Looking for help with potential virus... logs attached as suggested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

To provide a little background, I believe I may have a virus or malware on my system but my virus software was not able to find it. I use Norton 360 (just recently upgraded) and I was having some issues getting the backup utility to work correctly. I went online with a live chat tech agent and when they connected to my system the informed me that I have a virus called "desktop.ini" that is causing my computer to replicate the "desktop.ini" file in many of my folders. I did a quick search and there are over 200 copies of this file on my system. They offered to remove it from my system and get me back up and running for $99. I was a little put off by the fact the software I purchased could not find or protect me from this issue but thier tech guy found it in a few seconds (while not even looking for it). I was trying to decide what to do and looking up info on the net as to the virus I may have and to be honest I became confused. I spoke to a more tech savvy friend and he suggested I come here. I looked at the sticky thread and I have executed the steps as suggested and I am attaching the logs requested to this thread.

Also, it was recommended to me to run the free scan on RegCure and when I did I indicated I have over 1800 errors. I did not attempt to buy RegCure and fix this as I have seen mixed perspectives from a number of people more knowledgable than myself so I decided to wait to get a clear point of view from someone here.

I am hoping one of the experts on this forum can give me some help with repsect to what I should do next given the logs and info I have posted. I would really appreciate the insights...

Thanks in advance. Bodhi.

Sorry. I should also mention that when I ran Panda Anti-Rootkit, there were no issues found. Thanks. Bodhi.

Norton = Rip off Merchants.

Your AVG log shows no action taken.

As to the registry problems, Ccleaner will fix them for you.

I dont notice anything really bad in your Hijackthis but im not really an expert on them, a few you can clean up though,

O2 - BHO: NCO 2.0 IE BHO - {602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} - (no file)

Personally unless you are determined to stick it through with Norton I would give it up and use a free antivirus and free firewall.

Thanks and 2 more quick questions...

Thanks very much for the feedback. I have taken action on the spyware.

Is there anyone who is an expert on the Hijack Logs who could suggest what, if anything, else I should be taking action on?

Finally, is it normal to have over 200 desktop.ini files on my system? Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks again for all the support.

Bodhi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back