboard or CPU, but there is no beep meaning that either my CPU is fried or my motherboard is gone. But i dont wanna get a new CPU and it is actually the motherboard. Thanx for the reply but have any ideas?

Remove and reseat the processor if you havent already tried that.

Check the mobo carefully for any damaged components, especially look at all the capacitors to see if any are domed on top.

Let me know the result, there are a few more things to check.

If reseting the processor means to just remove it and put it back in then i have also tried that. otherwise how do you reset the processor????

You have done exactly what i meant.

The next thing you should try is a bit of a time consuming pain, but it will tell you for sure if its a hardware fault. Completely remove your mobo and psu from the case, place the mobo on the antistatic bag it came in if you still have it and have just the processor, ram, graphics card, psu , and monitor plugged in. Then carefully short the power button pins with a screw driver. This will show if you have a short to the metalwork of the case if it powers up ok.

Its a real pain doing this and you MUST be very careful of static discharge, but its the method i use to determine whats wrong.

thanx 4 all your help but i got bored and bought a new $79 ASUS motherboard, and a $99 2.80GHZ CPU. I reformatted it and it worx fine. but thanx for your help. maybe talk 2 you l8er in another forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back