Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffader

I just got 2 more gigs of Memory so I could have 4 gigs, however on 3 gigs show here is some info, can anyone help out? I tried rearranging the memory but it still comes up 3 instead of 4 thanks....

Field Value
CPU Properties
CPU Type DualCore Intel Pentium D 940, 3200 MHz (12 x 267)
CPU Alias Presler
Instruction Set x86, x86-64, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Original Clock 3200 MHz
Min / Max CPU Multiplier 12x / 16x
Engineering Sample No
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache 16 KB
L2 Cache 2 MB (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

Multi CPU
Motherboard ID Intel Lakeport
CPU #0 Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20GHz, 3192 MHz
CPU #1 Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20GHz, 3192 MHz

CPU Manufacturer
Company Name Intel Corporation
Product Information http://www.intel.com/products/browse/processor.htm

CPU Utilization
CPU #1 / Core #1 / HTT Unit #1 0 %
CPU #1 / Core #1 / HTT Unit #2 11 %

Device Description
DIMM1: Samsung M3 78T2953CZ3-CE6
DIMM2: Samsung M3 78T2953CZ3-CE6
DIMM3: 1 GB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM
DIMM4: Kingston (1 GB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)

I did some research and found that a person installed 4 gigs into an XP Pro O.S. He only had 3 gigs "showing" as well. I ran across several posts like this. Some said they read 3.2 gigs of ram. Ask mocrosoft. I am going to, (now). Good Luck.

your OS is probably a 32-bit. there are 64-bit OS's, but there is not much compatable with them. i looked into this for hours, even something as simpe as antivirus is hard to find with a 64-bit OS.

32 only supports 3 gb i believe

64 is made for 4+

okay

How or what defines a 64 bit system? Im still a little confused about this! I have Xp pr0, and a dual core pentium D

The operating system determines whether its 64bit or not. You have the 32bit version. If you didn't it would say Windows XP 64bit Edition on the startup screen.

Your PentiumD will run a 64bit OS, so you get the 64bit XP or Vista and use that. But you won't be able to use that 4 gigs in 32bit XP.

SNGX1275 said:
The operating system determines whether its 64bit or not. You have the 32bit version. If you didn't it would say Windows XP 64bit Edition on the startup screen.

Your PentiumD will run a 64bit OS, so you get the 64bit XP or Vista and use that. But you won't be able to use that 4 gigs in 32bit XP.

arent there a lot of problems trying to find 64-bit compatable software?

Okay

So can I just upgrade my xp pro to 64bit? And as the last guy posted will this be a problem with software? or games?

What you can do first is delete your Windows cache. The reason or part of the reason you only see 3GB of memory is because Windows counts virtual (hard drive) memory towards total system memory, and because Windows XP can address only 4GB of memory and your computer already has a GB of virtual memory addressed then you lose the extra GB of actual memory you have installed.

If you do delete your cache, I don't know if any or all of your programs will still work.

Windows XP will reserve 2GB of memory for its self and leave 2GB for other program usage.

You'll have to enable the memory remapping feature in your BIOS to protect some memory addresses allocated to the PCI system. I think it's the PCI system. :)

If you do all of this and it still doesn't work and you ask me why it doesn't work, I'm gonna say, "I don't know." because I don't have any experience with 4GB of memory and everything I've just spued at you is from various posts I've read.

UltimoAviso said:
arent there a lot of problems trying to find 64-bit compatable software?
No. There may be some problems finding drivers for some more obscure hardware, common hardware shouldn't be a problem though. Programs won't be a problem, XP64 will run 32bit programs just fine.

You can't just 'upgrade' to 64bit XP though, it will require a clean install.

I'm running pro 64, drivers arent hard to find now that its been out for a while. Vista pretty much forced software company to get with the 64bit program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back