Kaser Storage Vault Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

larry2006

I accidently plugged my external Kaser Storage Vault the wrong way in the outlet. I realized the mistake and replugged it in correctly. It then gives me a message that the "USB device not recognized". When I double clicked on the unknown device it said the driver not installed. I tried to reinstall the driver but to no avail. I have a lot of info stored in the strorage vault and I hate to lose them all. Please advise what should I do. Thank you for your assiatnce.

Ok larry2006,

"I accidently plugged my external Kaser Storage Vault the wrong way in the outlet"...

What outlet? AC wall plug? USB connections? It's highly possible that you damaged the AC to DC converter in the Kaser enclosure. you could buy any other external enclosure and install the hard drive in it, and access the data. I doubt that you have damaged the hard drive

Thanks Tmagic650 for getting back to me so soon. It was the AC wall plug. I can still hear that the drive working. I am going to get a new enclosure to see if it works. I hope I did not damage the hard drive.

Tmagic650,
Thank you so much for your advise. I bought a new enclosure and now I am able to use my drive again. Many thanks again.

Storage vault Kaser problem

I recently found a problem with my storage vault Kaser of 160G, when I start my computer I put on my Kaser but it just do a noise like tic-tac and I can’t read my storage kaser, could you advice me some one.

Your drive shows classical signs for having died! :( Tic tac tic tac tic tac is all you'll get from your drive from now on. :(

Cinders said:
Your drive shows classical signs for having died! :( Tic tac tic tac tic tac is all you'll get from your drive from now on. :(

is there anyway to fix a dead Harddisk then?? coz i have very important pictures and videos in there...please HELP!!!!

There may be ways to try and get some data off the drive (freezer or tapping), but you will have to take the system or the drive to someone more skilled at doing this...

We have all lost important data and learned tough lessons by NOT backing up important information. Maybe you will take steps to learn good backup skiils after all this.

Good Luck

Do a Google search for data recovery software or data recovery service. Data recovery software doesn't usually come in trial versions because once you recover the files who would pay for the program? The software is usually cheaper than the recovery service. Data recovery service can be expensive, but they are your best bet to recover really important lost files.

Tmagic650 said:
There may be ways to try and get some data off the drive (freezer or tapping), but you will have to take the system or the drive to someone more skilled at doing this...

We have all lost important data and learned tough lessons by NOT backing up important information. Maybe you will take steps to learn good backup skiils after all this.

Good Luck

by freezer or tapping....do u mean actually putting the hard drive into the freezer?? and tapping it???

i know it seems stupid to ask that...but i'm willing to do anything here!!!

Yes leecljohn,
put the hard drive in a plastic freezer bag and seal it. Place it in your freezer for 24 hours. Remove it from the freezer and the bag. Connect it to the computer and try to access it. You have to work fast. If it still can't be accessed, tap the drive on it's edge a few times on a hard surface. Try to access it once more. If this fails, there is nothing more to do but replace the drive.

Please don't do this if you plan to attempt to recover the data in a more conventional way. This is a "LAST RESORT" option. The drive can be destroyed by doing this!

Tmagic650 said:
Yes leecljohn,
put the hard drive in a plastic freezer bag and seal it. Place it in your freezer for 24 hours. Remove it from the freezer and the bag. Connect it to the computer and try to access it. You have to work fast. If it still can't be accessed, tap the drive on it's edge a few times on a hard surface. Try to access it once more. If this fails, there is nothing more to do but replace the drive.

Please don't do this if you plan to attempt to recover the data in a more conventional way. This is a "LAST RESORT" option. The drive can be destroyed by doing this!

thanz for the tips....i'll probably get a price quote from local computer stores first to see how much to restore the info on a hard drive first.....o btw... what IS a reasonable price range for restoration service??? anyone have any ideas???

larry2006 said:
Tmagic650,
Thank you so much for your advise. I bought a new enclosure and now I am able to use my drive again. Many thanks again.

how were you able to remove the drive from the enclosure?
i have a Kaser 500gb Storage Vault.

and it has 2 screws that i cannot remove, i do not have the tool, nor do i know what tool to use to remove the screws.

EDIT: i have removed one screw with a flat head screw driver, the other screw is too tight to remove in the same way.

Take the enclosure to a machine shop. They might have the proper tool to remove the screw properly. If you really want to attempt to remove the screw yourself, get a pencil tipped soldering iron and heat the screw. Try using the flat head screwdriver while the screw is hot

Need Help with Kaser Storage Vault!

I hope someone can help me with this...
My Kaser Storage Vault doesn't seem to be responding properly with either of my computers.
The odd thing is that the Vault is on, plugged in, and makes loading sounds... and the computer even recognizes it being plugged in... but it's not showing up on my desktop, so therefore I can't open it.
I really need to figure this out; there are a lot of very important files I need to access.

If someone has any idea on what to do, please notify me as soon as possible!
Much appreciated, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back