Malwarebytes steps into the VPN space with WireGuard-based service

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Malwarebytes is joining the list of antivirus companies that also offer a VPN. Called Malwarebytes Privacy, the service uses a “newer and faster protocol”: WireGuard.

Available now for Windows 7 and higher—Mac, Android, iOS, and Chrome OS are coming soon—Malwarebytes Privacy costs $59.99 per year. You can also get it bundled with a 1-year license of Malwarebytes Premium for $89.99, saving buyers $49.99. Both options cover up to five devices.

Malwarebytes Privacy uses 256-bit AES encryption to secure connections, and the company promises it doesn’t keep people’s activity logs. “Other VPNs may be tracking your online activity for various purposes. Malwarebytes Privacy does not log your online activities, whether it's browsing or accessing any websites,” it writes.

At launch, there are over 180 servers in 30 countries, giving users a large choice of where they can appear to be located. Malwarebytes says a trusted third-party built the network infrastructure, while its developers created the app and other components.

The most appealing part of the service is its use of the new WireGuard protocol. Faster than the commonly used OpenVPN and IKEv2/IPsec, WireGuard is only now being adopted by major VPN companies, and Malwarebytes appears to be the only antivirus firm with a VPN using the new protocol.

It appears that Malwarebytes Privacy is the first product from the company in a series of non-malware-related software. The firm called it "the first offering in an emerging suite of privacy products," so we could see it release the likes of password managers and identify theft protection in the future.

You can securely download the free version of Malwarebytes here. The company also makes the popular AdwCleaner that detects and deletes adware.

Permalink to story.

Owned and hosted by a US company (5-eyes member).
Unless you're a terrorist you have no problems. Why? Because of these little things called warrants. Without them, MalwareBytes can tell the government of the US to go shove it. And they don't exactly hand out warrants like candy. There must be probable cause.

So, before you go spout of crap like this, learn your rights. Go read the Bill of Rights, study up on the rights you have and quit spreading tinfoil hat crap around here.

Owned and hosted by a US company (5-eyes member). Although they claim not to keep logs, I would still caution against them on their jurisdiction alone. I'd check out https://thatoneprivacysite.net/ for a detailed VPN comparison chart to help decide which is right for you.

yup I'll stick to expressvpn.

Once this is independently reviewed after few months and depending on that outcome I may recommend to someone else.

Unless you're a terrorist you have no problems. Why? Because of these little things called warrants. Without them, MalwareBytes can tell the government of the US to go shove it. And they don't exactly hand out warrants like candy. There must be probable cause.

So, before you go spout of crap like this, learn your rights. Go read the Bill of Rights, study up on the rights you have and quit spreading tinfoil hat crap around here.

Its cute that you think a Warrant will protect you from the NSA or any of the Federal agencies.

First of all, the NSA doesn't collect on US citizens; the law literally makes that illegal. Second, I'm more worried about the FBI since they're the ones that can legally do something to you.

And as far as needing protection, as long as you're not doing something bad/blatantly illegal you shouldn't have to worry. What could you possibly be doing that you'd be that worried about authorities coming after you? You might want to rethink some things in your life if you are.

If you're an average person just posting stuff on the Internet and you're not doing illegal things, you don't even need a VPN in the first place. All of these VPN services are nothing more than snake oil that are capitalizing on people like you, @Lionvibez, who have their tinfoil hats on too tight.

Last edited:
First of all, the NSA doesn't collect on US citizens; the law literally makes that illegal. Second, I'm more worried about the FBI since they're the ones that can legally do something to you.

And as far as needing protection, as long as you're not doing something bad/blatantly illegal you shouldn't have to worry. What could you possibly be doing that you'd be that worried about authorities coming after you? You might want to rethink some things in your life if you are.

If you're an average person just posting stuff on the Internet and you're not doing illegal things, you don't even need a VPN in the first place. All of these VPN services are nothing more than snake oil that are capitalizing on people like you, @Lionvibez, who have their tinfoil hats on too tight.

I see you missed the part back in 2013 where the NSA was literally caught spying on Americans in the Snowden leaks. But don't worry, it's still illegal, so I'm sure they won't be doing it now right?

I'll just leave this, and highly advise you (and everyone else) to read it. I doubt you'll take it seriously, but it's incredibly ridiculous that you'll treat anyone who wants privacy as guilty until proven innocent. Wanting privacy is not for just criminals, as you seem to think. By that logic, why close the door on a bathroom stall? People know you're sh*tting in there, why are you hiding it? Obviously because even if you're not doing something *wrong*, it's perfectly normal not to want people looking at everything you do.

You do realize that every time you walk out your house you risk your privacy.

Use a credit card? Oops, your privacy is gone.
Go to a grocery store? Oops, you're on camera.
Stop at a traffic light? Oops, you're on camera.
Buy things online? Oops, they track that.
Have a bank account? Oops, they have data on you.
Filed your taxes? Oops, the government knows about you.
Have a driver's license? Oops, the government knows about you.

I really could go on and on and on all day, but you know, keep on believing that you have privacy. Keep thinking that. Meanwhile, I'm going to just sit back and not worry about frivolous crap like that; I have more important things to worry about. You know, like living, working... and not catching COVID-19.

Oh, and Snowden was a f***ing traitor.

You do realize that every time you walk out your house you risk your privacy.

Use a credit card? Oops, your privacy is gone.
Go to a grocery store? Oops, you're on camera.
Stop at a traffic light? Oops, you're on camera.
Buy things online? Oops, they track that.
Have a bank account? Oops, they have data on you.
Filed your taxes? Oops, the government knows about you.
Have a driver's license? Oops, the government knows about you.

I really could go on and on and on all day, but you know, keep on believing that you have privacy. Keep thinking that. Meanwhile, I'm going to just sit back and not worry about frivolous crap like that; I have more important things to worry about. You know, like living, working... and not catching COVID-19.

Oh, and Snowden was a f***ing traitor.

So what you're saying is that it's better to just give up? Also nice side-stepping the snowden thing that directly proved your point wrong that "the NSA can't track you, that's illegal" .

So what you're saying is that it's better to just give up?
If I have to go so far out of my way and change so many parts of my life to maintain privacy, I don't consider it to be worth it. Like everything in life, there has to be a happy medium; somewhere in the middle where I can still participate in modern life while not sounding like I'm a complete nutjob.

The kind of privacy that some people long for just cannot be achieved anymore by virtue of existing in the modern world. You cannot have 100% privacy but there are definitely people who think that they should have which is virtually impossible. This is the camp where I think you're placing yourself into. The only way that's possible is to live life off the grid and that's not something that I would even come close to considering.
Also nice side-stepping the snowden thing that directly proved your point wrong that "the NSA can't track you, that's illegal" .
Snowden really didn't know what was going on, he jumped to conclusions and ran off half-cocked. He spread conspiracies and got everyone all riled up over nothing. So yes, he is a traitor... a traitor in the sense that he made people panic over absolutely nothing.

I see you missed the part back in 2013 where the NSA was literally caught spying on Americans in the Snowden leaks. But don't worry, it's still illegal, so I'm sure they won't be doing it now right?

I'll just leave this, and highly advise you (and everyone else) to read it. I doubt you'll take it seriously, but it's incredibly ridiculous that you'll treat anyone who wants privacy as guilty until proven innocent. Wanting privacy is not for just criminals, as you seem to think. By that logic, why close the door on a bathroom stall? People know you're sh*tting in there, why are you hiding it? Obviously because even if you're not doing something *wrong*, it's perfectly normal not to want people looking at everything you do.

THIS! So much this. Well said.

You must have missed the patriot act and the snowden revelations. Here's an article on your new supreme court justice Brett Kavanaugh, which directly touches base with the current privacy issues in the united states: https://fee.org/articles/the-constitutional-reasons-to-oppose-kavanaugh-for-the-supreme-court/

Regardless of what you think of Snowden, the fact of the matter is the government in the US doesn't need permission for a judge to snap up your VPN data. They can do it and they can force a gag order all without anything being made public.

"Snowden really didn't know what was going on, he jumped to conclusions and ran off half-cocked. He spread conspiracies and got everyone all riled up over nothing. So yes, he is a traitor... a traitor in the sense that he made people panic over absolutely nothing. "

He leaked documents to back what he said up. That hurt US intelligence and that's what makes him a traitor. Not that he spread conspiracies. Obviously the US government would have never bothered with some random conspiracy theorist if they didn't think what he said wasn't true. Alex Jones and Rush Limbaugh are full blow proof of that. That's the difference between someone backing their words up vs two windbags.

I think if you are going to go after someone for spreading fake conspiracies that are costing America lives, there's an orange guy in the white house on that every day.

Last edited:
judge to snap up your VPN data
It still needs a warrant and a warrant can only be gotten through a judge. And do you really think that a judge is going to just hand them warrants out like candy? No, there needs to be probable cause to get that warrant.

Not only that but if the data was acquired through less than legal means, you can have all that data they collected dismissed in your trial. Any good lawyer will see to that. And last time I checked; you still need legal advisement (a lawyer) when you go to court. We may be going down a dark path but we ain't China.

So yeah, the data may be collected but if said data was collected illegally your lawyer should have the balls to have said data dismissed as inadmissible in court.

The laws are there to protect you, you just need to know what laws are there and the rights you have. I know my rights. Do you? The legal system counts on the fact that most people don't know their rights. Don't be one of those people who don't know their rights.

The first questions I'd have in court would be "How was that data acquired? Was a proper warrant served first?" If I don't like the answers, I would make d*mn sure that my lawyer had all evidence dismissed with prejudice. And to those with no legal knowledge, that means that everything would have to go back to square one with warrants and everything.

Last edited:
It still needs a warrant and a warrant can only be gotten through a judge. And do you really think that a judge is going to just hand them warrants out like candy? No, there needs to be probable cause to get that warrant.

Not only that but if the data was acquired through less than legal means, you can have all that data they collected dismissed in your trial. Any good lawyer will see to that. And last time I checked; you still need legal advisement (a lawyer) when you go to court. We may be going down a dark path but we ain't China.

So yeah, the data may be collected but if said data was collected illegally your lawyer should have the balls to have said data dismissed as inadmissible in court.

The laws are there to protect you, you just need to know what laws are there and the rights you have. I know my rights. Do you?

Wrong

"In 2015, for instance, Kavanaugh called the National Security Agency's mass collection of Americans' telephone records "entirely consistent with the Fourth Amendment." According to the logic of a 1979 decision in which the Supreme Court approved warrantless police access to the phone numbers dialed by a robbery suspect "

It's kind of obvious though, how else did the NSA get all that data without issuing warrants for the vast majority of it.

Last edited:
The 5 Eyes spy on each other for each other.

"The UKUSA Agreement is an agreement between the United Kingdom, United States, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand to cooperatively collect, analyze, and share intelligence. Members of this group, known as the Five Eyes, focus on gathering and analyzing intelligence from different parts of the world. While Five Eyes countries have agreed to not spy on each other as adversaries, leaks by Snowden have revealed that some Five Eyes members monitor each other's citizens and share intelligence to avoid breaking domestic laws that prohibit them from spying on their own citizens. The Five Eyes alliance also cooperates with groups of third-party countries to share intelligence (forming the Nine Eyes and Fourteen Eyes); however, Five Eyes and third-party countries can and do spy on each other."

"Over the last 16 months, as I've debated this issue around the world, every single time somebody has said to me, "I don't really worry about invasions of privacy because I don't have anything to hide." I always say the same thing to them. I get out a pen, I write down my email address. I say, "Here's my email address. What I want you to do when you get home is email me the passwords to all of your email accounts, not just the nice, respectable work one in your name, but all of them, because I want to be able to just troll through what it is you're doing online, read what I want to read and publish whatever I find interesting. After all, if you're not a bad person, if you're doing nothing wrong, you should have nothing to hide." Not a single person has taken me up on that offer."

Last edited:
Obviously that person did not know his rights. If I were in his position I'd be screaming "LAWYER!!!" at top of my lungs repeatedly even as they shoved me into the back of the squad car. I'd be still screaming it as they drive me down to the precinct. They'd have to literally put a bullet in me to make me shut up.

lol I don't even need to respond to this everyone else did for me :)

Back