LG showcases monstrous 77-inch flexible (and transparent) OLED screen

Shawn Knight

Staff member

LG Display on Thursday showcased what it says is the world’s first and largest flexible and transparent OLED display. The monstrous 77-inch screen features an Ultra HD resolution of 3,820 x 2,160 with 40 percent transparency and a radius of 80mm.

That means the screen can be rolled up in the shape of a cylinder or tube without impacting its functionality – a benefit both for potential uses and shipping purposes.

Flexible display technology has advanced by leaps and bounds in recent years but as I’ve touched on previously, there still isn’t really a practical application for them – at least, as it pertains to consumer electronics.

LG would be out of its mind to try and target the average consumer with a 77-inch flexible OLED panel. Instead, the company will likely use the screen for digital signage, smart desk and augmented reality purposes – like at a museum or aquarium, for example. It’s unclear how much LG will sell the display for but I can’t imagine it’ll be even remotely in the realm of what most of us consider “affordable.”

The 77-inch screen is the result of many years of work in the flexible OLED space. In 2014, LG Display developed an 18-inch flexible OLED panel with a 30mm radius as well as a transparent 18-incher. Two years later, the company showed off a 55-inch transparent OLED panel with 40 percent transparency.

Permalink to story.

77 inches??? Damn man, that's one big TV screen. Impressive too. Things are getting ridiculous now, it's almost as big as some phablets.

I think it would be a cool idea to get one of these things, make it touch enabled and stick it to a wall. Would be great as a whiteboard, and that way your sketches and notes are already digital.

Back