Missing number in excel sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

patranihar

May I request you any one to guide me for the following problem.

I have the serial no. from 1 to 60,000 without missing number in one Microsoft excel file . And in other file I have serial no. 1 to 60,000 but it is missing number. How can i merge both the file so that automatically missing number will come out. For find out missing number will MS Access will be used. I don't have any idea on MS Access. Please guide me in detail step by step soon. it is very urgent for me.

Regards,

Nihar Patra

Do you just want to find out which number is missing or is it something that should happen automatically many times?

For a one-time job, paste the two columns together in a worksheet and for the third column, tell it to calculate A-B. Now scroll down C. The point where the result is no longer a zero is where the A and B columns differ.

(Yes, I know that there are functions that let you compare values etc, but I CBA to look them up)

Click on the data you wish to move, then right click on "Copy"
Now in the new document to which you wish to move it, using either Excel or Access, right click on "Paste" and it will copy the needed information.
For more discussion, you need a book or manual on Microsoft Office so you do not screw things up. It is too easy to make things worse with an instruction on a forum without being able to see the files.

Mising No.

Just i want to find out the missing number.
I followed mentioned steps privided by you, but didn't success.
We have 1 to 60,000 serial number mentioned in books (master file). we did stock verification & collected the numbers. now we would like to find out what are the missing number comparing collected number from our master file 1 to 60,000.

Please suggest, how can i find out missing number in one go.

With best regards,

Nihar

Nodsu said:
Do you just want to find out which number is missing or is it something that should happen automatically many times?

For a one-time job, paste the two columns together in a worksheet and for the third column, tell it to calculate A-B. Now scroll down C. The point where the result is no longer a zero is where the A and B columns differ.

(Yes, I know that there are functions that let you compare values etc, but I CBA to look them up)

So you actually want to find missing numbers, not a single number?

In that case you could use the MATCH function. Read The Friendly Help Files.

missing number

Dear Sir,

I have 1 to 60,000 serial numbers. But among 1 to 60,000 numbers there are some missing numbers. How can i find that what are the missing numebr in 1 to 60,000 numbers. e.g. 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10. Here serial numbers are 1 to 10. But there some missing number such as 4, 8. How can I know from large serial number i.e. 1 to 60,000.

Regards,

Nihar

raybay said:
Click on the data you wish to move, then right click on "Copy"
Now in the new document to which you wish to move it, using either Excel or Access, right click on "Paste" and it will copy the needed information.
For more discussion, you need a book or manual on Microsoft Office so you do not screw things up. It is too easy to make things worse with an instruction on a forum without being able to see the files.

Missing numbers

Dear Sir,
I went through your suggestion but couldn't.

I have 1 to 60,000 serial numbers. But among 1 to 60,000 numbers there are some missing numbers. How can i find that what are the missing numebr in 1 to 60,000 numbers. e.g. 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10. Here serial numbers are 1 to 10. But there some missing number such as 4, 8. How can I know from large serial number i.e. 1 to 60,000.

Regards,

Nihar

Nodsu said:
So you actually want to find missing numbers, not a single number?

In that case you could use the MATCH function. Read The Friendly Help Files.

Hum. You couldn't read Help? How can you read these forums then?

Also, "couldn't" means what?! You just didn't bother to and thought that someone would spoon-feed you some magic formula? Your computer exploded? You got a huge giant error box saying "You can't!"?

This is a business decision, and you need to know it is done correctly.
Get a good Excel manual such as the Excel Bible, Excel - The Missing Manual, Using Excel, Excel - Special Edition, or Mastering Excel... $35 to $65 new, or as low as $12 to $15 used. If you don't have a local source, go to www.amazon.com.
We are Excel experts, but without actually seeing the problem and how it is created, we are of no use to you. The explanation would take an hour, and might be incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back