LG releases the world's first 4K IPS gaming monitor with 1ms GTG response time

Humza

Staff member
Why it matters: With next-gen Nvidia GPUs right around the corner, we're likely going to see more demanding games push through 4K@144Hz. For those looking forward to that experience, LG's latest 27-inch UltraGear gaming monitor should be of interest as it's the world's first display to combine a 4K IPS panel with 1ms GTG speeds while packing plenty of gamer-centric features to make it a tempting investment for next-gen PC builders.

LG recently announced the availability of its new UltraGear (27GN950) gaming monitor, the successor to the highly-praised 27GL850. Featuring a similar design and 16:9 aspect ratio, the new model bumps the resolution from QHD to 4K, boasts the same 1ms GTG response time, and 144Hz refresh rate.

Although gaming at 1440p 144hz tends to strike the perfect performance/quality balance for most users on current-gen GPUs, upcoming hardware from Nvidia and AMD could potentially bump that combo, making this monitor a likely futureproof purchase, that is if you're not into high-end curved ultrawides.

The 4K UltraGear features G-Sync and FreeSync Premium Pro support and is VESA DisplayHDR 600 compliant. Like its predecessor, LG is also targeting creatives with this model who will now be able to benefit from its higher resolution and brightness, True Color Pro H/W Calibration, 10-bit color depth, and 98 percent coverage of the DCI-P3 color gamut.

In terms of connectivity, this monitor sports 1 x DisplayPort, 2 x HDMI, 1 x USB upstream, 2 x USB downstream, and a headphone jack. It's also the first model to bear LG's new "wings" emblem on the back, meant to denote victory during those competitive gaming sessions, while the large LED ring adds extra immersion by syncing color with whatever's happening on the screen.

LG didn't officially reveal the monitor's pricing but did announce availability in North America, Europe, Asia, and other regions through local retailers. Reports indicate it'll start at $800 in the US, while UK retailer Currys has it listed "coming soon" for £749.

Permalink to story.

Time will tell if this turns out to be yet another LG monitor that is practically impossible to buy for months & months after its supposed release date.

Which will probably be the case as I would like this monitor :)

Getting hold of the 27GL850 after launch was like striking gold...only now, nearly a year later is supply relatively plentiful.

This could be the one to replace my OG LG IPS I got. Been wanting a HDR600 4K Monitor for awhile..

This could be the one to replace my OG LG IPS I got. Been wanting a HDR600 4K Monitor for awhile..

I currently have the LG850UK 4K monitor which is HDR600. The only problem with that is Windows 10 HDR support is completely broken, which makes it unusable on the desktop. Gaming is OK though.

I've been looking for a flat IPS 30-32-inch+ 144Hz screen for ages that is not ultrawide or curved, now LG again decided to go with a 27-inch. Why? 4K is good naturally for 42-inch+, otherwise one needs scaling and I wouldn't settle for 27 or less or a VA-panel. Gaming is gaming but many people also use the monitor for browsing, watching videos, various Windows programs, rendering etc.

Why in the world are there no flat 120Hz+ IPS panels over 27-inch?

I've been looking for a flat IPS 30-32-inch+ 144Hz screen for ages that is not ultrawide or curved, now LG again decided to go with a 27-inch. Why? 4K is good naturally for 42-inch+, otherwise one needs scaling and I wouldn't settle for 27 or less or a VA-panel. Gaming is gaming but many people also use the monitor for browsing, watching videos, various Windows programs, rendering etc.

Why in the world are there no flat 120Hz+ IPS panels over 27-inch?
They’re coming.... this is the first 4K 144hz 1ms.... naturally it’s small.... I use a Dell 32” at “only” 60hz...

While I don’t game enough to care, I’m sure the gaming crowd will demand - and receive - what you’re asking for within a year or so.

1 ms
a lie.
Not so much a lie, more a case of marketing exaggeration - 1ms is possible but only when seriously overdriven (which typically leads to lots of ghosting).

It's the same thing as a graphics card manufacturer claiming 450 GB/s of bandwidth or 50 Gpixels/s of fill rate, for example: it's an absolutely best case figure, but not one that's achievable in real situations.

The G2G value will still be pretty low though, as LG's IPS panels are quite good.

Sounds nice, but high end PC gaming sure is expensive if you add everything together.

Assuming the next gen GPU that is needed to take advantage of the monitor is around $1200, GPU plus monitor alone set you back 2k+.

Sounds nice, but high end PC gaming sure is expensive if you add everything together.

Assuming the next gen GPU that is needed to take advantage of the monitor is around $1200, GPU plus monitor alone set you back 2k+.
That’s always been the case.... that’s why it’s called high end...

yes but the monitor you'll keep for 5-10 years. So it's a pretty decent investment. I just updated my 10-year-old Dell Ultrasharp 27" monitor from 2010 to an Alienware 32DW in 2020...I'm gonna be keeping the Alienware for a similar timeframe! It's a phenomenal monitor!

yes but the monitor you'll keep for 5-10 years. So it's a pretty decent investment. I just updated my 10-year-old Dell Ultrasharp 27" monitor from 2010 to an Alienware 32DW in 2020...I'm gonna be keeping the Alienware for a similar timeframe! It's a phenomenal monitor!
Definitely agree that good monitors are also a good investment, however the total cost is something to keep in mind when comparing the two options.

Gaming 4K at 144 FPS ... hopefully.
I’m not so sure. 1440 at 144 FPS for sure, but about 4K I’m not so optimistic. Today we are struggling to stay above 60 FPS. More than double in just a generation ?

Anyone know how this compares to my 3840x1600? I know apples and oranges but in terms of picture quality at least.

For a little more, you could just get the OLED B9, burn in issues aren't as major as they used to be.

Anyone know how this compares to my 3840x1600? I know apples and oranges but in terms of picture quality at least.

For a little more, you could just get the OLED B9, burn in issues aren't as major as they used to be.
I would never buy an oled display. I just hate the technology and its drawbacks. It’s not just burn in...

I would never buy an oled display. I just hate the technology and its drawbacks. It’s not just burn in...

Oh really? What might those be? Curious to know. Only thing I was aware of was the potential burn in. However you have higher refresh rates, better black/white levels for contrast and displaying HDR and richer colours capability, great for nature channels. The C9/B9 panels even have 12Bit support which is insane!

Oh really? What might those be? Curious to know. Only thing I was aware of was the potential burn in. However you have higher refresh rates, better black/white levels for contrast and displaying HDR and richer colours capability, great for nature channels. The C9/B9 panels even have 12Bit support which is insane!
They are stunning when new, indeed. But I don’t like the technology. Due to its organic nature, an old panel start degrading the moment you buy it. Burn in is just one of the issues (greatly improved over the time). I really hope micro led will replace oled in the next few years

They are stunning when new, indeed. But I don’t like the technology. Due to its organic nature, an old panel start degrading the moment you buy it. Burn in is just one of the issues (greatly improved over the time). I really hope micro led will replace oled in the next few years

Fair enough, will have to keep an eye out on mine. Seems fine so far but it only has been 7-8 months of use.

Fair enough, will have to keep an eye out on mine. Seems fine so far but it only has been 7-8 months of use.
Using it every day, you will hardly notice anything...
I can see it on smartphones and on my father’s 4 years old LG TV.
But don’t worry, it is mostly my nature. For many people OLED is just ok because of deep blacks and contrast.
Hopefully microLED will have best of both worlds.

Back