Microsoft's Surface Duo could launch in three weeks

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: Are you looking forward to Microsoft’s Surface Duo? If so, here’s some good news: the Android-based device is reportedly launching in just over three weeks, putting it up against Samsung’s new Galaxy Z Fold 2 and Galaxy Z Flip 5G.

News of the release date comes courtesy of Windows Central, which writes that the Surface Duo will launch during the week of August 24, 2020, and that production of the device has already begun.

The Surface Duo has appeared more than once this year. YouTube user Israel Rodriguez noticed the dual-screen handset while using the subway back in February, and it’s popped up in regulatory certification filings. Microsoft’s corporate president of commercial management experiences, Brad Anderson, was also using one in a video promoting the company’s Shiproom YouTube series.

We know that Microsoft is pushing the Windows 10X-powered Surface Neo back to next year, but the Surface Duo was unaffected by the delay.

Releasing the Surface Duo near the end of September would put it up against Samsung’s Galaxy Note 20, Galaxy Z Fold 2, and the 5G version of the Galaxy Z Flip. The Korean firm’s Unpacked event takes place on August 5, and the handsets are expected to launch a few weeks afterward—though there are reports that the big three devices could release at monthly intervals.

The Duo doesn’t use a folding screen like the Galaxy Fold or Huawei Mate X—it’s two separate 5.6-inch screens linked together—but that should mean it will avoid the display issues true foldables have faced. It features a 4:3 aspect ratio, 1,800 x 1,350 (401 PPI) resolution, a Snapdragon 855, 6GB of RAM, up to 256GB of storage, and ships with a Surface Pen. No word on price, but it's speculated to start at $999. If that's correct, the Duo could be around half the price of the Galaxy Z Fold 2

Permalink to story.

Eventually they will get it right .... the question is whether I will live long enough to see it, or even care ....

Great concept and nice gadget. Would like to have smth similar, but wont beta testing it ;)

I'll definitely check out the Duo, but I prefer smaller phones and I don't need a tablet.

The form factor will be interesting. The good thing for Microsoft this time around is they don't need to build and support an app ecosystem. They'll be playing to their strengths in this space, which are the strong Surface brand and their high quality apps and services that run on all platforms.

I have no interest in buying any of these - but M/S generally make good quality stuff - I have a surface pro for out and about to update for my business . I think the dual screen is less trouble free and opens more useful tools for great apps. or more interesting mobile games - or just as a productivity tool

This just looks terrible. Windows make poor operating systems and this is one that has no app support. And for $999!? Why would anyone pick this over an iPad Pro!

This just looks terrible. Windows make poor operating systems and this is one that has no app support. And for $999!? Why would anyone pick this over an iPad Pro!
OK Shadowboxer I'm going to comment on another of your posts . This one is just naive - It's an android phone - anyway apparently folks loved the M/S phones - nice light and snappy - just no apps etc . I tired of all you smarties bashing windows - given all the legacy crap - all the devices it supports - I would say if most folks run it with a limited account with windows defender and firewall - it's pretty safe and you would be unlucky to see a bluescreen - Most folks don't push their PCs like we do with large LAN, multiple Sata devices , old controllers to keep old device running .
Stick that Ipad Pro in your pocket with to do some quick work out and about - Isn't it grand Apple finally figured out how to attach a mouse or storage device to their pro kit - shame my son's ipad for school is too crap to have that magical ability

OK Shadowboxer I'm going to comment on another of your posts . This one is just naive - It's an android phone - anyway apparently folks loved the M/S phones - nice light and snappy - just no apps etc . I tired of all you smarties bashing windows - given all the legacy crap - all the devices it supports - I would say if most folks run it with a limited account with windows defender and firewall - it's pretty safe and you would be unlucky to see a bluescreen - Most folks don't push their PCs like we do with large LAN, multiple Sata devices , old controllers to keep old device running .
Stick that Ipad Pro in your pocket with to do some quick work out and about - Isn't it grand Apple finally figured out how to attach a mouse or storage device to their pro kit - shame my son's ipad for school is too crap to have that magical ability
An iPad Pro humiliates this joke of a device from MS. I’m willing to bet the market will prove me right. No ones going to buy this crap.

Back