Microsoft's latest fix for Windows 10 breaks something else

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: It appears that Microsoft has found itself in a position where it will have to issue a fix for a fix. A patch the company pushed out on September 10 is reportedly breaking the Search option in the Start menu and Taskbar.

The KB4515384 patch was released to address an issue related to Cortana and the search box. It seems that following an update, the SearchUI.exe process was causing spikes in CPU usage.

While the patch does seem to have fixed the CPU spiking, it’s brought new issues for certain users. Some Redditors write that performing searches via the Start menu brings up a blank window, while others say a Critical Error warning is informing them that 'Your Start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in.'

Microsoft is reportedly aware of the problem and is now working on yet another fix. Until then, users who haven’t installed the patch might have to decide which is the least annoying issue: CPU spikes from using Cortana and search or having no working search option at all.

As noted by TechRepublic, other unfixed problems in version 1903 of Windows 10, in addition to the CPU spiking, include some PCs failing to install updates, and the discrete Nvidia GPU disappearing from Device Manager in the Surface Book 2.

Back in July, Microsoft started to force-update Windows 10 machines from version 1803 to 1903.

Permalink to story.

I haven't experienced any issues yet. I believe my update came in last night.
Me too. Once again we have an article with a sensational headline all for the clicks. Because you know, we have to have the clickbait to rile up the haters and trolls.

I, myself, have no issues. None. The Start Menu works as intended and I just tested it myself. I brought the Start Menu up, typed in "Control" and sure enough "Control Panel" was one of the results. So yeah... not as widespread an issue as these clickbait articles would like you to believe.

I used update assistant a couple weeks ago to update to 1903 and I don't have any complaints yet.
Last night I ran sfc /scannow in safe mode (found and corrected corruptions) and DISM online (fixes applied) to try to keep things in order, since I haven't done either in a very long time.

*Fingers crossed*

And I just love how they force these updates on us

A Thank You From Microsoft

By purchasing Microsoft Windows 10, you are now a Valued Member of the Microsoft Windows Unit Testing Team! Please do not tell us about issues and problems you encounter while using Windows 10 - we just want you to tell us Good Things! We will review and ignore your experiences when developing future versions of Windows, and you may not win valuable prizes! In addition, your status as a Valued Team Member does not qualify you for discounts on other Microsoft products! Thank you for purchasing Microsoft Windows 10! We look forward to more of your money in the future!

I've been on vacation for 9 days and before I left, I made sure to download/install all updates and make sure my W10 MSI GS40 laptop was running fine.
After happliy using the hotel's wifi for several days, I turn on my laptop and it can't connect anymore. It turn out that a windows update killed my killer Nic wifi driver. The device could not be found and there was no hard line to jack into. Man, the last thing I want to do on vacation is ****ing computer repair. So I uninstall the update, hoping it will resolve things... nope. I then disable windows crapdates by disabling the service and use my phone to download drivers from the laptop manufacturer website hoping that I can still transfer the file through usb.
All said and done, I finally got it working after wasting time on my vacation. I will definitely keep windows update service turned off and only turn it back on when I'm ready. Forced updates during inconvenient times is bad enough, forced corrupt updates really makes me not want to reccomend or buy another laptop with Microsoft Windows.

And I just love how they force these updates on us

A Thank You From Microsoft

By purchasing Microsoft Windows 10, you are now a Valued Member of the Microsoft Windows Unit Testing Team! Please do not tell us about issues and problems you encounter while using Windows 10 - we just want you to tell us Good Things! We will review and ignore your experiences when developing future versions of Windows, and you may not win valuable prizes! In addition, your status as a Valued Team Member does not qualify you for discounts on other Microsoft products! Thank you for purchasing Microsoft Windows 10! We look forward to more of your money in the future!

LOL! gave me a good laugh. Though anymore, how many "early access" games have we all purchased that undergo the same type of issues. It just seems to be the way of modern day computing and what we the consumer has said is okay. Hey at least in Microshaft's defense, for many end users was completely free. Sad though how the start menu search is still totally worthless and busted.

Lol when you have as much code as software like the windows operating system has, there are always going to be bugs, that's just a fact. Software development is like that, so I'm just saying that your facepalm star trek meme is not really necessary IMO.

This could all be avoided if MS would just let people purchase/use their LTSB/LTSC verison of W10. Instead, if you want a lightweight W10 install without forced updates that inevitably break things, you'll have to pirate and crack it.

HAHA ! Who uses Cortana? I shut that off after the first time I tried it.

MS should lay off their developers from October thru May every year, then let then tinker under the hood and make updates once a year. Did I really need a new email.msg icon or those hard-to-see stick figure toolbar buttons? NO! I've gotten along just fine with the old ones for FOREVER!

It's like if Senior Olivetti sent around tech's once a year and moved some of the keypads on everyone's typewriter! BALLDERSASH I SAY!

This is why I had to pay extra on my last custom built computer for Windows 7. Microsoft making updates mandatory proves there are a bunch of incompetents working there. This is about the 500th time I've read about an update breaking computers

I got a bigger problem with windows 10...

Sometimes when im watching a youtube video, the pc restarts and sometimes enters a boot loop

That didnt use to happen in windows 7

If Windows 10 is as bad as everything says it is we'd be having article after article after article every day of the week, non-stop from morning to night. These issues are very isolated issues or again, as I said before, we'd be having far more people complaining. You'd be seeing it on the front page of every technology web site you can possibly think of from morning to night. You wouldn't be able to escape the coverage of the issues since every day it would be right there on the front page. Microsoft would be the topic from morning to night, every day of the week.

I contribute all of the hate about Windows 10 to just plain trolls and haters because haters are going to hate. The minority often screams with the loudest voices. Meanwhile, the vast majority of people have no issues at all (including myself).

I got a bigger problem with windows 10...

Sometimes when im watching a youtube video, the pc restarts and sometimes enters a boot loop

That didnt use to happen in windows 7
Sounds like buggy drivers to me; quit blaming the OS for buggy drivers. Put the blame where the blame is due, the hardware makers that write crappy code. I'm looking at you nVidia and AMD! You two are the worst of them all.

I had to uninstall the KB patch on one of my PCs because I experienced this CPU spiking with Craptana and, when I typed something into the start menu, it went blank.

Typical of M$ and my experience of Windohs 10 on that PC.

If Windows 10 is as bad as everything says it is we'd be having article after article after article every day of the week, non-stop from morning to night. These issues are very isolated issues or again, as I said before, we'd be having far more people complaining. You'd be seeing it on the front page of every technology web site you can possibly think of from morning to night. You wouldn't be able to escape the coverage of the issues since every day it would be right there on the front page. Microsoft would be the topic from morning to night, every day of the week.

I contribute all of the hate about Windows 10 to just plain trolls and haters because haters are going to hate. The minority often screams with the loudest voices. Meanwhile, the vast majority of people have no issues at all (including myself).
Actually, the issue and it's solution was out there widely on September 3, 2019.

Yes, we know. You have had no issues so no one else has had issues. Perfectly logical conclusion. :facepalm:

The Picard facepalm? It would seem that Techspot does indeed have a sense of humor! Very nice.

This problem doesn't affect me as I don't use and indeed disable(delete) Cortana and the built in Windows search crap for a much better and more useful search tool(FileSearchEX).

HAHA ! Who uses Cortana? I shut that off after the first time I tried it.

MS should lay off their developers from October thru May every year, then let then tinker under the hood and make updates once a year. Did I really need a new email.msg icon or those hard-to-see stick figure toolbar buttons? NO! I've gotten along just fine with the old ones for FOREVER!

It's like if Senior Olivetti sent around tech's once a year and moved some of the keypads on everyone's typewriter! BALLDERSASH I SAY!
Actually, I had completely disabled Craptana and I still had the issue.

Back