Lucasfilm reportedly puts Star Wars spinoffs on hold following mediocre Solo performance

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: Are audiences suffering from Star Wars fatigue? It’s starting to look like a possibility. A report claims plans for any future spin-off movies have been put on hold following the disappointing performance of Solo: A Star Wars Story.

While the $84 million Solo made on its opening weekend would be a respectable amount for most movies, it paled in comparison to other Star Wars titles, such as the excellent Rogue One, which opened to $155 million and grossed $424 million domestic by its fourth week (Solo had reached $192.8 million domestically by week 4).

In its defense, Solo was competing with Avengers: Infinity War and Deadpool 2, both of which were released a few weeks earlier. But the story of young Han Solo did receive mixed reviews, whereas Rogue One was almost universally praised.

As reported by Collider, Lucasfilm has now decided to put any new spinoff movies on hold and will instead concentrate on Star Wars: Episode IX, which is due in December 2019, before moving on to the next Star Wars trilogy—one that will be separate from the Skywalker saga. The Last Jedi writer/director Rian Johnson will develop the new movies.

There had been numerous reports that an Obi-Wan Kenobi standalone movie was being planned by Lucasfilm, as was a spinoff story focused on bounty hunter Boba Fett, but it seems both of these have been put on pause for the foreseeable future.

The decision reportedly won’t affect the live-action TV shows and the series of films being developed by Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

Permalink to story.

That is what happens when Disney try's to control everything... Just milk everything they can. I hope FOX doesn't sell their studios to them too.

You have to love stories based on such reliable "Sources with knowledge of the situation"....

While this might be true, I wouldn't be so quick to call this "fact" until a little more evidence shows up.

Blockbusters are done with, the Silver screen is where its at. You want quality at good price? Go watch TV Shows like Westworld, GOT, Punisher etc...

I said it before, and I'll say it again (and continue to say it as long as the topic comes up): Solo did poorly because Episode VIII was garbage. It has little to do with other major movies coming out at the same time, no one wants to spend money to see Disney **** on the franchise more.

It's fatigue of bad Star Wars movies that is the problem. Disney intentionally ran the simple functional theme/story mechanics of Star Wars right into the dirt.

I don't trust them to make good Star Wars movies anymore and I vote with my wallet. Its not the amount of Star Wars films, it's the fact that they are really bad, and this is the inevitable outcome.

The one exception for me was Rogue One, I did enjoy that.

Personally, I think this entire series has run it's course and more spin offs aren't going to help .....

I said it before, and I'll say it again (and continue to say it as long as the topic comes up): Solo did poorly because Episode VIII was garbage. It has little to do with other major movies coming out at the same time, no one wants to spend money to see Disney **** on the franchise more.
Exactly! I gave up on star wars after that movie

Aw, poor babies! They didn't make a billion dollars off this movie, now they're taking their light saber back, and going home to pout.:(

When Disney screws the small movie studios, I don't care if they sell or not. And that is coming from a Star Wars fan.

Blockbusters are done with, the Silver screen is where its at. You want quality at good price? Go watch TV Shows like Westworld, GOT, Punisher etc...

Yes I totally agree with you!

We find we are watching more TV series than what we are movies these days. For some reason movies are not enjoyable anymore or perhaps we have been spoilt with a quality TV series?

Or perhaps it's just that we connect more with the characters of a TV series than what we do with characters in the movies?

Either way we have been watching more TV series these days than movies.

Yes I totally agree with you!

We find we are watching more TV series than what we are movies these days. For some reason movies are not enjoyable anymore or perhaps we have been spoilt with a quality TV series?

Or perhaps it's just that we connect more with the characters of a TV series than what we do with characters in the movies?

Either way we have been watching more TV series these days than movies.

I think its a simple time issue. A movie has to tell a complete story in 2-3 hours. TV shows have between 8 and 20 hours per season. Effects and quality film making equipment have gotten so cheap that the barrier to entry is vastly lower then it was just a decade ago. So with a decent budget a TV show can rival a movie in effects and quality and it can beat it in story.

Im with you, I think movies will continue to be cannibalized by TV and eventually the entire concept of a movie theater will be as quaint and old fashioned as a drive in theater is to kids today.

2 things:

1) people aren't watching SOLO because Star Wars Episode VIII sucked!

2) You can't blame Disney for this, you know what else Disney bought?? Marvel studios and they have been KILLING IT with their latest releases .... blame that CLOWN Rian Johnson ... easily trashed the latest trilogy .... terrible writing/directing ... Won't watch another Star Wars movie in theaters until they change directors/writers

2 things:

1) people aren't watching SOLO because Star Wars Episode VIII sucked!

2) You can't blame Disney for this, you know what else Disney bought?? Marvel studios and they have been KILLING IT with their latest releases .... blame that CLOWN Rian Johnson ... easily trashed the latest trilogy .... terrible writing/directing ... Won't watch another Star Wars movie in theaters until they change directors/writers
Yeah... the hundreds of millions each Star Wars film has made has conclusively proved that “no one” watched Solo....

I still think the only "moral" of this news, is Disney.s legendary greed, and sense of entitlement with respect to box office receipts.

Good or bad. I can afford to wait for this movie to show up at Redbox, barring any terminal illness I may be suffering from, but of which I am blissfully unaware.

"Solo", is likely worth $1.75 to watch, which would be the current one day rental fee.

Disney's other recent offering, "A Wrinkle in Time", however stunk to high heaven. It's alleged big star quality draw, was supposed to be, ."Orca" Winfrey, which I found to be its complete undoing.

But I suppose, there's no accounting for taste. If a four times life size, representation of a demigod, presented as a post menopausal Beyonce fighting a weight problem, with a gaudy sense of tacky fashion in the extreme is what floats your boat, by all means, buy the Blu-Ray collector's edition. :sticksfingerdownthroat: and :rollseyes:

Back