Microsoft drops Forza 7 launch trailer and playable demo today

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

Microsoft Studios just released the official launch trailer for Forza Motorsport 7 this morning, precisely two weeks before the game's release. The video does not show off anything that you would not already expect from the photo-realistic racer, but it does look gorgeous.

The trailer showcases a variety of cars, from F1 to tuner, racing under various track conditions including rain. The game will support Microsoft’s high-end Xbox One X and PCs with native 4K in HDR at 60fps when it releases on October 3.

If the trailer isn't enough, and you can’t wait to feel what it’s like, then you are in luck because Redmond also just dropped a playable demo into the Microsoft Store that'll surely give you a good taste of what’s to come.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

All these windows 10 haters. People are just afraid of change. The last 2 years of using Windows 10 have been the most problem free, stress-free time on a windows OS I have ever had.

So is the demo on the Windows Store?

All these windows 10 haters. People are just afraid of change. The last 2 years of using Windows 10 have been the most problem free, stress-free time on a windows OS I have ever had.

So is the demo on the Windows Store?

Well good for you mate, I'm glad you are having a good experience. Quit assuming we all hate it because of "change" though because that isn't always the case. I have been using 10 since it came out (and while in beta), and I want to like it, I really really do. There are just too many issues in certain environments and certain usage scenarios though to make it good. I for instance work in IT and am responsible for deploying Windows 10 to over 400 users, and one major issue for example is many of Microsoft's group policies either don't work or break things which it is very frustrating. Not to mention several updates often break or cause other issues. W10 is a nightmare to manage and deploy, and this is coming from someone who actually in the past has loved Windows. M$ however has been giving the proverbial middle finger to its largest customer, the enterprise market with just about every aspect of Windows 10.

That being said, I also tried W10 on my personal computer at home. It worked fairly well actually but there were many parts of the UI I just didn't like. It has made many tasks more difficult and time consuming, requiring more clicks. So I went back to Windows 7 and have no plans to go to W10 (despite the latest 1703 update actually adding and improving some UI elements I had issues with). I just don't want to deal with the hassle until I absolutely have to.

Well good for you mate, I'm glad you are having a good experience. Quit assuming we all hate it because of "change" though because that isn't always the case. I have been using 10 since it came out (and while in beta), and I want to like it, I really really do. There are just too many issues in certain environments and certain usage scenarios though to make it good. I for instance work in IT and am responsible for deploying Windows 10 to over 400 users, and one major issue for example is many of Microsoft's group policies either don't work or break things which it is very frustrating. Not to mention several updates often break or cause other issues. W10 is a nightmare to manage and deploy, and this is coming from someone who actually in the past has loved Windows. M$ however has been giving the proverbial middle finger to its largest customer, the enterprise market with just about every aspect of Windows 10.

That being said, I also tried W10 on my personal computer at home. It worked fairly well actually but there were many parts of the UI I just didn't like. It has made many tasks more difficult and time consuming, requiring more clicks. So I went back to Windows 7 and have no plans to go to W10 (despite the latest 1703 update actually adding and improving some UI elements I had issues with). I just don't want to deal with the hassle until I absolutely have to.

Yooooo. I work IT in a hospital with over 11,000 computers active on our domain. All of Information systems are currently on Windows 10. Sure there are hurdles to get it deployed but that does not make it a bad OS. Windows 7 deployment was not an easy task because of the policies on it either, but over time we conquered it and now its something we can call "easy".

Yooooo. I work IT in a hospital with over 11,000 computers active on our domain. All of Information systems are currently on Windows 10. Sure there are hurdles to get it deployed but that does not make it a bad OS. Windows 7 deployment was not an easy task because of the policies on it either, but over time we conquered it and now its something we can call "easy".
Do you have a lot of restrictions in place, custom layouts for Start and taskbar, removal of apps that you can't hide with AppLocker? We do and we've had a hell of a time trying to get things to work properly and as desired. Some pinned Start items simply didn't work through the customlayout XML and had to be done from the default user profile before image capture. And yes I remember 7 had some difficult spots but I feel this has been worse. If we couldn't get it done through a admx template we could do it through registry. Not having the same luck with W10... not to mention if you remove some things from W10 it can break the Start menu.

Anyway, I didn't say it was a bad OS, I just don't feel it is worth the hassle right now as W7 does everything we need. Unfortunately we have a few devices like Microsoft Surface tablets that only work with W10. We were trying to put 10 on everything but just ran into so many issues we decided to hold off.

Last edited:
Played it just now. Wow graphics are superb! Game is polished very nice! Project Cars 2 better Kick A$$.

Forza 7 will be good competition for Project Cars 2 for sure. But, I'll probably get both anyway! Love racing games!

I played the demo last night and here is what I experienced.

First a brief summary of my PC specs:
i7 7700k
GTX1080ti
16 gigs DDR4 RAM

So immediately I turned all of the settings up to ultra. I turned off all of the dynamic settings and cranked it to the max. First I played the game in 1080p on my PC monitor because I won't invest in a 4k until I can get one with at least 144hz at a reasonable price. So basically in like 3 years. Anyway, the game held a rock solid 60fps and looked gorgeous. Definitely the best looking Forza to date. Then I tried it out on my 4K TV. I didn't think 4K would make much of a difference, but wow did it look great. The detail is incredible. Again, the game ran at a rock solid 60fps with everything cranked all the way up. I was impressed.

One thing I wasn't impressed about in terms of graphics is the game is capped at 60fps on PC. This makes no sense to me and I'm hoping it will be patched at a later date. I can understand the cap on console, but not PC. Also navigating the menus was an annoying experience. They were choppy and just not smooth most of the time. It was really strange and I'm hoping it's just a bug in the demo. What I found odd was the choppiness was not as frequent when running the game at 4K. This was a minor annoyance though.

In terms of gameplay, it's about what you would expect from a Forza game. It's not a sim or an arcade, but somewhere in between. I believe the new term thrown around the internet is "simcade" racer. Anyway, if you love the way Forza feels, well, it's still Forza. Now I only played the game with an Xbox One controller. I wish I had a wheel to test, but I don't. On that note, I've heard very bad things about wheel compatibility and a lack of force feedback, which is a huge disappointment.

Even though I enjoyed the gameplay, the Porsche 911 GT2 RS didn't feel right. It just didn't feel like a Porsche. There was a lot of understeer and it was really easy to lose the back end with even a slight amount of throttle input in the corners. I'm sure this can be fixed with tuning, but a stock GT2 RS would handle better than it does in the game. To give an example, think of a 900HP car on a road course with worn out street tires. That's basically how it felt.

Anyway, I've got the game preordered. I am a big Forza fan, so I'm pretty loyal to the series. Regardless of my loyalty, I think the game would be a solid buy for anyone who isn't looking for a hardcore sim, but also doesn't want something too arcady like something out of the Need for Speed series.

Just be weary of the wheel support. On the Forza forums, it's pretty much universal that there are no wheels out there that feel right in the game. If you were looking forward to the game and have been dying to play it with your fancy wheel, you might want to wait to pick it up or avoid it all together if this is a deal breaker.

Last edited:
Back